Crossbow tangle

Forum for kitesurfers
Myself
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Crossbow tangle

Postby Myself » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:20 am

In the weekend I droped my kite in the water LE down facing me eg like you would put it on the beach. After a failed relaunch the lines started to get tangled around the bar and the depower pull balls as I was moving towards the kite faster than I could swim away. With the lines tangled around the bar what options do I have letf?

Luckly for me I was going towards the beach and the kite stayed down. What I want to know is how do I relaunch the crossbow from this position and how do I stop it getting tangled?

vide
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby vide » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:38 am

If the kite ends up leading edge towards you: swim to one side slightly, and then pull hard on the appropriate back line to spin the kite around until the wind catches the inside of the tip, and you can releanch normally.

Like any kite if you drop the kite in the drink you need to keep an eye on the lines at the bar and make sure there are no tangles before you relanch. This is a bit harder than normal with the CB due to the pulleys and trim straps etc.

davo
Medium Poster

Postby davo » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:57 am

agreed I've just gathered about 2-3 metres of rear line & the kite does spin(ie. didn't need to swim on that occasion). Never ever allow any lines to get close to your bar though(ie when pulling in line chuck it to one side)

vide
Very Frequent Poster

Postby vide » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:00 am

I haven't needed to swin either, but in the case where you might end up pulling the line under the kite instead of around this will help to get the kite turning.

dewey
Frequent Poster

Postby dewey » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:21 pm

I've seen a Xbow in the water like this before. Is it some thing that bow kites are prone to? I don't recall seeing C kites in the water in this position.

Dewey

taichikiter
Rare Poster

Postby taichikiter » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:27 pm

If your kite lands leading edge down in the water, pull on the centre lines, this hot launches the kite upwards just up above the water then control it to the side of the window.

Return to “Kitesurfing”