Forum for kitesurfers
Bintan Kiter
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Any news on North Rhino 4

Postby Bintan Kiter » Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:09 pm

Does anyone have any more info on the R4's?

Thanks for any assistance.

Peter

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:26 pm

supposely they will be better than R2, of course.
The hangtime and lift about the same, but more windrange and a bit faster.

They will be available in September, slightly more expensive.

Greets
Toby

geovani
Rare Poster

R4 quiver

Postby geovani » Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:13 pm

Any one knows if the smallest R4 will be 8 mt or they are going to change it? Any news about lower AR on the smaller R4 kites or nearly same AR on every kite like R2 edition?

Sake
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Sake » Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:28 pm

I think it's not always going to be better. Where you win you almost always loose somewhere else.....think about that before the hype starts :!: (first rumours is that the low end is less good.....)

geovani
Rare Poster

Postby geovani » Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:37 pm

Sake wrote:I think it's not always going to be better. Where you win you almost always loose somewhere else.....think about that before the hype starts :!: (first rumours is that the low end is less good.....)
.....smallest R4? Any news about lower AR on the smaller R4 kites or nearly same AR on every kite like R2 edition?

bobbi o
Frequent Poster

Postby bobbi o » Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:15 am

theres gotta be a question mark over whether its possible for north to hugely improve the rhino 2,apart from the windrange issue i cant see the leap they made from r1 to r2,more likely it'll be similair to x2/x3 with just small refinements which dont make a huge difference to the overall performance.allround kite development has probably reached a plateau already and it's really all just a marketing issue which we're all of course very susceptible to.

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:17 am

bobbi o wrote:theres gotta be a question mark over whether its possible for north to hugely improve the rhino 2,apart from the windrange issue i cant see the leap they made from r1 to r2,more likely it'll be similair to x2/x3 with just small refinements which dont make a huge difference to the overall performance.allround kite development has probably reached a plateau already and it's really all just a marketing issue which we're all of course very susceptible to.
I expect the leap in performance to be bigger than the x2/x3 improvement. I have flown a prototype 16m Rhino 04. It was a short ride, but it did show strong power and lift. It did go high
geovani wrote:Any one knows if the smallest R4 will be 8 mt or they are going to change it? Any news about lower AR on the smaller R4 kites or nearly same AR on every kite like R2 edition?
Higher aspect is actually easier to ride and do tricks. You won't see low aspect Rhinos. Even the Toro2 is higher aspect because it's easier to use higher aspect kites. The days of low aspect are over.

Why would anybody want low aspect?

Ken has created small Toro2s that are higher aspect that previous models and they are way easier to use in high winds than low aspect kites of years past. Try one and you will see. He has done some clever stuff to make this possible. You can't tell by looking at them. You'd have to be told what the tricks are. I'm not going to do that because some companies are still in the dark ages with low aspect small sizes.

Jonathan
Frequent Poster

Postby Jonathan » Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:21 am

Low aspect kites still have a place. It all depends on your riding style. There's no one way to the future ... it all depends on what you like and what you feel comfortable with.

I ride with both R2's and LF Flight kites and still enjoy both depending on my mood. I can do allot of stuff on the Flight kite that I couldnt do with the R2.

And in many ways wakestyle riding is far more impresive than the other stuff.

geovani
Rare Poster

to DWIGHT

Postby geovani » Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:54 am

..... You won't see low aspect Rhinos. Even the Toro2 is higher aspect because it's easier to use higher aspect kites. The days of low aspect are over.

Why would anybody want low aspect?

Ken has created small Toro2s that are higher aspect that previous models and they are way easier to use in high winds than low aspect kites of years past. Try one and you will see. He has done some clever stuff to make this possible. You can't tell by looking at them. You'd have to be told what the tricks are. I'm not going to do that because some companies are still in the dark ages with low aspect small sizes.
Of course is matter of feeling I feel too a great difference between low and high AR, I prefer too high AR, and between R2 and T2 I absolutely love R2 and do not like T2, I have 18-14-10 R2 and I was looking for a smaller kite but the 8 R2 has too similar wind range to 10 R2, T2 8 for me has NO power compared to the R2 and by the way T1 small sizes for me was much better. My question concerning low AR in small kites comes after having tested once a Airush Lift 2003 7.0 they have chosen to do a powerfull kite and reducing the meters they reduced also consistently the AR to improve windrange (the lift 2003 airush 7.0 windrange 22-38 kn) and to make the smaller kites fly slower. What do you think about smaller kites a bit slower (forgiving) than the one produced now?

vide
Very Frequent Poster

Postby vide » Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:00 am

I just hope they dont go as high AR as the X2/X3. The Rhino II isn't perfect, but it feels much more solid/stable in the air presumably due to it's lower AR. I don't think they should go lower, infact slighty higher would be Ok. But X3 is too high AR.

In between X3 and Rhino 2 would be good. (in all characteristics).

Return to “Kitesurfing”