Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Recon in high winds?

Postby Toby » Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:41 am

did anyone see what happens when the Recon safety is used in strong winds? The video shows only light winds and I'm afraid in stronger winds the kite still has some power?!

Thx
Toby

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Hernan » Wed Jul 23, 2003 12:41 pm

I haven't seen the system yet. A friend of mine came from Cabarete after the world cup and told me that the system looks awesome but It doesn't work well in high winds (30+). (too much pull and uncontrolable kite)

Anyway, any leashed kite still pull a lot on the leash in winds this high. Above 20+ is not easy to get a leashed kite to the water, they usually stays flagging at 20 feet, touch the water and fly again. (pulling on the one line leash and getting to the kite is the only option). A two line conection, as the Recon, to the kite could be more problemathic, I don't know.

I was very entusiastic about this system, but now I'm getting a bit skepticall about how usefull it will be for the average rider.
It is a great thing for those who crash the kite a lot and the spinning leash solution is clean (as the storm 2 leash). Many of us rarely crash the kite and use the leash mainly for self landing. The "close" nature of the system plays against it.
The naish UDS is a bit overdesigned but its "open arquitecture" and freebar option could make it a winner in this round.
Last edited by Hernan on Wed Jul 23, 2003 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wolfgang
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Germany, flying GK Sonic 11+8, riding F-One Sk8 35 / Trax 39, Spleene Door 42

Postby Wolfgang » Wed Jul 23, 2003 12:56 pm

That's exactly my concern.

I recently was out with my 16.5 in 5-6 bft when the wind suddenly picked up to 7-8 bft, and after a period of hopeless attempts to fight tea bagging I had to use my Wichard QR which put me back in control immediately. However, it was pretty impressive what kind of pull you still have on the leash in these conditions, with the kite flagging on the water and above it!!!

If with RECON the pull is much stronger in high wind conditions you would not gain adequate control after activating the QR, which would be very very questionable, maybe even dangerous if you go out kiting in belief that you have a super safe system for all kind of wind conditions...

paul m
Frequent Poster
Style: kook
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: cabrinha

high winds

Postby paul m » Wed Jul 23, 2003 1:30 pm

Hey guys, i am have and am useing the kite in high winds. 20-30-35 is what i have tested in besides the light stuff. I have blow the system with the bar fully depowered, all the way against the release ball , no problems.

As for when the kite hits the water.....d.e.a.d. trust me i was wound at 35 on the kite, it was dead, and when i wanted it over, it was easy to stop. i dont know if you guys can see the rings at the top of the leader lines, but they have the orange balls for the relaunch. You can also hold on to the orange ball and the bar will slide up the lines and kill the kite tradtional style.

Now remember the RECON when activated is when you are in the shiter or landing. I have learned to reset mine in the water. There is also a leash option for handel pass or beginner that releases the recon "with out" blowing the center line so you can relaunch after you drop the bar.

I hope i answered this for you, if not let me know.

I am very happy to see this and other systems for some safety and control. Trust me i have traveled to over 130 kite spots in the world in the last few years, and some of the shit i have seen was insane. Also the loss of some friends makes me test stuff hard and try to improve.

Where do you guys live, i will tell you where to go try it

aloha Paul Menta

Adolfo
Medium Poster

Postby Adolfo » Wed Jul 23, 2003 1:34 pm

As far as I now, the system will also have a grab leash. So, if when the Recon leash is used, the pull is still to strong; you can grab the grab leash, disconnect the chicken loop, and it will be just as any other kite. What do you think?

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Wed Jul 23, 2003 2:52 pm

Hi Toby

Someone else asked the question on another post (i think it related to the Miami expo) and the answer was the system works well in heavy wind. The 12m used in the video was used by the only kiter who could hold the kite down because the wind was so strong and there is almost no pull on the bar when it kills the kite.

The other question I saw answered was how bad the pull was when relaunching in the centre of the powerzone. They mentioned two launches, one being a hot launch where you put your feet in the straps and as you launch you just get up on your board and ride, or working the kite towards the edge of the window before flipping it over.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:03 pm

thx for the infos, guys.

end of August we willhave a PKRA tour stop.
I will ask Andre or whoever to show me the system.

Greets
Toby

Foxi
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Walchensee - the bavarian caribbean ;-)
Favorite Beaches: Lake Walchensee / Bavaria
Lake Garda / Italy
Paracuru / Brazil
Style: RED
Gear: Fanatic Sky Wing 5.6
Duotone Unit 2 6.0 / 4.5
Sabfoil Kraken M93/F703/S486/S425/W945/W999/W1250
Groove Skate
Moses Onda
Ozone Alpha V1
F-One Trax
North Mono & Neos

Postby Foxi » Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:04 pm

Hi Paul,

I´ve two questions I´d appreciate if you could help me:

1) Have you tried the new C02 and if yes what do you think about when to chose instead of Nitro - in times of recon-supported relaunch ?

2) If safety is pulled and the kite down trailing edge first - how is it possible to relaunch ? The forces get tremendously high when pulling/reshortening the depowerline and kite should get to a point when trying to relaunch without having finished this procedure - or did I miss sth within the whole procedure !?

mahalo and aloha

Jürgen

Foxi
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Walchensee - the bavarian caribbean ;-)
Favorite Beaches: Lake Walchensee / Bavaria
Lake Garda / Italy
Paracuru / Brazil
Style: RED
Gear: Fanatic Sky Wing 5.6
Duotone Unit 2 6.0 / 4.5
Sabfoil Kraken M93/F703/S486/S425/W945/W999/W1250
Groove Skate
Moses Onda
Ozone Alpha V1
F-One Trax
North Mono & Neos

@Toby

Postby Foxi » Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:11 pm

Hi Toby,

what concerns me more is that Cabrinha still has no light wind killer on board and I haven´t heard of any improvements in this matter. BT 20 was WAYS behind a R20 in 2003 and now that those Phoenix and Jumbo Titans have hit the market I wonder if Recon really can make up for the gap in low end performance. Maybe new C02 does it ?

aloha

Jürgen

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 95 kg
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:16 pm

maybe Paul can answer this.
I bet that Cabrinha improved their big kites, any company will.
But if they will be better than the Rhino04, Phoenix or FS Titan,we will see.

Greets
Toby

Return to “Kitesurfing”