Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Sandy point, napatree, harbor of refuge RI
Style: Free ride
Gear: Slingshot rally 9,12 turbo 17
Placebo 140x43
Brand Affiliation: None

Gusty, what's the limit?

Postby Onthewater860 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:24 pm

I'm fairly new to kiting and wonder what kind of gusty conditions people fly in.
Example, right now I've got 15 as low and 30 as the high avg 18. I feel that a gust more than 10 over avg is too much. Am I wrong to think that?

Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Style: boots only
Gear: fuel envy wainman pansh naish jaime cwb

Re: Gusty, what's the limit?

Postby edt » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:38 pm

all personal preference how much you are willing to tolerate. Depends a lot on what the local conditions are like, some launches you have no choice it's gonna be gusty. The most dangerous time when it's gusty is launching and landing so don't dick around, get out there immediately ride as long as you like and when you land do it as quickly as possible even if it means pulling the QR.

Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Hood River
Gear: Best and switch

Postby mbevo » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:39 pm

Depends on how desperate you are

I don't mind the gusts as much as the lulls. 15-30 is pretty good here. But 5-35 is too much...although will still do it if i haven't kited for a while and just try to ride it out

Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: God created the naki so the hardcore people would have a place to live.
Favorite Beaches: Shhhhhhhhhhhhh...........
Style: Always searching for flow!
Gear: If you take 3.1415 from opinion. You get onion!
Brand Affiliation: What do yo call an Alligator in a vest? ............... An Investigator.

Postby plummet » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:20 pm

With experience comes greater ability to manage gusts.
The trick is to chose a kite that can handle the max gust but still go upwind in the lull.
So the higher the wind the larger the wind range you can fly in. Eg a 20 knot swing from 25-45 knots is intense but possible on a 5 or 6m. But 5-25 is a freaken nightmare because the low end is well bellow the kites wind range.

In reality 5 knot swing is easy. 10 knot getting interesting, 15 knot possible but pain in the arse, 20 knot only for super desperate super experienced dudes, 20+ knot..... go home.

Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Naish Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Crandon - Key Biscayne, FL
Sherman Island - Antioch, CA
Crissy Field - San Francisco, CA
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Anne's Beach - Islamorada, FL
Curry Hammocks - Marathon, FL
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Main Beach - Langebaan, South Africa
Mui Ne Bay - Ham Tien, Vietnam
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: _
2014 8m,10m Naish Torch
2014 11m SS RPM
2015 17m Blade Fat Lady v3
2014 Best Breeze 145, 2014 Naish Antic 142, 2017 Core Choice 2 142

Postby dracop » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:09 pm

I agree with plummet's scale
+/- 5 kts no problem
+/- 10 kts its work
+ /- 15 kts a PITA
+/- 20 kts super desperate
more than a 20 kt swing, go home

One catch: if the lulls are consistently belo 14 kts, forget about it, especially if its swining 15 kts either way. It is easier to to handle 40 avg lulling to 25 and gusting to 55 than it is 20 avg lulling to 5 and gusting to 35. Because the kite will fall out of the sky at low speeds then suddenly power up on the gust when in a bad position. In contrast, at higher wind speeds, you may have to ride downwind or do kiteloops to keep riding, but the kite stays in the air and its merely a matter of managing the pwoer.

Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Tobay beach, NY
Bayville, NY
Oak beach, NY
Gilgo beach, NY
Plumb beach, NY
Style: big air, freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
2015 Trax Carbon 135cm
Naish Apex bindings.

Postby jeromeL » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:27 pm

Sometimes it's worth driving a bit further to get cleaner wind. But cleaner wind can mean choppier often so you need to find a good compromise.
I agree with plummet, lull is an issue. If lull is more than 15 18, it should be fine since on 9m you can manage.
I have had a session recently with lull of 12 and gusts 40 on 9m. At some point kite almost fell out of the sky. Those session are not really enjoyable, on gusts you are nicely powered and ready to send kite for jump and line tension disappear and fall back in water or you jump and lull hits which makes kite fall deep in window and shoot back up on gusts sending you far downwind...
10 knots wind range is pretty common and fine here.
15 knots is fine if it's like 18-33 on 9m
20 knots wind range, I don't enjoy and usually pack and go home after a few scare when kite drops you out of the sky and gust catch you late...

After a trip in OBX with wind range less than 5 knots I learned that non gusty wind is a lot more fun and easier to boost in... You progress so much faster in consistent condition.

Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog
Favorite Beaches: West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog
Style: Freeride
Gear: 8m,10m, 12, Switchblades, 14m Velocity . Cabrinha Ace, Shinn Monk, Litewave DV8

Postby matth » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:08 pm

By far the most dangerous time to fly is when its gusty. I would stick with days with less than a 10knt spikes until you have solid kite control. Kites are amazing and can be ridden in very gusty conditions but it does require a lot of skill to manage the lulls and gust with out getting lofted or doing long swims and walks..

Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Any gear is good gear as long as it has nothing to do with EPIC!

Postby alexeyga » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:25 pm

5knts range - something you have wet nights about
10knts range - just another decent day
15knts range - you'll start questioning the fun factor fairly fast along your progress
20knts range - do something else more important/interesting regardless of when you rode last

It is probably worth noting that "15knts range" along any given coast isn't quite the same as "15knts range" deep inland.

Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: La Rubina (Spain)
Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer speed 4 lotus 15m, Ozone Catalyst 12m, North Evo 9m, Cabrinha Convert 7m
Boards: Brunotti Onyx 140x42, North Wam 5,10, Naish Bullet 5,4 and Ketos Foil so easy

Postby BOEMIX » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:23 am

Oh interesting topic.

Kite choice is the key to handle that conditions.

By far the best gust muncher kite I have is ozone acces 6m, used it in snowkiting supergusty conditions (10-40 knots).

So an inflatable closer to Ozone acces performance will be the best choice.

Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Long Bay, Providenciales, Turks & Caicos
Style: Freestyle and Airstyle
Gear: Liquid Force NRGs (6,8,10,12,14,16)
RRD Poison, Axis Limited, Slingshot Glide

Postby FLandOBX » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:03 am

For me, what wind range can be kited isn't as important as what wind range can be enjoyed. If the difference between min lull and max gust is more than 10-12 knots, it stops being fun. I'll usually drive an hour to cleaner coastal wind instead of kite behind my house on a gusty inland lake.

Most newer kites have lots of range, but with gusty wind, it first stops being fun and then, later, stops being safe. In response to your original question, Onthewater860, I think your judgment is rock solid. For a newer kiter, 10 (kts or mph) over average wind speed is too gusty for either fun or safety. Trust your good instincts, my friend. :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”