naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Anybody experience with JL KWAD 5'4 ?

Postby naishdude » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:11 pm

hi all,

I am able to buy a Jimmy Lewis KWAD 5'4

I was wondering if it would suit me, where I live we have both wind driven waves, choppy etc also we have places with higher waves with side wind.

I would use the board with 7m to 5m kite let's say from 27 to max 40 knts ( 80 to 82kg) actual board 5'5 Airush compact carbon

anybody have experiences with the board as I cannot find any reviews.

Thx
Dude :cool2:

mikelet
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: Yes
Brand Affiliation: No

Re: Anybody experience with JL KWAD 5'4 ?

Postby mikelet » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:21 pm

Hi!!
I have a 5'11 for many years now that i recently replaced for a new one..
At 95kg it's my goto board for strapped in higher winds and big waves ..
JL Construction it's top notch , it can handle the abuse of big air jumps and after some years , no heel dents or soft spots in the deck
IMHO it's a board that feels smaller , it likes to be ridden with a back stance near to the tail probably because it has a high entry rockerline and a deep single concave.. Toó much front foot pressure on a bottom turn and you faceplant...
I hardly recommend to have a look at the 5'7 or 5'11 at your weight , believe me it will feel smaller size...
I don't really like the fin setup supplied , and in the beggining i struggle with fins in the search for the perfect feeling....
Ended as strange as it sounds in a Quad ( all my boards are quads) with bigger symmetrical rear fins and smaller asymm front fins , and the board it's mágic this way....
Hope it helps..

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Re: Anybody experience with JL KWAD 5'4 ?

Postby naishdude » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:34 pm

Hi Mikelet,

Thx for the reply it certeainly gave some more insight.
I also have a board that needs a more backstance ( AIrush cypher 5,8 flat noserocker)
The Airush compact I have also have this wider front shape and has the same when bottomturn or a bit too much frontfoot pressure, it bounces your frontfoot.

Anyways it seems the deal will not go as the guy is asking too much money for a 6 year old board ( although its new)

Cheers
Dude :cool2:

Return to “Kitesurfing”