forum for kitesurfers

athen
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1
Brand Affiliation: None

glass fiber or carbon?

Postby athen » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:58 am

Hello Kiteforum!

I would like to ask your feedback/advice about nowadays kiteboards: what's the difference and pros/cons of buying a glass fiber or carbon board?

(Twin tip at the moment)

I would avoid wood boards because they are less durable and too heavy

thanks guys!

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Leeupan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: GK vSonic 6 & 11
Cloud C2 17
Progeni Mutare
Xelerator door
Hoff DD140

Re: glass fiber or carbon?

Postby rynhardt » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:48 am

It's possible to build a board with similar characteristics with either fibreglass or carbon. These days there's not much cost difference either, so pick a board with characteristics that suit your style, and don't worry too much about core or reinforcement material.

For example, with a foam core, you can get similar flex characteristics to glass by making the board thinner and using carbon. You use less core material, less carbon and less resin, which saves cost.
With foam cores, Airex is a linear PVC, which is tougher than cross-lined PVC (divinycell), but it's not as rigid, so you need to use a heavier density. Corecell is SAN based, which combines the best of linear and cross-linked PVC, but it's double the cost.
Foam cores need more reinforcement than wood cores, because wood cores are inherently more stiff. So you use more reinforcement and resin for foam core boards, which are generally lighter than wood cores.

Wood cores are cheaper than structural foam, but more difficult to work with. Unless you can CnC them, in which case they become cheap again (low labor cost). Wood cores need less reinforcement and less resin than foam cores, which once again makes them cheaper. But they are slightly heavier.

Most kiteboard decks are between 2kg and 3kg. Add fins, handle, wet footpads and straps, and the weight goes up to 4kg or 5kg. Add a grind base or more reinforcement for wakestyle boards, and the weight goes up a bit more.

A 4kg/5kg total weight for a kiteboard is perfectly acceptable. In fact, I don't know how many manufacturers even specify the total wet weight, because it's really not that material. Yes, you can get lighter boards, and yes you may notice a slight difference, but it's minimal and you would probably sacrifice robustness for the sake of a few grams.

Frank82
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, IJburg, Schellinkhout, Medemblik - Netherlands
Style: freestyle / wakestyle / freeride / wave
Gear: Best & Axis

Postby Frank82 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:02 pm

Heavier boards are more comfortable, light boards are only fun if you do loads of boardoffs.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:45 pm

From owning a few you can't judge a board by material, also durability is better on wood and glass from my personal experience.
Oftenbuse of carbon is to make board super light. It at the same time it makes board quite fragile if they use less materials over all.

I would try boards a pick one regardless of material used.

Onthewater860
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Sandy point, napatree, harbor of refuge RI
Style: Free ride
Gear: Slingshot rally 9,12 turbo 17
Placebo 140x43

Postby Onthewater860 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:49 pm

As a boat builder and past full time professional ski patroler. I’ve got a lot of experience with these materials.
In the world of extreme beating(skiing) foam core skis suck! The foam dies becomes soft and delams fast.
With good building tech wood cores are lighter, have better flex and put up with a beating like none other!

In Boat building, with lots of glass the foam acts like the middle of an I beam. Also doesn’t suck water like wood.
In this case we don’t want flex or aren’t as worried about flex properties. And weight isn’t as important in most cases. Unless your looking at pushing boundaries of a sport.

CF. Is great for strength and lightness but cost is a huge factor.
As an average person you’ll not notice the benefits of cf unless you think it scores cool/style points.

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Any gear is good gear as long as it has nothing to do with EPIC!

Postby alexeyga » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:13 pm

There's no such thing as a pure "glass", "carbon" or a "wood" board. In either case there's alway a wood core (does anyone still make foam-core TT-s?) covered with either glass, carbon or a combination of both and some kind of finishing layers.

I'd avoid up-scaled carbon versions of regular boards where they take a "standard" model, replace 2 layers of glass with 1 layer of carbon, call it "years and years of rigorous testing" and charge you 300$ more for it. If you gonna spend the money - go for dedicated carbon bords which are in fact lighter and have been developed with carbon in mind (Carved or Shinn BronQ for example).

Having owned a carbon Trax, I was kinda blown away by how much lighter was the "regular" Shinn Monk - which I've tested against Shinn's own carbon Bronq and was really having hard time pointing out any differences on the water besides BronQ being a notch lighter.
Last edited by alexeyga on Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chibern
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: San Diego
Gear: 2017 Cabrinha Contra 15
OR Mako King

Postby chibern » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:38 pm

alexeyga wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:13 pm
There's no such thing as a pure "glass", "carbon" or a "wood" board. In either case there's alway a wood core (does anyone still make foam-core TT-s?) covered with either glass, carbon or a combination of both and some kind of finishing layers.
These guys do... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un7OMRTTTwI

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Cloud C2 17
Progeni Mutare
Xelerator door
Hoff DD140

Postby rynhardt » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:26 pm

I believe the bigger factories like Playmaker have simplified their supply chain to use only wood.
Custom builders can afford to use foam.

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Cloud C2 17
Progeni Mutare
Xelerator door
Hoff DD140

Postby rynhardt » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Pick a mould, supply your graphics, and the factory will build you a minimum quantity boards with wood cores, glass reinforcement and PBT top and bottom sheets.
Attachments
images (22).jpg
images (22).jpg (10.2 KiB) Viewed 372 times

Cristiano_Leandro
Medium Poster
Gear: Best TS

Postby Cristiano_Leandro » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:59 pm

rynhardt wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:42 pm
Pick a mould, supply your graphics, and the factory will build you a minimum quantity boards with wood cores, glass reinforcement and PBT top and bottom sheets.
Do you have a link for the company rynhardt?

Return to “Kitesurfing”