Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Woo version comparison update?

Forum for kitesurfers
kitelife
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Favorite Beaches: Secret Spots with iKitesurf meters.
Style: Surf and Foil
Gear: slingshot, north/duotone

Re: Woo version comparison update?

Postby kitelife » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:59 am

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:06 pm

Thanks kitelife. Interesting link.

Think I'll skip the WOO3 for now.
"better sensors" sounds like marketing hype to me, I think the issue will be that the sensors are and were fine but the 3D algorithms built in by the manufacturers are maybe OK for a Wii, but not OK for kiteboarding usage. At the moment if somebody posts a reading on Woo, first question is which version of Woo?
And then from that article: "This specific, highest jump on both 3.0 WOO’s (at about 20 minutes kiting) had 16.1 and 15.3m, where the Woo’s 1.0 only had 8.6 and 5.7m."
So if Andy jumps a 16.1, Mandy jumps a 15.3, Sandy jumps a 8.6 and Randy jumps a 5.7, who even cares?

I suspect there are better algorithms used now but still... 0.8M difference in the same jump between two Woo3s??

In a running race, that's like Mandy running 1km in the same time Andy runs 1km and 52meters.
Lucky Andy.. He had the wilder Woo3. Meanwhile, Randy has also finished the 1k race but the officials tell him he hasn't even got to half way!

I had my Woo2 on the board yesterday and I still haven't bothered to upload the data.

trickcoach
Medium Poster
Style: Unhooked
Gear: Switchkites Legacy
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby trickcoach » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:34 am

fluidity wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:06 pm

In a running race, that's like Mandy running 1km in the same time Andy runs 1km and 52meters.
Lucky Andy.. He had the wilder Woo3. Meanwhile, Randy has also finished the 1k race but the officials tell him he hasn't even got to half way!
@fluidity your analogy makes no sense ... woo is not a measuring tool such as a stopwatch or a ruler , it makes a rough estimate and calculation of height from gyroscopic sensors !

have you ever tried to setup your satellite dish using the spirit level and compass available from your iphone apps which rely on the gyro sensors ?!!! if so you know what I mean if not well good luck then ...

you can't expect anything but a very approximate result from a device like the woo , pic or xsenser , it is normal to have some deviation within the same kind of unit and more so in cross versions using différent hardware ...with the evolution of technology there will be one day a very precise tool ...

and man its only a game , it is fun to play , both freestyle and big air even if it is not perfectly accurate ...
I didn't see any one get as mad with the Nintendo Wii game when pro tennis players would get beat by a 5 year old at the tennis game , if it is supposed to reflect reality how can it be possible !!!

lighten up ;) and just ride !

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:24 am

@trickcoach
First you're saying my analogy makes no sense and then you're agreeing that the woo is very inaccurate?
Make up your mind! :D

leightong
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Beadnell Bay North easty England
Favorite Beaches: Budle Bay, Beadnell Bay
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m
Nobile Koinobori 12m + 9m
Nobile N62 (m + 7m
Shinn Gintronic
Spleene Door 59
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby leightong » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:35 pm

Ran woo 2 & 3 side by side for quite a few sessions now. Woo 3 measures consistently higher sometimes only slightly but often around a metre higher. The highest jump is either missed by the Woo 2 completely or up to a metre lower.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:09 pm

Ran my 1.0 and 3.0 side by side for a few sessions. 1.0 Misses the highest jumps, and there's easily a 2m gap between the 1.0 and 3.0.

kiterocky
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

Postby kiterocky » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:41 pm

Big gap with the reality....as usual...

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:39 pm

trickcoach wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:34 am
and man its only a game , it is fun to play , both freestyle and big air even if it is not perfectly accurate
Game of who's the highest on the leaderboard of random values. I see people posting FB 10m woo jump posters in a conditions where 10m jumps are not possible. And get mad if I make a remark about it.

Their business model is not mrc or yrc. So they need to sell you a new device every now and then. How? It is more accurate as marketing statement and then secrectly report higher jumps than previous generation. Fanboys are sold.

Jukka
Medium Poster
Gear: Peter Lynn, Core, Shinn, Airush

Postby Jukka » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:32 pm

What would you think about Woo (3) consistency? I mean if we leave accuracy out of the question.

I'm after if it makes sense in tracking one's personal development from first small jumps forward.
I would not care if first jumps measure 2m and are 1m in reality, also would not care later if Woo says 10m and it's only 7m.

What would be a deal breaker is jumping 3m and getting results randomly between, say, 2-5m.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:20 am

Jukka wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:32 pm
What would be a deal breaker is jumping 3m and getting results randomly between, say, 2-5m.
Just make the camera rig, take wind surf mast (5m), put 3 action cameras to it with 1m or 0.5m separation and film to far horizon.. If kiter jumping is over camera-horizon line jumper is higher than the lens. If lens is at 3m you know you have jumped at least 3m. Write down jump log from video, you can try to use DVR-Scan to ease your task. Then compare video log to your woo-log and make the conclusion, if 3m real jumps are reported 2 to 5 meters or 2 to 10 meters.

Here is drone example video - where you see how video measuring works. So kiter jumps and is above drone because he's higher than horizon.

For example at 0:53 board went just horizon level, so board visited drone's height. On some later shot there is kiter beneath, his water surface level is "higher" relative to closer rider, but same rule applies, if he jumps he must be over the horizon to be above the camera. So this camera-horizon is distance/angle independent way of measuring and it can measure all kiters at the site at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9DGrPo2a5Y

Return to “Kitesurfing”