Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

front loops- please give any advice

Forum for kitesurfers
learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

front loops- please give any advice

Postby learner » Tue May 11, 2004 4:33 pm

high can do backloops with good speed and pop now but keen to learn front loops, not tried yet so any tips welcome please..

thanks guys n girls for the info

and to Toby for the forum

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby cglazier » Tue May 11, 2004 11:57 pm

Learning front loops requires commitment. Unlike back loops, you must throw yourself upside down and you are briefly disoriented.

You must have moderate to strong wind strength. Flat water helps. Bring your kite sharply back from 11 oclick to 12 oclock as you would for any small jump. Hold your edge as long as you can and then just before you leave the water throw your head down in front of you and your feet up behing you. Imagine yourself rolling over on your shoulderblades.

Be sure to be bringing your kite forward again while all this happens by pulling with your forward hand (I usually remind myself which is my forward hand before I start any rotation because I can't figure it out when I am upside down).

Try to kick your feet straight up but just getting them higher than your head counts as a forward roll. Once your feet start coming down you can reorient yourself and spot your landing. With forward rolls you will find yourself higher than with back rolls. If you are still too high just tuck your legs in and go for another rotation.

Have fun
:wink:
Chris Glazier

buttercutter
Frequent Poster

Postby buttercutter » Wed May 12, 2004 3:37 am

I found front rolls much easier and natural to learn than the backs for some reason. The biggest thing is commiting for your first try.

Just get going moderate speed, not too fast, bring your kite up to only about 12 and throw a sholder and head in the direction you're traveling. As SOON as your board leaves the water, pull on the front hand again, otherwise you will stall the kite when you land. You really don't need to jump very high, just throw your body around with your head tucked to the shoulder. Then you can try higher and slower rotations after that feels confortable.

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Wed May 12, 2004 10:30 am

my biggest problem with the frontloops was that you will see 'sky above water ' (i.e. in the right order) when you're only halfway through the rotation - while doing a backloop you spot your landing at this point - and i stopped rotating only to find out i'm flying backwards. the resulting crashes were rather painful ;-)
i just kept reminding myself of the fact that i need to rotate all the way but still kept on slowing down after being halfway through. i found out it was my head - i threw it into the rotation but had it upright too soon again like i was used from the backroll.

Return to “Kitesurfing”