Been thanked: 0

Postby AdventureAntigua.com » Thu Aug 22, 2002 4:04 am

AdventureAntigua.com
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby AdventureAntigua.com » Thu Aug 22, 2002 4:07 am

How does it compare in price to Cabarete? Accomidations...food, etc.
Its more expensive, but people won't steal your dirty underwear and shorts like in DR.

Is it as easy to fly to as Puerto Plata? Way more international flights per day.

Is there a kite school? Yes http://www.kiteantigua.com or nikolai@candw.ag for more info.

Is kiting as close to accomidations as in Cabarete? Not as close but pretty close.

Is the bay to kite in as lumpy as Cabarete? There is chop but its not cross chop like in DR and is never crowded like DR either.

Anything else?
eli

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Aug 22, 2002 8:24 am

Eli, regarding your knee, do you use bindings?

Toby

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:36 am

On 2002-08-22 09:24, Toby wrote:
Eli, regarding your knee, do you use bindings?

Toby
And did you injure it with bindings or straps?

I just tried for the 3rd time to make the switch to straps. I'm finally comfortable with them, but it seems like all our local riders have knee tweaks from straps.

I guess we can hurt ourselves either way, but I sure felt safer in bindings.

AdventureAntigua.com
Medium Poster

Postby AdventureAntigua.com » Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:31 pm

crushed my tibia plateau and broke off the left side of my left tibia in the joint using bindings, but probably would have done the same thing in straps. i re-hurt it using straps. eli

chassan
Frequent Poster

Postby chassan » Thu Aug 22, 2002 9:23 pm

I was enjoying everything you were saying about Antigua and your injuries, etc. untill you said people in the DR steal. That's not the way to go my friend. Definitly not the way to promote your spot knowing that there are lots of dominicans in this forum like my self, and knowing that a lot of people love coming here or would love to come here.
And even if there are thiefs, do you think they're going to steal your dirty underwear? (That was a good one BTW)

AdventureAntigua.com
Medium Poster

Postby AdventureAntigua.com » Fri Aug 23, 2002 3:06 am

hey, i am not even kidding about anything i said. i raced there 4 times and got robbed each year i was there. My room was broken into 2 times and clothes were stolen from right next to the bic center 2 times and from the beach in front of the green room once. i am not kidding at all. I totally understand why it happens in DR and i am not bitter about it at all. I feel sorry for the people who live in extreme poverty there and didn't mind losing a pair of baggies and boxers. My money shades and cds were a different story unfortunately. I love the place and would go back again and again. I didn't enjoy being robbed any of the times though and I am not trying to tell people not to go there at all. Our countries are vastly different and one of the main differences is in the degree of poverty. I guess this is why we are more expensive and DR is cheaper. Sorry to have made you upset. This is an honest forum and i guess i was too honest. Sorry, ELi.

chassan
Frequent Poster

Postby chassan » Fri Aug 23, 2002 2:35 pm

I didn't get mad at all, is just that I go to Cabarete twice, maybe 3 times a month and stay at hotels and I never had any incidents at all. Anyway sorry that it happen to you.
Anyway, I like the way you talk about Antigua and makes me want to go there sometime, so maybe I'll see you there.

Regards

Luis

AdventureAntigua.com
Medium Poster

Postby AdventureAntigua.com » Fri Aug 23, 2002 3:02 pm

cool please come during the winter when it goes off. eli

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 23, 2002 6:56 pm

RE: getting ripped off in Cabarete, there are certain hotels/places that are more subject to theft. I know of one hotel in particular near Bic Center where this seems to be an ongoing problem. However, I have booked hundreds of people into hotels between Kite Beach and CAbarete and none have been ripped off except maybe being charged 10 pesos instead of 5 for a motoconcho ride:-) RE: crowding, I am so sick of people saying this! Cabarete is crowded sometimes and at other times not, just like any other kitesurfing spot in the world that is known for consistent conditions which has a decent infrastructure and it relatively easy to access. I am happy to see that when it does get crowded at Kite Beach, riders are starting to go downwind 50-100meters where NOBODY rides, upwind to Bozo, outside reef to practice tricks, etc.

Marina
Kitexcite

Return to “Kitesurfing”