Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Who buys new equipment every year? and why?

Forum for kitesurfers
JBo
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Who buys new equipment every year? and why?

Postby JBo » Sun Dec 28, 2003 3:01 am

After new equipment for the past 3 years I can no longer afford the new 2004 stuff. The new kite prices are out of the roof with miniscule discount from my local dealer. It doesn't help either with terrible resale value , 50% or less, on my North Whino R2s. Get this - the new 3 kite quiver with a board is around $4K+. I thought this sport was supposed to be affordable to the main stream. With numbers like that , and escalating, I can see this sport scaring newbies or us oldbies away.

Maybe the 2nd mortgage should help or part-time gigolo....... :idea: or get rid of the girlfriend. A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.............:wink:

MrBonk
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby MrBonk » Sun Dec 28, 2003 3:21 am

I think a lot of the guys around here get new gear every year so they *can* still get reasonable returns on their old stuff. The older it gets, the less likely it is to sell and the less it's worth if it does. If you look after your gear, you should still be able to get good money for it, particularly with the number of ppl entering the sport and wanting second hand gear to learn on.

The other thing to consider is how much better the new gear performs. Kites are getting more and more refined every year. The difference between my '02 Airush Lift 12.2 (15.4m flat) and my new '04 16m Lift is *very* noticeable. Substantially better performance in all areas :thumb:

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:40 am

4 grand for 3 brand new kites and one brand new board???? That is incredably cheap. To get similiar kit here in NZ I'd pay nearly 10 grand.

Still as you say 4 grand is quite a lot to be paying every year. As for getting rid of girlfriends goes... do it!! If you put your Mrs before your kiting then maybe you should take a LONG HARD LOOK AT YOURSELF and get your priorities sorted!! :thumb:

Oh yes and my answer to the question. No I don't get new kites every year. The kites i have perform brilliantly and it's too expensive to keep buying new toys.

PowerRide
Rare Poster

Postby PowerRide » Sun Dec 28, 2003 4:01 pm

Think about this. I live in Cabarete for the moment and here Lou waiman is using a Skoop 1 from 2002. He is in my eyes one of the best kitesurfers ever. If he is surfing so good with a 2002 kite whats the point in changing gear every year? Besides a surfer who knows his gear will always be 10 times better than the guys with the newest gear :lol:

PowerRide

Hampton
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hampton » Sun Dec 28, 2003 5:31 pm

I change gear every year so far because this is my first year!

Four boards:
- One 7 foot directional - used - don't use anymore
- One LiteWave 169 - used - Take the family on cruises with it
- One Lab Rat 150 - It Rocks!!!
- One LiteWave 115 - It Rolls!!!

Five Kites:
- Very Old Naish AR5 15.5 - don't use
- New Takoon Skoop II 17.0 - Use most
- New Airush Lift Pro 11.5 - Use second
- New Phoenix 25.0 - Use third
- New Gaastra 8.0 - Haven't tried yet

I hope I'm done with the big spend!!!

biggins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby biggins » Sun Dec 28, 2003 5:40 pm

What about this? ONE kite and two boards!! Most of time when the wind is above 25 knots here it's REALLY gusty and when it's under 12/13 knots it's not that fun. So....what about a 15m(for a 90 kg) and two boards (light wind big board and smaller med/high wind board. The boards last MUCH longer than the kites and having only one kite per every 1 to 2 years to upgrade would REALLY save on cash. The range is 12/13 to 23/25 knots with the two boards which is by far the best wind conditions for kiting here. Anyone else come to this conclusion?
J

jenxx
Medium Poster

Postby jenxx » Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:02 pm

yo alot of the guys i ride with get new kites every year but they get closeouts at the end of the year . most of us are working class lake bumms and can't pay $1,000 plus for a new kite .
so we wait unt'll winter to get a new kite or board . we know whats kite are good or bad and save 30-50% off the start of season .makes resale easy and not a bad hit on the pocket book .
anyway this way we can ride a new kite and keep our wifes too :girl: .

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:37 pm

yeh you dont have to buy new gear there are unused classics out there if you look. i saw a unused 2002 airblast 11m for £250 bout $400 complete a while back that would make a sweet kite for someone who can fly.

i know loads of guys on year old plus kit who rip better than many on new kites, its the rider not the kit, the kit helps. people who buy new are purchasing cachet and paying for it, the performance improves each year.

some brands make big jumps relative to others but generrally the top end moves along at the same rate.

luketheloony
Medium Poster

Postby luketheloony » Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:45 pm

most old kites get worn,wehen u leave your kite on the beach flapping in the wind the material streches and ther for the kite will be totaly unstable.anyways,i havnt changes my 2002 8.4 airblast because i love it to much,its the best kite iv ever had :mosh:

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:06 pm

Loox like it's a matter of personal opinion... and of course how cheap can you get new kites for... there are bargians to be had but as with anything else buying the latest top of the line gear brand spankin new is the most innefficient way to spend your hard earned cash. I have all 2002 kites and 2001 boards and they still perform great. The 2002 kites have excellent durability and can take quite a bit of abuse.

As SQ said it's the kiter, not the kite that makes the biggest difference so instead of spending 4 grand on new kit you are better off taking 3 months off work and gettin as much time on the water as U can. :wink:

Return to “Kitesurfing”