Best locations for Kitesurfing in February or March

Forum for kitesurfers
Shannon
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Shannon » Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:15 am

Western Australia is awesome from Nov till March with waves and flat water all over the place. Summer time so its very warm and the girls are out! :thumb:

Supersonic
Rare Poster

Postby Supersonic » Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:15 am

@Mission Man: Which is the best place to stay at langebaan? Are there others who have expirience with accomodations in langebaan? Thanks in advance.

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:41 am

I haven't stayed at the place at Cape Sports, but I hear its pretty decent and you can get single rooms. There are a couple of Naish pros there to kite with. (Renier/Alan) You can also hire sea kayaks etc if you want to just ride around. There is a review of the accommodation at http://www.ikiteboarding.com/article_detail.aspx?id=89

We go down as a larger group, so if you have enough people you can hire a place at Schaapenzicht (self catering), which is where we stayed. Right on langebaan main beach. It sleeps 5-6 people and costs R650/day (about $100) This is what it looks like. There are 3 restuarants across the road and you can get a decent rack of ribs for about $6. The person to get hold of is Sandra on Office (27) 227362539/ Cellular (27) 832524453

This is what Schaapenzicht looks like where we stayed:

Outside grass area just outside the chalets for rigging up. You can see the beach right in front of you. Bare in mind all the accommodation is situated on Langebaan main beach, not shark bay, and the main beach is where you kite a lot of the time, because its as good as shark bay, just more choppy and less beautiful. Shark bay is about 5-10 knots lighter, but its an awesome spot to kite. Shark bay is about 5 minutes drive away, but situated on a nature reserve which is protected, so no accommodation there:

Here is another shot looking down towards Cape Sports Centre (Situated after the houses at the end)

This is a view of the kiting on the main beach, still awesome and its right by the place you stay, hence the reason the guys go there.

This is another view looking the opposite way away from Cape Sports. Its shows the restuarants right next door where the cars are parked, so you don't even have to drive to get decent food. The local cafe is about 5 minutes walk away for beers and food stuff for the house.If you want more pictures, send me a PVT Mail and I'll email them through. Don't want to kill robyn's pic server with high res stuff.

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:57 am

Shannon wrote:Western Australia is awesome from Nov till March with waves and flat water all over the place. Summer time so its very warm and the girls are out! :thumb:
The funny part is you joke about checking out women, but we had some seriously wind starved guys along so females were the last thing on their mind. (females are everywhere) With 12 guys on the tour, you'd expect guys to be following females around like rabid dogs, but in our case it was:

Guy 1 - Wow, check out the chick in the g-string
Guy 2 - Nice...Can you launch me?

Mo
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The KiteHouse _ North Marina _ Liban Nord
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan, Ras Sudr
Style: Freestyle
Gear: DTK Mono 2020 15m, 2020 Mono 11m, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 Rebel SLS 10m, 2021 Neo SLS 9m, 2020 Dice 9m, 2022 Dice 8m, 2022 Dice 7m, 2022 Neo SLS 5m
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Postby Mo » Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:39 pm

It seems that I stay at the same place MM stayed.

Last year I paid R650.00/night. This year R780.00!
Can't wait to get there....

Mo

Dax
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dax » Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:53 am

I'm going to South Padre Island, Texas for the first week of March. I don't think its the best place, but for the USA it is closer to home. I've never been, but I have high hopes. Looks like a lot of wind, warmth, and flat water. Its also looks to be a lot cheaper than my trip to Maui. Will report back here on how it goes. :bye:

Return to “Kitesurfing”