Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Wounds and salty water

Forum for kitesurfers
abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos (prasonisi), Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride, very light winds
Gear: Peak4, Airush Ultra, hydrofoil Moses 633

Wounds and salty water

Postby abel » Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:29 pm

When your'e lucky and ride almost every day on the sea, if you have a wound it might take weeks to heal because of the salty water. :(
I tried water resistant plasters, water resistant spray plaster, antibiotic creams and also no tratment at all.
The results are almost the same in all cases, takes for ever ot heal :-?

Do you know about any treatment/recommendatios how to avoid the openning of a wound again and again during every session?
( "Don't ride for a week" answer not accepted :) )

Cuball1
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Cuball1 » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:28 pm

try one of those "2nd" skin plaasters, they are water resistant and should heal the wound nicely

Kiteboarddog
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Kiteboarddog » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:56 pm

Duct tape it

MrBonk
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MrBonk » Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:04 pm

I cut my feet a lot when I was learning (lots of shite on the bottom where I kite) and got a few gashes on my legs and back from razor shells last season. I put hydrogen peroxide on the cuts a couple of times per day and they healed quickly. It foams up on contact with the wound and stings like a bastard, but works a treat :thumb:

dt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby dt » Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:36 am

It is my understanding docs dont use peroxide on wounds anymore because it damages open flesh and does more harm than good. For the last several years they recommended washing with soap and water and then applying neosporin or anything similar

But, now things have changed again. I cut my thumb more than a 1/4" deep and a doc recommended I wash and dry the wound and then put "Nu Skin" on it. It is like super glue and is reasonably waterproof and kills bacteria. I stayed off the water for two days, even though a doc said I didn't need to, and kited the next six days in a row and now it is almost totally healed. There are several types of Nu Skin and they can been found near the shelves where bandaids are sold.

dt

MrBonk
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MrBonk » Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:59 am

dt wrote:It is my understanding docs dont use peroxide on wounds anymore because it damages open flesh and does more harm than good.

dt
You know, it's funny you should mention that. My girlfriend (who's a nurse) was horrified when I whipped out the peroxide one day to apply to a cut on my leg. Strangely enough though, it was a nurse who originally suggested the peroxide to me!

R1ck
Frequent Poster

Postby R1ck » Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:01 am

hydrogen peroxide kills everything....the good cells, the bad, and bacteria. avoid at all costs. duct tape works well and is waterproof...just hurts like crazy when u take it off. try newskin as mentioned above

girl
Rare Poster

Postby girl » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:45 am

duct tape is brilliant stuff. It's not cosmetic surgery though, be prepared to look like the wrong side of the mia space station

nir_
Frequent Poster

Postby nir_ » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:35 am

i found out that salty water on open wounds
only make the wound heal faster!
one of my kiting spots is realy rocky - and i end up cutting my legs quite often
at night i put bandage after a good hot bath
and the next day - i take it off and kite again
2-3 days with this routine and the wound is healed...

pndLA
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: brazil, west-oz, capetown, MRU, Lanzarote, Tarifa...
Style: Waves & Foil
Gear: Slingshot / Ozone / North / LEVITAZ Foils
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot, Ozone, North, Gaastra,

gel-plasters

Postby pndLA » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:54 am

i used some gel-plasters that are supposd to increase the pocessof healing and the building of new cells...
its not 100% waterproof but if you put some duct tape over it a keep it on for 2-3 days the healing really goes faster!

Return to “Kitesurfing”