Side-off

Forum for kitesurfers
ed257
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Side-off

Postby ed257 » Wed May 19, 2004 10:27 pm

Obviously riding in direct off-shore winds is not a good idea, but does anyone regularly ride in side-off conditions?

Although not ideal, it seems relatively low risk because you have an angle of attack to get back and even self rescue. Jumps near the shore in side-off conditions would also seem safer than side-on or direct on-shore because you won't land on the beach or up in a tree.

Comments?

Eduardo

KiteGlider
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby KiteGlider » Thu May 20, 2004 3:00 am

My recent experience with side off shore was scary so no more unless full rescue support is available.

The main problem I had was that the wind was very turbulent because of coming off the land and dunes on the shore.

Extreme overpower, then not enough to even get planing.

I managed to get back to shore by using the waves and then body boarding the last 50m to be sure to avoid loosing the board.

Your board gets blown offshore if you fall off and then you have to decide if you want to risk body dragging away from shore in offshore winds.

I decided just to not loose the board, and went into survival mode and recovered OK, was not really a "fun" time.

It could be an epic session if you had perfect conditions, hollow waves that are helped by offshore wind, rescue support on standby and at least a couple cameras working.

pauly
Rare Poster

Hmmmm depends...

Postby pauly » Thu May 20, 2004 4:52 am

Hey, i think it depends on the location and the extent of land/obstacles etc that the wind will hit before it reaches the beach, i have ridden in side-off shore conditions on a number of occassions and have found it to be sweet, as like you say you have a fair amount of angle to work with and i tend to think that jumping in these conditions is much safer,
It works for me, :P

Jeff82
Frequent Poster

Postby Jeff82 » Thu May 20, 2004 9:47 am

I agree with Pauly, we have a spot over here that you can go out when the winds offshore, it's does have it's gusty days but then again has some very nice days too. As long as you can go upwind your fine though. I'm not too sure about the self rescue but, you'd probably be stuffed if you had to do that. It's easy worth the risk though to get ripple free water and feels great boosting right next to the beach :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”