Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Trainer Kites and Jupiter Florida newby intro.

Forum for kitesurfers
daxianne
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Trainer Kites and Jupiter Florida newby intro.

Postby daxianne » Tue May 25, 2004 8:32 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm from Jupiter, Florida and have become obsessed with kitesurfing...I finally went into the kitesurfing store today and signed up for lessons :D

What he recommended I do before I take lessons is fly a trainer kite. Now, I've accepted that kitesurfing is going to be expensive for me to start up and am completely commited...but we're talking an extra $200...which due to my inability to balance my check book (banks are such crooks with overdraft fees!) I don't have right now.

So, I just wanted to get everyone's oppinions on how important this is. Should I take this extra step or just go on to my first lesson?

Also, since I'm here...is there anyone in Jupiter? I don't know anyone that kitesurfs right now, so it would be cool to meet up with some ppl in the area.

_Dax_

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Tue May 25, 2004 8:37 pm

Yes it's worth it, but look around for a cheaper kite. Look for a used B2 by slingshot or others. Check ikitesurf.com or even ebay. All you need is a small foil with bar adn lines to get some good practice in. Be careful though and fly the kite in an open area away from any people or objects.
Be smart, be safe.
good luck and welcome to the addiction.

Airtime
Frequent Poster

Postby Airtime » Tue May 25, 2004 8:42 pm

If you signed up for lessons.. they should be able to supply you with all the equipment that you need. I personally like trainer Kites.. but do not believe they are necessary to get into the sport.. I find them useful for practice .. mainly for kids or to entertain on the beach when there's nothing else going on... light winds or guest that want an Introduction into the sport.. we have an airush 3 m... it's a great little kite, my son's friends and other guests have beat it .. and it still as good as new.. it's the most durable and safest kite to give to people mildly interested in the sport!

the bottom line.. your money is better invested in the lessons, but if you're interested in introducing kids friends and spouses into the sport.. and they aren't not at the commitment level for lessons a trainer kite is a good alternative.

daxianne
Rare Poster

Thanks!

Postby daxianne » Wed May 26, 2004 2:23 am

I'll check out ikitesurf to see if I can find a cheaper one, but if not I guess I'll try it without...I really want to get started asap :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”