Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

First run on new Titan 15,5, please advise

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

First run on new Titan 15,5, please advise

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 01, 2003 7:53 am

Yesterday I went out on my new Titan 15,5. with the Okilled 192 board. Wind was 10mph and I weigh 80kg.

I'm a beginner, the previous 2 times kiting I managed for the first time to really go and stay upwing on my Warrior 12.5.

Everything nice as expected, launch without preinflation........
I got planing quickly but just couldn't get the wing to the front corner of the window in order to edge hard and go upwind. Although the wind was not strong the kite quickly fell back into the center of the powerzone and dragged me downwind hard. Of course I kept the sheeted out as much as possible and I had not shorted the adjuster at all!
The force of this kite is impressive and I look forward to sort out this little problem!

It would be very kind if someone could advise how to solve the problem and let me know if others had a similar problem. Please do not use to specific language since I quite often get confused with all that special words!? Actually I kind of also have the same problem with my warrior, that the kite tends to drop back into the center of the powerzone and then I can't hold the edge anymore!

And a last question: What does "quiver" mean in kite language?

Thanks

urbanr
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby urbanr » Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:12 am

SB,

It sounds to me as though you're not applying enough pressure on your rear leg.

It's true that sheeting out helps the kite shoot forward to the edge of the window but think of how two-line kiters bring the kite forward - it's all board skills. By digging in with your back leg you're effectively edging harder. This is kind of like applying the brakes on the downwind forces of the kite which in turn forces the kite sideways to the edge of the window.

Your problem may be your board. The Okilled 192 is not only really big, but also has really fat rounded edges (like a windsurfer). Altough I've never tried this board, I had similar problems when I was beginning on my Takoon curver.

Quiver = your collection of kites

:thumb:

kitesuffer
Frequent Poster

Postby kitesuffer » Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:42 am

Not having flown a big titan but having had a couple of big kites (16.5 warrior and 15.5 psycho) I can only speculate but one thing you can try with such a big board is putting the kite higher in the window (closer to zenith) and lean back into your harness. This takes a bit of pressure off your legs and you get a bit more board control. This was really the only way to get the big warrior upwind for me. It seemed at the edge of the window the kite pulled downwind too much. By putting the kite higher you tend to fly it into the wind and steer it with your board position (on a previous post one person described this as flying it like a glider). Also some advice from Armin (flysurfer) - keep your board speed low - this has something to do with generating too much apparent wind which pushes the kite back into the power zone.

Let us know if you get the problem sorted out and how - I'd be disappointed to hear that the kite could not go upwind in that wind on such a big board

Ted B.
Medium Poster

Postby Ted B. » Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:15 pm

even in lite winds I pull the depower strap about half way it makes the kite turn way faster and allows the kite to move quicker through the window!!!!!Try playing with the strap.Actually the Okilled boards edge pretty well,but try moving the plates closer to the heel side edge of the board..Ted B.

funtiger
Medium Poster

Thanks for your suggestions

Postby funtiger » Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:52 am

When I posted the question, I had forgotten to log in! Sorry

Thanks for the advise. I tried your 2 first suggestions yesterday and it went much better. 7-10 mph wind and I went in and out a few times coming back nearly where I started, only in some very low lulls the kite kind of stalled out of the sky and I fell off the board loosing the prescious ground which I made.....

:?:
The depower adjustment strip?: How to use it properly? In low wind I keep it all out, right? When the wind gets towards overpower I shorten it?

Next I will try to relocate the straps for more edge. Tx

KiteSmurfer
Frequent Poster

Postby KiteSmurfer » Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:20 pm

i've taken Ted b's advice and fly with the depower strap in a bit even in light winds. To start with i was flying the kite high in the window as i was getting pulled downwind a little. Gradually i'm flying the kite much lower and edging much harder and am now holding my ground.

I found building up a bit of speed then gradually increasing back foot pressure forces the kite forward - you've got to hold that edge though.

In light winds this is obviously harder and you have to work the kite in a shallow wave motion (don't try and sign it to much - titan's don't like this)
and edge harder when you feel the pull. You'll get a feeling for it suddenly and it all works (this has just happened to me)

Just my 2 cents

Mike B
Rare Poster

Postby Mike B » Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:22 am

You will definately want to pull the yellow depower strap in about half way. Leaveing the depower strap alone @ full length make's the kite sit alittle farther back from the edge of the window and it fly's slower cause it's scooping more air. I leave the strap all the way out when I don't want the kite going so far out of the wind window. Pulling in the strap half way makes it fly much faster and turn alot better. You will be able to get alot more power from sineing the kite. Only thing in lite wind is you don't want to let the kite fly all the way out of the window and leave it there cause of course you will lose power.

I've got no problems sineing the 15.5m Titan. In light winds it's just a little technique. It's all in the timeing with any kite of when to bring the kite back up then down then up and down , etc without losing power.

Really light winds with the 15.5Titan I dive the kite down on the opposite side i'm going and fly it across the power zone. As I get up and going and the kite is preparing to reach the edge I give it 1 little tug in the upward direction, let off the bar for a second then give it 1 more tug in the upward direction and let off the bar. Same thing as It goes up the edge of the window, 1 tug and let off as it's up about 75% up the edge and let off the bar, then give it another little pull and let off the bar and you will maintain a good power without killing the speed of the kite.

When you pull the bar in to turn it and hold it you can feel the flaps breaking the speed of the kite in Really Light Winds. When you tug it once and release the bar it will start the kite moveing in that direction and It won't break the speed of the kite. It only takes a second pull on the bar and release it and the kite will be moving in the new direction without killing the speed/power of the kite.

Light winds are great for learning and as you get better you'll be able to handle more wind and use a smaller board. I think the 15.5m Titan flys awesome in all condition's with the trim strap pulled in half way. In the really gusty winds Its great to hold a little pressure on the bar to keep it back from the edge then let the bar out when a big gust hits. I'm 180lbs and ride a sx 141 board. I've been out when the wind was blowing 11mph up to 22mph. Back and forth and there were a few times that nobody was going anywhere in the water and I manage to build up awesome apparent wind and cruise right by. Most of the time I dropped in along with them but a few times my technique was right on. I was alot more upwind and plenty of space to go downwind and cross downwind to build up some speed then go cross wind cruiseing....... It really takes alot of downwind room to get going in lightwind. I wasn't on the sx141 when it was up and down 11mph to 22mph. It was a plywood board I whipped up in a half hour before going out. lol- 147cm long and about 14" wide and kinda flat.

It's all in spending time on your gear! Kite parked at edge will depower. Edgeing the board hard upwind will force the kite to the edge of the wind window and depower you.

Point your board downwind a little as you sine the kite down towards the water to build more speed, then edge more upwind as you turn the kite and send it back up the edge of the wind window.

Light wind is a workout and would rather be lit up with a smaller board. That's where its at and you'll eventually be there too. Might want to look around and see if you can get some 1 hour lessons from some instructors. You could get seriously hurt when your really powered up. You've got the right idea starting in the light winds. Once you've got the basic's down spending an hour with an instructor can help you leaps and bounds.

Return to “Kitesurfing”