Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

why jumping with kites SUX compared to skiing/snowboarding!

Forum for kitesurfers
hawaiikiter
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

why jumping with kites SUX compared to skiing/snowboarding!

Postby hawaiikiter » Sat Jul 12, 2003 7:23 pm

i love and i really mean LOVE jumping when i´m skiing.

going down the hill and then up the jump and your stomach does that awesome thing so you feel it rise to your neck and then you go up in the air and then down and you feel it again. one of the best feelings in the world.

you of course also get the adrenaline rush from jumping high and the satisfaction of nailing a trick.

since i loved jumping with my skis, kiting seemed like a cool activity for the summer, getting huge air. i was a little doubting though cuz you floated down and didn´t drop so i wondered if you´d get the same feeling.

and unfortuneately i was right in my doubts.

now, when you jump with your kite you get pulled up(that´s the first negative thing but not the worst. getting pulled up isn´t the same as getting there "freely"). it´s cool, you think wooooah it´s high, but you don´t feel anything in your stomach and then you go down but you don´t drop down, you glide down and therefore you don´t get the feeling in your stomach of it rising to your neck.

to put it shortly, jumping with skis and snowboards is an adrenaline rush but most of all it´s a awesome feeling in your stomach.

jumping with the kite is just the adrenaline rush...

therefore i do not enjoy it as much.

or am i wrong? when i jump higher and faster or do transitions will i experience that feeling with kites too?

and, i hope you know what i´m talking about. :) otherways, sell your kitegear and start skiing or snowboarding...

anyone do both thins, what do you prefer? why?

dt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby dt » Sat Jul 12, 2003 8:13 pm

I ski about 100 days per year but like jumping with kites much more than with skis. I even liked jumping windsurfers more than skis because the landing on snow is so hard compared to landing on water. Jumps on powder days are mellower but good power days are harder to find than good wind days in the summer. Also, with skiing it is harder to know if the landing is clear because you usually can't see over the ramp until your past the point of no return.

When I kite, I can jump about thirty times per hour. On snow, if i wanted I could find about 3 decent jumps per run (in california). So, for me the quantity and quality of jumps on water is better than on on snow. Come to think of it, I even liked jumping the wake water skiing more than jumping on snow. In fact I liked jumping motorcylces more than snow. I like jumping chics most of all. Least of all, I like jumping jacks and just up from that is jumping on my skateboard.

should we have a pole where everyone rates what they like to jump the most and the least? If you guessed I am bored, you guessed right. I am waiting impatiently for wind.

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: why jumping with kites SUX compared to skiing/snowboardi

Postby robertovillate » Sat Jul 12, 2003 8:27 pm

hawaiikiter wrote:i love and i really mean LOVE jumping when i´m skiing.

blah blah blah blah.....

and, i hope you know what i´m talking about. :) otherways, sell your kitegear and start skiing or snowboarding...

HEY DUDE, WHAT KIND OF GOOFBALL ARE YOU????????

I DO BOTH, LOVE BOTH, BUT KITESURFING IS WAY BETTER.

WHAT KIND OF DOPE ARE YOU SMOKING OVER THERE.

Roberto

theflyingtinman
Very Frequent Poster

Re: why jumping with kites SUX compared to skiing/snowboardi

Postby theflyingtinman » Sat Jul 12, 2003 9:04 pm

hawaiikiter wrote: ..but you don´t drop down, you glide down and therefore you don´t
get the feeling in your stomach of it rising to your neck.
therefore i do not enjoy it as much.
So deploy your quick release next time you pull a 30 ft jump, and enjoy...!

Steve T.

kookfest
Medium Poster

Postby kookfest » Sat Jul 12, 2003 10:59 pm

If you want that feeling in your guts that you get from rapid height changes, try kitelooping. In terms of shear adrenaline buzz, gut-wrenching acceleration, and the sensation of rapid height changes, you can't beat it. IMO, a much better feeling than the jumping sensation from skiing or snowboarding.

bobbybill
Medium Poster

Postby bobbybill » Sun Jul 13, 2003 7:14 am

and, i hope you know what i´m talking about. otherways, sell your kitegear and start skiing or snowboarding...

You can make either a near-death or near-wheelchair experience: jump on telemarks, or go really f***'g big on a Rhino2, you choice :thumb:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:59 am

kookfest wrote:If you want that feeling in your guts that you get from rapid height changes, try kitelooping. In terms of shear adrenaline buzz, gut-wrenching acceleration, and the sensation of rapid height changes, you can't beat it. IMO, a much better feeling than the jumping sensation from skiing or snowboarding.
Exactly - if you do kiteloops you'll get the ultimate "feel" in you stomach, for sure !

Or go windsurfing instead - here you jump mainly on pure speed when going up a wave - and you do not float down the same way - you FALL quite fast, and you need to have high skills to master the landing from great height.

Then you'll get the kick you want, for sure...

anthonyd
Frequent Poster
Gear: North Kites

Postby anthonyd » Sun Jul 13, 2003 2:09 pm

Then again, if kitesurfing is not giving you the near death adrenalin rush you seek stop doing it.

We really dont need the adrenalin junky types thretening our sport anyway!

hawaiikiter
Frequent Poster

Postby hawaiikiter » Sun Jul 13, 2003 7:03 pm

hi. i didn´t mean to upset anyone but merely to make your lives more full of joy.

some got my point, others didn´t.

i´m not after adrenaline mainly, but that feeling in your stomach.

DO YOU FEEL THAT FEELING IN YOUR STOMACH WHEN YOU JUMP WITH YOUR KITE?
that´s what i want to know. cuz so far i only jump up and then glide down softly. i don´t have the skills yet to do the crazy fast jumps some people do.

so i´m wondering if i´ll get that feeling from kiting too, later on?

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:50 am

Kitesurfing can be as clinicial or as hardocre as you want it to be... depends on the kite, how powered you are. I find that when I'm lighter powered I can still get good height if I get up a good head os steam and then hit a bit of large chop, but the jump won't be as floaty as a jump done when I pop when the kites nearly lifting me off the water in the first place. Also try kiting in real gusty stuff, if you time it right you liftoff in the gust to get the height and once at the top of you flight you get the lull and you drop quickly.....

Also when you fling the kite back to get liftoff, don't redirect it, then you'll do a pengilum jump as described in how to rip harder....

One of my mates last year launched off a wave (a proper wave, not a bit of chop) and did a pengilum jump so he was 15m up in the air and higher than his kite, it was about 30 knots as well so it was pretty crazy. He landed in a bout 1 foot of water and nearly broke his back, it was no soft floaty landing!!

So it can be done :smash: :smash: :smash: :advise: :advise:

Return to “Kitesurfing”