Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Allround
Gear: Ozone Enduro, Nobile NHP Split, Firewire Evo
Brand Affiliation: None

Ozone Hyperlink vs. Airush Ultra

Postby martino86 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:24 pm

Hi guys

I'm a Firewire Evo and Twintip rider and looking for a lightwind kite. Can anyone compare Hyperlink 12 and Airush Ultra 12 in terms of lowend, turning speed, bar pressure, suitability for light riders and relaunch? Tested a Hyperlink, nice lowend, windrange, boost and relaunch is good for a foil. Not sure though as I'd actually prefer a faster kite with my Evo and I like the Evo in light winds. Can a 12m Ultra meet the Lowend of the Hyperlink? I think the Hyperlink 12 has the range of a 3-strut 12 and 15 Tube. I once tried a Cloud but at 62kg it was just dragging me downwind as it sits too deep in the window. Is the Ultra any different?

If anyone can compare with the Breeze, tha would be fine too.

rogue_kiteboarder
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Crazy Fly Raptor LTD, Pivot, Lithium, Neo, Reo, Enduro, C1

Re: Ozone Hyperlink vs. Airush Ultra

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:31 pm

Ultra has very light bar pressure in comparison to the Hyperlink. The Hyperlink has way more low end than the Ultra. The Ultra turns faster and has a "light" feel in the air. Ultra is easy to relaunch. Hyperlink is the easiest foil kite to relaunch that I have ever flown, still not as easy as an inflatable, but easy enough. Ultra drifts or hangs in the air really well for an inflatable kite. The Hyperlink does this well also.

To answer you last question, No, the Ultra will not match the Hyperlink in low end performance.

martino86
Medium Poster

Postby martino86 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:18 pm

Thank you, that helps. How would you compare the Flite 14.5 or Juice 15 to the Hyperlink 12? Are they faster with probably the same lowend?

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Ozones and Flysurfers

Postby jakemoore » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:30 pm

I flew a demo Ultra 9m back to back with my Flysurfer Speed4 Lotus 10m a few months ago. Was riding in light onshore wind with sloppy winds well and a thruster surfboard. This month I decided to purchase an Ultra and the local shop had no stock with no anticipated future date. I ended up leaving with a 9m Hyperlink. I can compare but a bit of separation in time.

I was super impressed with the Ultra. It turns much faster size per size than the foil kites and is fun to fly. Its very light and stays in the air well. Drifting is very good even riding into the kite in light winds but a foil kite is better due to lower weight and better weight distribution. While riding on a wave with near zero apparent wind I had the Ultra sink down like a backstall into the water in spite of bar sheeted way out. The foil kite would stay in the air under similar conditions. I was very impressed with the deep water relaunch with waves pushing me into the lines.

Hyperlink 9 turns similar in speed to the 8m Flysurfer Lotus but also much slower than the 9m Ultra. It has better low end than the 10m Lotus. But like the Lotus, it generates power like a foil kite by sheeting out and flying fast through the air. Drift is very good but its not as forgiving as the Lotus. It is possible to fly the hyperlink out of the wind window, resulting in front stall. I like the forward flying but when Ozone says its not a wave or beginner kite they are referring to the fact it will fly far forward. Also wing tip tucks recovery is not as automatic and easy as Flysurfer Lotus and obviously a non-issue on Ultra. My relaunch rate is 100% on the Hyperlink but like any foil kite is possible it could get swampped under a wave.

Main difference is how they make power. In certain conditions, the Ultra is going to have better upwind and better low end. Its more of a sheet-and-go kite and generates power at low speed. This is helpful riding upwind strapless in waves. If you can ride fast e.g. a hydrofoil or a flat board on flat water, the foil kite will definitely have better low end.

martino86
Medium Poster

Postby martino86 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:26 pm

What do you think about Hyperlink 12 vs Flite in 14.5 or 12? Has someone tested both?

borist
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby borist » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:24 pm

I have 2016 Flite 12 and HL 12. Flite turns much faster of course. HL has much better low end. I only used both kites with HF so can't comment on performance with other boards, but I doubt it is much different. Relaunch is a mixed bag. Generally HL is easier to relaunch for me if the wind is very light as long as it didn't tangle much. If wind is better I don't drop HL but I'd imagine Flite might get slight upper hand. However this will depend on water/wind conditions and your skills.
I bought Flite first, but it did not have low end that I was looking for and it needs long lines to get more out of it than what my 9m delivers (with HF). So I bought HL. If HL was available sooner, I'd never bought Flite.

kitexpert
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:40 pm

Ultras turn very fast, many kite sizes faster than foil kites. In my opinion it has nearly perfect bar feel, it is very precise but still has light pressure. Ultra gives nice power when dived or looped making starts easy. After getting started there is constant smooth pull letting you concentrate balancing on your foil, it is a kite you can fly by feel.

martino86
Medium Poster

Postby martino86 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:51 am

Do you guys think the Flite in 14.5 will turn faster than the Hyperlink in 12 while having about the same lowend?

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Ozones and Flysurfers

Postby jakemoore » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:04 pm

Regarding 14.5 Flite or a larger Ultra compared to 12 hyperlink:

Yes to turn faster.

No to have better low end power. The one caveat is if you are driving slow upwind in waves that push you downwind and kill kite power in medium light winds e.g. on a surf board strapless then maybe same power. If you have an efficient board or foil no way.

Definitely no to stay in the air as well or even relaunch in low wind e.g. for hydrofoiling light winds.

Yes if you need a life raft in a complete wind drop out.

Return to “Kitesurfing”