Kitedude
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

RRD Type Conv

Postby Kitedude » Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:18 pm

Hey,

wondering if anybody has a manual or picture of the bridal system. As its an old kite i have. the first thing i did was put it on 4 line. now i want to put it back on to 2 lines, but i'm not to sure which way to put on the bridle.

So i'd be mighty grateful if someone could talk me threw it or pass on a manual or detailed pictur eor something of the sort,

Thanks,

Brian

Maris
Medium Poster

Postby Maris » Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:06 am

I have a RRD conv type but i flyed my kite only one time 2line after i changed to 4line kite was more controlable. I have 14m2.
There was no manual for RRD 2002 kites at all.
But the bridling is the same as for all ather 2line kites. So take a naish or other compaies manual.

Kitedude
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kitedude » Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:53 am

thanks for that,

what way do you have your 4 lines set up, are the front and back equal length. I can t seem to get the right balance on mine (8m) and it's not very stable in the air. thats why i want to change it back to see if it will fly better.

captpaul
Rare Poster

Postby captpaul » Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:11 pm

Kitedude,

I got an 8m TypeConv with bar and lines for my wife a while back. I'm a fairly experienced kiter, having flown North, Cabrinha, Liquid Force, Airush, and Gaastra. My wife had problems with it and I was never able to get it to fly properly either: in any puff of wind, it would shoot towards the edge of the wind window, stall and fall from the sky. We tried to contact RRD but never got a reply. The dealer wouldn't take it back so we ended up selling it for half what we paid for it without ever taking it out on the water.

Hope you have more luck than us,

Paul

balaton
Medium Poster

Type conv sizes

Postby balaton » Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:42 pm

It is really important which size you have from the Con line. 12.0 and 14.0 is really good, 8.0 flies bad.
I would'n change it to 2 line mode, don't see the point for that.
Have fun

CC
Very Frequent Poster

Postby CC » Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:15 am

I learned on a 14.0 with 4 line set up. For me it's a good kite to learn, not a huge jumper but very predictable and soft.
It’s also true that they fall easily from the sky in very low winds. I never used the 2 line set up, never saw the need for it.

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:45 am

If your type con is falling from the sky, either there is not enough wind for the size of kite or you have it set up incorredtly. When you switch from 2 to 4 lines it is really important to spend som time on the beach tunning it. Don't bother switching it back to 2 lines. It is the best beginer intermediate kite you could own. Also it is pretty important to make sure the wing tips are rolled up correctly.We have guys here who went from much more adbvanced 4 linners back to it for waves and loved it.

For tunning help go to http://www.kitesurfpr.com and look under tunning tips. If you can't work it out from there e-mail me at roycereid@hotmail.com.

Aloha
Royce.

fifis101
Rare Poster
Gear: RRD Type Conv 10

Re: RRD TYPE CONV

Postby fifis101 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:43 pm

I just bought myself a second hand RRD Type Conv 10. It's in pretty good condition, like it's hardly been used at all. It only arrived yesterday so I haven't opened up the kite yet but I did take check out the harness, bar and rigging but I wasn't 100% sure what I was looking at. I assume being an older kite that things have changed since then and everything I have looked at recently in store or online doesn't exactly look like the older stuff I have. It looks like the kite is set up with 2 lines as the centre lines and chicken loop were wrapped up on a holder and not on the bar.

I am a little confused with the old chicken loop, there's no donkey stick and the length adjustment seems to be a tri-glide buckle style with bugger all length adjustment. The bottom section of rope can just be pulled out of the length adjuster, so I'm not sure how this gets locked off. Maybe the ball down near the loop has something to do with that.

The loop that's on the back of the bar is new to me. It's just velcro'ed on, so easily removed. Can anyone fill me in what it is and used for? Is it how you fly with 2 lines?

The red line splits at the fly line. One goes to the bar and the other to a velcro strap. I assume this is some sort of safety line?

If anyone can give me some insight that would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Josh

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Re: RRD TYPE CONV

Postby or6 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:04 am

Josh, the wrist leash is your safety.

The large loop on the bar is indeed for two line kiting. Take it off.

If you want, you can add a donkey stick yourself, shouldn't be too difficult.

My advice: fly it in shallow water first, in 10 -14 knots. Find it's sweet spot, and only ever try kiting with it around it's sweet spot. It will have a very narrow range.

Also, try to hit the gym and build up some legmuscle. You'll need it.

EDIT: just realized that the wrist line safety might only work in two line mode. It might not work well or at all in four line mode. Also: that chickenloop is closed, you will have to unhook...there is NO QUICK RELEASE. Be careful! Better yet: don't use the chickenloop, buy a replacement, use another bar....

Maybe someone with direct knowledge of this kite can chime in?

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Re: RRD Type Conv

Postby knotwindy » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:20 pm

I was kind of hoping this was just a joke.
Don’t use that bar setup. There are much safer ways to go nowadays.

Return to “Kitesurfing”