Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Q: moving fins towards the tips of the board? Effects?

Forum for kitesurfers
markusf
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Q: moving fins towards the tips of the board? Effects?

Postby markusf » Fri Sep 05, 2003 7:54 am

Hi

I'm building a twintip board, but the board I'm copying has fins quite far away from the ends of the board. For example loose's TX141 http://www.loose.it/tx_line.htm has fins really far from the tips.
But as I see it this is quite a exception as most boards have fins quite close to the tips.

So the question is what kind of effects the fin placing will have and is there a rule of thumb for balanced placing?

Cheers :thumb:
markusf

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Dwight » Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:12 pm

My Amundson board had multiple fin holes to allow me to move them closer to the end. I rode the board with fins closer at one end versus the other. I found the board held better at the end with the fins closest to the end. I now ride everything with fins flush with the tail.

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Hernan » Fri Sep 05, 2003 2:40 pm

Fins placed farther aft gives better directional stability (tracking), making the board less turny. It could be said that aft is also faster. In a Twinntip you have a extreme kick in the tail in relation with fin size, so general board design issues doesn't apply exactly. In a sailboard a fin placed closer to the tail feels smaller, with less lateral resistance.
Front Fins are less catchy placed farther aft, as they are a bit more off the water.
Other variable is that a fin placed close to the tail makes the nose ride lower.

The best tip: They have to look as the are in the right place.

Return to “Kitesurfing”