Forum for kitesurfers
taichikiter
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

X-Bow owners thoughts - kite quiver?

Postby taichikiter » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:42 pm

Generally, have Crossbow owners got more than one (or other) kites in their quiver?

I currently (weigh 70kg) possess 14, 10, 7m2 CO2's and prefer to ride/cruise about on light winds 10kt to 20kt using my 14 & 10.

My delimma is should I go for the 9m2 Crossbow and get a 16.5m2 Contra or just be content with the 12m2 Crossbow to cover my needs?

So really how is the low end of these?

(edit: corrected spelling)
Last edited by taichikiter on Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

jatkinson
Frequent Poster

Postby jatkinson » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:54 pm

I have found that the 12m has replaced my co2 14 and 10m. The low end is similar, maybe even a bit better than the 14m and I have not yet found the top end of this kite. I have had it out in gusts close to 30 and have not had any problems.

JJ

Lonny
Rare Poster

Postby Lonny » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:29 pm

My quiver of kites from last season was a 16.5 Contra, 12 Nitro, and 8 Nitro - so a very similar quiver to yours.

Since I have gotten the X-Bow 12 I have only gotten to ride in conditions that mostly ranged from 8 - 15 MPH, and in fact I was holding on to my 16.5 Contra because I thought the low end of the 12 X-Bow would not be good enough to get me out on those 10 mph day. I have been extremely surprised to find that the low end on my X-bow 12 is almost as good or equal to my 16.5 Contra, and while the kite may not equal it in raw square footage the gain in efficiency and design seems to make up for it.

If you have a skim board, surf board, or directional you can definitely ride in 8-10mph nicely powered, and shortly thereafter (wind speed increase) jump on whatever you normally ride.

With all that being said, my plan is just to get the 9m X-bow. I think I can ride the same conditions with the 9 & 12 X-Bow and cover the same range more effectively than I did with my 3 kites from last season.

BTW - I weigh 165 lbs.

Hope that helps.

Warren Fuller
Rare Poster

165 lbs/ 75 kg

Postby Warren Fuller » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:23 pm

I was using a SS Fuel 15, SS Diesel 13, and SS Fuel 11 for winds in the 12-25 mph range. Now I only ride the Crossbow 12. If the winds are in the 10-12 mph range, I ride a 208 cm directional. As the wind increases, I then go to a 178 cm directional, and then a 135 cm Amundson TT.

I also bought a Crossbow 9 as an all around kite for my wife. I plan on using it when the wind gets above 25 mph.

I too have not found the top end of the Crossbow 12 - yet.

Oh yeah, I'm 75 kg / 165 lbs also.

davo
Medium Poster

Postby davo » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:05 am

High end on these kites do sound impressive, it seems to be universal that most people are yet to find the upper limit-for the 12m prob 28kts or slightly more. So (just speculating) if a 16 xb has an upper range of close on 24kts it sounds likely a 16xb - 9xb may be a comfy overlap. My current 17m '04 nitro gets me to 22kts gusts & in nice control- just really powered. So it would be interesting to hear from 16m xb owners on their top end too!!

JS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JS » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:34 am

I think that Cabrinha's spacing is probably well thought out. That is: 7, 9, 12, 16. Which kites in the range you get should depend on the conditions you ride in but skipping a size will compromise performance.

I guess you could get away with going straight from a 16 down to a 9 but you'll be giving up a lot in the middle. A powered up 12 will be a lot more responsive and manageable than a heavily depowered 16 when the wind is blowing but not quite strong enough for a 9.

And to taichkiter, I wouldn't mix your kites by getting a Contra 16.5 when a Crossbow 16 should cover the same range and then some. The X-Bow flies differently from the others so I'd try to stay consistent if you can.

I've flown a X-Bow 16 only once, and in 18-20 knot gusts there was lots of depower room left. I'm curious to test the lower range and see if it's close enough to my Contra 19.5 that I can get rid of that kite and really travel light.

KiteKarl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby KiteKarl » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:38 am

So I've rode my 12M bow for the last 3 days. Sandbar 2 days ago, lulls of 12 gusts to 30, Manzanita yesterday 20-30, and Ft Stevens today 12-20. No problems inverting (pump those struts hard), amazing range and made for the waves. No more thinking about which kite to pump up, it's always the 12. There were a few guys out with us today on 15-17 fuels, about same weight, same board size as myself and I had no problem holding ground and matching their speeds. I'm just gonna get a 6 foot surfboard for the light days and my 125 TT for all else. It's the one kite quiver!

Mosaic
Medium Poster

Postby Mosaic » Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:01 pm

I had the 16 CB out in 23 mph, gusting to about 30 (post hurricane winds). At the upper end of that, it was a little uncomfortable to pull in because the power was so intense. However, at 23-25, it worked fine - the jumps were insane, and there was still enough depower to ride comfortably in waves without getting yanked. Standing on the beach at the end o fthe session, I felt comfortable, more so than if I had a 12 up in terms of getting lofted or jerked around. Other people were out on 10's and 12's. I weigh about 185 lbs. I think I could use the 16 about 95% of the time in FL, and then just use a 10 for when it is really nuking. Not going to buy a smaller CB yet because I don't think I would use it enough to justify the money. First reasonably priced 12 I see though I am taking.

vide
Very Frequent Poster

Postby vide » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:34 am

I used the CB 12 today in wind gusting to 35. No problems. Strap only half on, and not even having to edge my board. It has more top end than my 11m Fuel for sure.

I'm not sure about the 16, as it could feel heavy, but I havnt tried one yet. The 12 is a great kite. I''ll happily use mine from 13knots to 35, althought going to the 9 above 25 might be more fun, but would be a luxury not a neccesity.

DT

mentholelch
Medium Poster

ups, guess i posted this a a new topic in the forum... ;)

Postby mentholelch » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:11 pm

hey @all,

have one thought on my mind:
what about a quiver of 7 and 12?

or is the 7m² not available yet?

i guess 9 and 12 is too close?

i`m thinking that 16 and 9 would be perfect but i keep reading comments saying that "12 is the ONE kite quiver".
that would be awesome but somehow i don`t believe it...

thinking about the small sizes because every review of the 9m² xbow i read sounds like THE revelation...

@all guys who already bought the xbow:
what did you pay for it? and where?

regards.fritz

Return to “Kitesurfing”