Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

shaped struts - gimmik or aerodynamic advantage ?

Forum for kitesurfers
Foxi
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Walchensee - the bavarian caribbean ;-)
Favorite Beaches: Lake Walchensee / Bavaria
Lake Garda / Italy
Paracuru / Brazil
Style: RED
Gear: Fanatic Sky Wing 5.6
Duotone Unit 2 6.0 / 4.5
Sabfoil Kraken M93/F703/S486/S425/W945/W999/W1250
Groove Skate
Moses Onda
Ozone Alpha V1
F-One Trax
North Mono & Neos
Brand Affiliation: None

shaped struts - gimmik or aerodynamic advantage ?

Postby Foxi » Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:40 pm

hi there,

past weekend I saw a Phoenix 21 live for the first time. The double chambered elyptical front tube really looks high tech and working surface is reduced obviously at a first glance. What I had not expected is that the struts are made of one piece - no "rocket-struts" or however those shaped ones are named by other brands ! As shaped struts were mostly marketed as state of the art in 2003 aerodynamic MUSTS, I wonder why they now are missing on such a high tech machine with obvious progressions in areodynamics !?

aloha

HT

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Re: shaped struts - gimmik or aerodynamic advantage ?

Postby Dwight » Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:04 pm

Hangtimer wrote:hi there,

past weekend I saw a Phoenix 21 live for the first time. The double chambered elyptical front tube really looks high tech and working surface is reduced obviously at a first glance. What I had not expected is that the struts are made of one piece - no "rocket-struts" or however those shaped ones are named by other brands ! As shaped struts were mostly marketed as state of the art in 2003 aerodynamic MUSTS, I wonder why they now are missing on such a high tech machine with obvious progressions in areodynamics !?

aloha

HT
They may have been left off to save weight and money. I'm sure that leading edge is heavy and expensive to make. Wait for the 04 smaller Gaastra sizes and see what they are doing.

Also, in light wind it may be less important.

I can tell you North has put extreme effort into foil definition with the 04 Rhino. When you feel how good the range of these kites is now, it makes you think just maybe there is something to all those gimmicks.

toyflish
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby toyflish » Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:27 pm

easy answer:: they are to heavy
you want a low-wind-kite you make it lite

Return to “Kitesurfing”