bri7
Medium Poster
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New York

Postby bri7 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:53 am

Just doing a bit of research if we move to New York at some point in the future as to the local kitesurf spots etc. Any info on Mountain Biking, snowboarding etc would also be awesome.

Currently living in Geneva, Switzerland, 1.5 hrs drive from multiple ski resorts (will swap for kite spots) & walking distance to kite spot. kiting here is very flaky, irregular.

So basically I snowboard more now than kiting but will happily swap that for more kiting.

ELI
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ELI
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabs,Sling and Custom

Re: New York

Postby ELI » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:57 pm

NY is quite big ,where are you thinking of ? NYC ? LI? Upstate lake ? Winds here are frontal , mountains Nothing like you have access to now.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:26 pm

I'm from France and used to snowboard a lot in the Alps but I have been in New York for 10 years and have never been out West snowboarding, usually I go one day per year to the local mountains, 2 hours drive. They are very small resort with a dozen of trail not very steep. Nothing really exciting but if you catch some fresh snow it's always fun.
You can go up north in Vermont (5h drive) for slightly bigger mountain but those are more equivalent to the Jura mountain or Voges strip. Not had but nothing like the Alps
I have never been out west, wife prefers warmer, so we usually do kitesurfing destination...

Kitesurfing is really good around NY//NJ. I mostly go on longisland NY. Some people kite 2 to 3 times per week. With foil you can do like 5. From early Jan to late Feb it's usually to cold but you can go snowkiting upstate NY (6h drive)

Here are a couple of spots in NY/NJ:
Some spots are 25 min drive some are 1h.

Great South Bay NY:
https://youtu.be/oBDNf41uOCA

South shore longislandNY:
https://youtu.be/sVf7i2xjiYI

Northshore longisland and some of NJ Sandy hook:
https://youtu.be/5UDQK6FkxlY

I have a few friends who mountain bike trails in the summer, if you join FB group : "Northeast #kitelife crew" you can ask them about it.
There is Appalachian trail going down the coast. It's only 40 min drive from NYC, bear mountain area is really nice. There should be a lot of fun trails...

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:38 pm

Check for spots here:

http://se.kiteforum.com/spots

AirConnolly
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Eastern Long Island
Gear: Cabrinha and Slingshot

Postby AirConnolly » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:54 pm

The wind is pretty reliable in the Fall through the Spring. You need a 5/4 wetsuit or dry suit to kite December through March. The rest of the year, can get by with a 3/2 and gloves. The summer has some epic days with air temps in the 80s and wind, but for the most part it is light. I don't foil, so probably missing out on some days. From my experience, the wind on Long Island is not very consistent when it is light, but can surf, kayak, fish, sup, bike, etc. instead.

Mountain biking, climbing, and hiking are quite popular in upstate NY (Adirondacks mountains) or Vermont and New Hampshire (Green/White mountains). Some trails on Long Island or around NYC for a quick fix, but not really mountain biking.

For snowboarding, the west is the best. The East Coast mountains are smaller and have much less vert than out west. East Coast owns the moniker "Ice Coast" because the majority of days are grey/overcast skies with hard pack groomers and ice. If you ride a lot of park, there are some decent options. It can be epic when snow storms hit, so if you have the flexibility to schedule trips around blizzards, you'll get some great conditions.

If you plan to live in NYC or the boroughs, you would need a car to regularly kite/surf/snowboard etc. Also add an hour to any trip on google maps for traffic.

AirConnolly
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Eastern Long Island
Gear: Cabrinha and Slingshot

Postby AirConnolly » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:56 pm

I forgot to add this in the first post. Kiting is allowed at most beaches, but beach parking can be a real pain in the ass with out the correct permits.

bri7
Medium Poster

Postby bri7 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:59 pm

We'd probably be living close to Brooklyn if we went.

Cheers for the post JL much appreciated. Yeah I guessed I would be pretty much giving up the mountains as a lifestyle and back to the coast / beach bum again ;-)

I live at the bottom of the Jura now, at least there is the potential for a ski trip within distance of NYC. I have boarded the West coast a few times and would just have to make a trip or two when I could

Good to know there is a kite scene I will check out the links.

Just an idea for now and I want to at least know it ticks a box or two before committing to a move. I only just got used to living here :D
Last edited by bri7 on Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:01 pm

AirConnolly wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:56 pm
I forgot to add this in the first post. Kiting is allowed at most beaches, but beach parking can be a real pain in the ass with out the correct permits.
Can be a pain but summer is mostly S wind and there are a few spots where parking is hassle free. On N it's a pain though because most beach are resident only or $20 to $40...

Just got a mail from my old address, it's a fine from sept 2015 for 4x4 parking in gilgo, I had 4x4 pass not sure if I didn't display it on window or what but now the fine compounded to $600 :angryfire:

bri7
Medium Poster

Postby bri7 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:11 pm

Don't get me started on Parking !!!! :-)

To be fair the Swiss and the French attitude to parking is pretty good, as free in most places I go including Verbier!!! Wouldn't be like that in the UK it'd be £30 a day.

halloi
Medium Poster
Gear: kites and boards

Postby halloi » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:21 pm

AirConnolly wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:54 pm
If you plan to live in NYC or the boroughs, you would need a car to regularly kite/surf/snowboard etc. Also add an hour to any trip on google maps for traffic.
wowowowow! slow your horses ol'buddy'ol'pal!
I couldnt disagree more :boxer2:

been kiting in brooklyn and Li for a while now, no car, no traffic and always parking. just the occasional "lane splitting" ticket :whistler:

alright, obama out.

:bye:
Constantin

Return to “Kitesurfing”