Forum for kitesurfers
RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:16 pm

theflyingtinman wrote:
Sylt Rider wrote:I think that very many kiters in this forum know about the fact that pinquick release are not easy to upon under load.

...it takes a almost 30 kg to release... way too much
I don't like these releases, in fact when I got a Maui Magic chicken loop with my new kites I tried it with just my own weight (210 lb) and was unsatified with the force required to release it. (didn't measure it - just decided I didn't want to have to find that amount of strength in an emergency), so I took it off and replaced it with a Witchard. For those who do use them though I wonder if keeping the rope and pin well waxed or greased would help. Also if I ever did go back to a pin release I would want at least two reduction loops before the pin (That's how our tow-release for paraglider tow-launches works)

Steve T.

I understand that the latest S-2 Bar uses a three loop, parachute/towline release system. I think it is a relatively new application and I don't know how much accumulated time folks have using it. Are there other three loop releases in use on kiteboarding quick releases out there?

I like your fighter pilot analogy, it can be very similar to that when things go into fast forward in the heat of an emergency. Mental and physical rehearsal of emergency scenarios and actions could make an important difference if things go south one of these days.

Sylt Rider
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Sylt Rider » Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:28 pm

Did anyone tabulate the quick release models vs. release tension required to open it up? It would be good to post those specifics if possible.
I asked mmMeikel about this. The good Wichards will release by 3 to 4 kg. Is that your question? I am not sure if I understood it. If you want more details maybe you can ask mmMeikel at the
http://www.kitesurfing-kiel.de/ forum

By the way. This is how the whole table looks like:

Under_Score
Rare Poster

Postby Under_Score » Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:33 pm

Your fighter pilot analogy is dead on. I think everyone who flies a kite should be mentally prepared for an emergency. Do not be a cocky SOB and then end up getting yourself or others hurt.

Please test out all your safety equipment. PLease understand that in an emergency there are certain things you will not think of so look for ease of use and reliability. Also keep in mind nothing is 100%. I have had an incident where the leash was too short on the kite and cause the kite to dift right into the power and start an out of control spin (in the power zone) that was not easy to stop while is was dragging me. Prepare yourself for these things. Its not always going to work.

Be Safe
Marcus
http://www.kitesextreme.com

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:35 pm

Sylt Rider wrote:
Did anyone tabulate the quick release models vs. release tension required to open it up? It would be good to post those specifics if possible.
I asked mmMeikel about this. The good Wichards will release by 3 to 4 kg. Is that your question? I am not sure if I understood it. If you want more details maybe you can ask mmMeikel at the
http://www.kitesurfing-kiel.de/ forum
Thanks, I will get in touch with mmMeikel. I wondered what release tensions were required for all of the various releases tested. Say for Takoons, Naish's, Wipika's, North's, etc. Lots of different systems out there and this is the first quantitative loaded release test of many different models that I have heard about.

Your launch area looks GREAT by the way. Lots of wide open, sandy beaches. Hope it was a fun event.

Sylt Rider
Medium Poster

Postby Sylt Rider » Sat Jun 21, 2003 12:08 am

Oh, now I got the question. Yes, he did test various kinds of releases. As a matter of fact, at this morning he was testing north old and new models.

As for the location, exactly plenty space (about 100 meters wide) so that it would be possible to start with wind form many kind of directions.
Besides: controled area for launching and landing kites. No bystandars alllowed.

They put very much emphasis on safety.

Look at that:

Helm, leash, impact vest (under the shirt)= obligatory for all!

Beyound his shoulder, the car for first aid (red cross) ready to help,
and here:

Three jetskies (it looks kike two, but there are three) for safety with very experienced riders! The location has on times strong current.

The did a really good work in my opinion.

Return to “Kitesurfing”