Rhino 04 tested against another 04 brand

Forum for kitesurfers
Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Dwight » Sat Sep 06, 2003 2:41 am

JBo wrote:So Dwight what ever happened to the wave tray? Why the Ovideo change? I thought the WT was IT! Give us low down on another thread on this subject which is more or less a North 04 Jaime Pro.
The WT was it for me. I rode them for 14 months. Things change. I tried other stuff and settled on a different feel in the boards I like.

healeyg
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Rhino04 sizing

Postby healeyg » Sat Sep 06, 2003 4:18 am

Dwight -

I'm 220lbs & riding a rhino2 20 in 10-20mph, 16 in 15-25, and a 12 in 20-30. My favorite board for all sizes is a WT147x38 (i use a 179x43 Fanatic Spider for light air and i use a 141 Jamie Pro in strong & steady wind). I like to ride and jump aggressively, also like wake-style tricks. I like my quiver, but there is plenty of overlap, especially between the 20 and 16.

My question is: given what you know about 04 north gear, would a replacement quiver you might suggest be:

rhino04 20, 14 and Jamie Pro 128x37.5

or would you add a kite, a board or both?

thanks, gregg

david
Medium Poster

Postby david » Sat Sep 06, 2003 11:00 am

Dwight wrote:
heffe wrote:Dwight,
What can you tell us about this "Ovideo" guy, besides you love his boards? Who is he, where from,etc? Website?

From what Jaime said on Toby's recent interview, the Jaime Pro will come in 128 x 38.5 cm and 130 x 40 cm....hmmmmm, drooling already.

Thanks,
-H :thumb:
Ovideo is the shaper for a company called Flycat in Tarifia. Jaime works with Ovideo to create the Jaime Pro models. He doesn’t have a web site. His boards are expensive and hand made. The Jaime Pro is cheaper and lighter!
Ovidio is the shaper of Cat Fun in Tarifa South Spain. My windsurfboards were from him. Very talented shaper that first shaped surfboards in Biarritz ( South of France, Atlantic Ocean) and emmigrated to the windsurfmekka in the 80's : Tarifa. But he was more a surfer then a windsurfer. When the kites were coming he became fully passionated for kitesurfing.
I really doubt if his customboards would be heavier then the serial boards! :-? and if his customboards would cost more then 750 €. And a customboard is always a step further then the serials especially from such a good shapers.

Mostly customs are still better then serial boards IMHO.

anyway I would like to try the new R4 :P

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dwight » Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:14 pm

david wrote:
Dwight wrote:
heffe wrote:Dwight,
What can you tell us about this "Ovideo" guy, besides you love his boards? Who is he, where from,etc? Website?

From what Jaime said on Toby's recent interview, the Jaime Pro will come in 128 x 38.5 cm and 130 x 40 cm....hmmmmm, drooling already.

Thanks,
-H :thumb:
Ovideo is the shaper for a company called Flycat in Tarifia. Jaime works with Ovideo to create the Jaime Pro models. He doesn’t have a web site. His boards are expensive and hand made. The Jaime Pro is cheaper and lighter!
Ovidio is the shaper of Cat Fun in Tarifa South Spain. My windsurfboards were from him. Very talented shaper that first shaped surfboards in Biarritz ( South of France, Atlantic Ocean) and emmigrated to the windsurfmekka in the 80's : Tarifa. But he was more a surfer then a windsurfer. When the kites were coming he became fully passionated for kitesurfing.
I really doubt if his customboards would be heavier then the serial boards! :-? and if his customboards would cost more then 750 €. And a customboard is always a step further then the serials especially from such a good shapers.

Mostly customs are still better then serial boards IMHO.

anyway I would like to try the new R4 :P
His customs are 800 euro. $950.00 US.

His customs are PVC skinned, similar to production, so they are heavier than production. That said, they are not heavy. They are heavier than all epoxy customs. His company is flycat.

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Rhino04 sizing

Postby Dwight » Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:24 pm

healeyg wrote:Dwight -

I'm 220lbs & riding a rhino2 20 in 10-20mph, 16 in 15-25, and a 12 in 20-30. My favorite board for all sizes is a WT147x38 (i use a 179x43 Fanatic Spider for light air and i use a 141 Jamie Pro in strong & steady wind). I like to ride and jump aggressively, also like wake-style tricks. I like my quiver, but there is plenty of overlap, especially between the 20 and 16.

My question is: given what you know about 04 north gear, would a replacement quiver you might suggest be:

thanks, gregg
The 20 to 14 gap is very comfortable. I am staying with that gap. I have no plans to try the 16 now. I have both the 20 and 14 R4s now. The gap has plenty of overlap.

The board is hard for me guess about. My Jaime Pro prototype is slightly wider than production. You may want both Jaime Pro models, the wide and narrow one to fill your needs. Another possibility is the L Dragon. It's a little bigger than the small Jaime Pro. We have one local 200 lb guy who's very happy using the L Dragon as his only board. He rides the 20 and 16 R2s the most. I'd probably go for both Jaime Pro models if I were you. If you've had a chance to see the new Fanatic boards, the Jaime Pros are the same construction. The Fanatic is a light, nice looking board.

hwenn
Medium Poster

Rhino4 20 Review?

Postby hwenn » Sat Sep 06, 2003 3:59 pm

Dwight

I definately read and appreciate all your posts on coming north products. I was a big R2 fan but at 157 its a little much once I get to 18 knots or so.

If you get the time and a couple opportunites to try the kite please start a new post and review.

Thanks

Henrik

PS When can we buy the 14s?

healeyg
Medium Poster

Postby healeyg » Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:00 pm

Dwight wrote:

thanks, gregg
The 20 to 14 gap is very comfortable. I am staying with that gap. I have no plans to try the 16 now. I have both the 20 and 14 R4s now. The gap has plenty of overlap.

The board is hard for me guess about. My Jaime Pro prototype is slightly wider than production. You may want both Jaime Pro models, the wide and narrow one to fill your needs. Another possibility is the L Dragon. It's a little bigger than the small Jaime Pro. We have one local 200 lb guy who's very happy using the L Dragon as his only board. He rides the 20 and 16 R2s the most. I'd probably go for both Jaime Pro models if I were you. If you've had a chance to see the new Fanatic boards, the Jaime Pros are the same construction. The Fanatic is a light, nice looking board.
dwight, thanks

in your opinion, is the Dragon L fast enough to maximize the potential of the Rhino4? (eg, is it any faster than my wave tray?)

also, is the jamie pro 128x40cm going into production? only the smaller 37.5cm board is on the north website right now ...

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dwight » Sat Sep 06, 2003 10:18 pm

healeyg wrote:
Dwight wrote:

thanks, gregg

dwight, thanks

in your opinion, is the Dragon L fast enough to maximize the potential of the Rhino4? (eg, is it any faster than my wave tray?)

also, is the jamie pro 128x40cm going into production? only the smaller 37.5cm board is on the north website right now ...
The L Dragon is fairly fast. On Toby's page from the Germany contest you can see a "production" wide Jaime Pro. The web page will get updated.

healeyg
Medium Poster

Postby healeyg » Sun Sep 07, 2003 3:45 am

Dwight wrote:
healeyg wrote:
Dwight wrote: The 20 to 14 gap is very comfortable. I am staying with that gap. I have no plans to try the 16 now. I have both the 20 and 14 R4s now. The gap has plenty of overlap.

dwight, thanks

The L Dragon is fairly fast. On Toby's page from the Germany contest you can see a "production" wide Jaime Pro. The web page will get updated.
Have you tried the 20 yet? i'm curious to see how it rides compared to the 14 and the R2 20 ...

Thanks for your insight; v. helpful

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dwight » Sun Sep 07, 2003 2:12 pm

healeyg wrote:
Have you tried the 20 yet? i'm curious to see how it rides compared to the 14 and the R2 20 ...

Thanks for your insight; v. helpful
The new 20 has the same low end, yet rides farther forward in the window. A nice improvement.

Return to “Kitesurfing”