Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Show us your Custom/Hybrid/Home made kite connector!

forum for kitesurfers

iriejohn
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: Stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Show us your Custom/Hybrid/Home made kite connector!

Postby iriejohn » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:31 pm

FYI: I never unhook.

It started when I got a Jaystore Dynabar and started using rope to give me more freedom of movement and to prevent twisting pain from a longstanding lower back injury (slipped disc aka prolapsed or herniated disc) and from 4 broken LHS ribs.

To be brief, one day I looked at the Dynabar sliding hook, chicken loop, and donkey dick, and thought "hey, I don't need all this shit" and this is what I ended up with. I am genuinely interested in anything I can improve. First 3 pics then a brief description.

From Dynabar downwards:

1. Dynabar with 5mm Marlow Ropes D12 pre-stretched dyneema rope with an Ashley knot at each end.

2. Small length of white rope in the middle of the bar is an emergency loop for backup in case the main rope breaks/detaches.

3. Sliding mechanism with the original Dynabar wheel is a 6mm "D" shackle with a 6m x 25mm ring TIG welded to it (both 316 stainless). Picture 3 show what has been done. "D" shackle has a slotted screw so nothing protudes to catch lines etc. I cut the 25mm ring with a hacksaw to give right angles with the "D" shackle which would stainless TIG weld nice and strong. Both the "D" shackle and the ring breaking loads are over 1,000 kg and the welding is plenty strong enough.

4. Cabrinha leash connector with the shoulders ground off and polished so that it swivels nicely. Connector rope is Brummel spliced at both ends with the lower end being about 3" long so that it can easily be detached from the ring on the bar. Both free ends of the connector rope are tapered then after splicing inside are stitched using no.4 whipping twine (from Marlow Ropes), and the original Cabrinha rubber tube covers this.

5. The ring the connector rope is looped over is a North suicide ring for the 2010-2015 Trust bar. This is used because there is a small welded ring on it for the safety to run through keeping it away from other lines.

6. The safety is a short ozone leash attached to the bar (NOT to the spreader rope!) with the short webbing with a "D" ring strap which comes with the Cabrinha safety leash. The Ozone safety has had both the metal ring and shackle cut off using a hacksaw then the top line has been looped through the lower line. If you look at an Ozone pic you will see what I've done.

7. The trim rope is 5mm dyneema as above. The small black stopper above the bar is secured with a grub screw onto a short plastic sleeve over the rope - it is there to prevent metal to metal contact and also to ensure a nice clear run for the safety (the hole in the bar is much wider than the plastic stopper ball).

8. Next is a North sliding stopper so that bar throw can be limited.

9. The trim block is the one which comes standard with the Slingshor Sentinel bar.

10. The magnetic trim handle is from Ozone which I use because it has two magnets in both sides whereas the Slingshot one only has one.

11. The red ball is a Ronstan parrel ball which is just the right size and because it's red is easier to see than the stock black ball.

12. The swivel is the stock Slingshot swivel which because the bar is connected so much lower I can reach up and turn by hand (hence no untwist mechanism below the bar is required).

I could do without the trim adjuster and use pure bar throw but I'm lazy and like the comfort of setting up just the way I like it for the prevailing conditions. Don't need bar floats either because everything will float fine with them but they are there and I'm lazy.

I have tried remove as much hardware as possible (OK, I have a trim block and swivel) and reduce complexity so that less can go wrong.

Now please share what you have! Thanks.

kitexpert
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: FS

Re: Show us your Custom/Hybrid/Home made kite connector!

Postby kitexpert » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:02 pm

Good post. Quite well thought and done system :thumb:

Some suggestions/questions/critique:

I think minimum distance from bar to harness could be shorter. To get it short is for me main motivation to get rid of hook and chkloop. So:

1. Could this part "6mm "D" shackle with a 6m x 25mm ring" be shorter? Alternative for stainless steel might be acetal part (same very strong plastic which is used in bars and pulley blocks, it has also very low friction). Perhaps a kind of fixed eye which would slide on Dynabar rope would do and be quite easily made, and shorter. Then wheel also wouldn't be necessary. But some low room splicing work should be done, perhaps resulting not any shorter part...

2.Same for this "Connector rope is Brummel spliced at both ends with the lower end being about 3" long", shorter? I think quick fix to make yours shorter is to do double or triple larkshead knot around North suicide ring. Or is it possible to do multiplied knot here, I don't see the order you have installed the parts together.

3. "5mm Marlow Ropes D12 pre-stretched dyneema rope" This must be very strong, because pulling relatively straight line from the middle perpendicularly outwards causes very high stress to that line. Also the line attachment points must be very strong. Under load this line gives up and again min. distance bar-harness is increased.

I know better and constructionally sounder method to do sliding hook, but it would require some work to construct different spreader bar, and sliding part too. And is that sliding hook so much better than fixed rope in the middle of the spreader bar, is it worth it?

iriejohn
Medium Poster

Postby iriejohn » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:25 pm

Thanks for the post.

Interestingly the way to minimize the length from the bar to the harness is straight forward - simply connect the trim line directly to the quick release.

And as you say, if a sliding system is not required then the quick release could be connected to a ring welded directly on the spreader bar.

Combine these two and I'd say that would be optimal. But my poor back and ribs would not take the latter. :-(

Breaking load for Marlow D12 5mm dyneema is about 2,300 kg

[edit] The QR can be disconnected from the suicide ring by unlooping the rope over the top of the QR.

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:11 pm

Read the "Chickenloop Bye Bye" thread. It's on the front page and has 40+ pages of home made setups.

iriejohn
Medium Poster

Postby iriejohn » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:00 am

Bushflyr wrote:Read the "Chickenloop Bye Bye" thread. It's on the front page and has 40+ pages of home made setups.

Have read it thanks. I don't think that shackles, hooks, mangled chicken loop QR's etc. is the way forward. I'd like to connect the trim line directly to the QR in my pics because that would remove another layer of complexity, but I can't now do that because I can't see a 100% reliable way of then handling the safety line.

topmick
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: double island point, caloundra, noosa, maroochydore
Style: surf
Gear: Switch EV4 7m
Switch EV5 10m
Sunova Vader 5'3

Postby topmick » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:28 pm

Great effort but the bar is still too far away for my liking.

The reason most kiters are looking to loose the CL is to bring the bar closer.

iriejohn
Medium Poster

Postby iriejohn » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:48 pm

topmick wrote:Great effort but the bar is still too far away for my liking.

The reason most kiters are looking to loose the CL is to bring the bar closer.

And too far away for my liking, but the question is how to bring it significantly closer?

Of course, if a rope plus wheeled slider wasn't used then that would bring the bar about 3" (75mm) closer. And I think I can take 1" out of the QR rope which attaches to the suicide ring.

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:04 pm

Look at my setup on the other thread, maybe page 40 or so? It's actually almost too close. I lose leverage to pull the bar in with about 3" of throw left.

iriejohn
Medium Poster

Postby iriejohn » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:26 am

Bushflyr wrote:Look at my setup on the other thread, maybe page 40 or so? It's actually almost too close. I lose leverage to pull the bar in with about 3" of throw left.

I see your post "Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:30 am", thanks. I don't want to use an Antal ring (or similar) because of sand on the beach and in the water.

The reason the QR is looped onto the suicide ring is so that it can be quickly removed and put onto another bar (ditto the Ozone safety release), and I don't really want to lose that flexibility.

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:45 pm

FWIW sand on the Antal ring is a total non-issue. I have somewhere between 500 and 1000 hours on mine all launching at sandy beaches and throwing it in the sand to lay out and there's zero appreciable wear on either the ring or the slider rope. I've actually heard about more issues with the pulleys than with Antal rings. They're REALLY good.

Return to “Kitesurfing”