Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: SYDVESTPYNTEN
Favorite Beaches: Strandparken
Style: TT
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None

20 meter lines VS 23 meter

Postby Kehler » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:36 pm

what are the consequences of using 20 meter lines instead of 23 meters?
Right now I am using 20 meter lines on mine RPM

Da Yoda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless freestyle, Surf, Freeride
Gear: North, Tomo/Firewire, Loyd, Exile, Ion, WMFG

Re: 20 meter lines VS 23 meter

Postby Da Yoda » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:52 pm

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 10
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:29 am

Nice video, I watched half ,I like his reviews, but I somewhat disagree with small kites on longer lines, big kites on shorter. Smaller kites require less wind window to turn so can use shorter lines than larger kites. I used 12m lines on a 6m kite for a long time, it worked very well. You could use longer lines on smaller kites to slow it down and shorter lines on bigger kites to speed them up, but capabilities are the opposite and the actually turn rates will stay much the same no matter the line length.

Shortening lines equals less drag, smaller window, less line sponge so more direct. A 3 meter difference is not huge but noticeable. Best just try and see for yourself. Going too short means you can't turn the kite or fly it straight long enough to get good power, or reach a stronger wind gradient. Too long and the kite takes forever to fly anywhere in the window and always pulls downwind. There can be big advantages for using longer lines where strong wind gradients are present like inland and disadvantages like having the space to use them. The drag from longer lines can make kites drift better and more stable with line slack, but shorter lines will over fly less and recover quicker as the window is smaller. Longer lines will also open kites up more giving them more projected area.

We have been discussing line lengths a bit here.

http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2392081

kas911
Frequent Poster

Postby kas911 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:33 am

If you are freeriding you should really try 23!! I only like 20 for powered waveriding

mattenzuchtig
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Holland Brouwersdam
Style: freeride wave
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17, Ozone catalyst 12 & 8
Nobile 134x42 Naishd strapped surf 6'1

Postby mattenzuchtig » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:49 am

I use 20m lines on my 9/7/5m kites....more direct, windrange goes up a bit, in the low end you do not loose so much as the kites fly a bit faster, so you work them a bit more..but overall I do like the shorter lines on the smaller sizes
In really light wind flying my 13m...I like the longer lines, but if I put this kite on the 20m lines bar...it turns so much better as less lineslack, still a 13m is not the best kite to compare with teh smaller sizes, but again put the 13 on the longer lines, you win some more light wind speed.

Kehler
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: SYDVESTPYNTEN
Favorite Beaches: Strandparken
Style: TT
Gear: Slingshot

Postby Kehler » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:51 pm

Thanks
I only ride freestyle, I used to have naish with 23 meter lines, and now slingshot with 20 meter on the 17" bar.

Faxie
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Scheveningen, Domburg, Rilland, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Binnenschelde, Vrouwenpolder, Oostvoorne, Rockanje, Grevelingen, Borssele.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Switch Helium V1 18
Switch Element V3 13-9-7
Switch MJComp V2 136x41.5
Firewire Hellrazor 6.1 timbertek
Shinn Shinnster
Nobile 555 125x38

Postby Faxie » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:01 pm

foilholio wrote:Nice video, I watched half ,I like his reviews, but I somewhat disagree with small kites on longer lines, big kites on shorter. Smaller kites require less wind window to turn so can use shorter lines than larger kites. I used 12m lines on a 6m kite for a long time, it worked very well. You could use longer lines on smaller kites to slow it down and shorter lines on bigger kites to speed them up, but capabilities are the opposite and the actually turn rates will stay much the same no matter the line length.

Shortening lines equals less drag, smaller window, less line sponge so more direct. A 3 meter difference is not huge but noticeable. Best just try and see for yourself. Going too short means you can't turn the kite or fly it straight long enough to get good power, or reach a stronger wind gradient. Too long and the kite takes forever to fly anywhere in the window and always pulls downwind. There can be big advantages for using longer lines where strong wind gradients are present like inland and disadvantages like having the space to use them. The drag from longer lines can make kites drift better and more stable with line slack, but shorter lines will over fly less and recover quicker as the window is smaller. Longer lines will also open kites up more giving them more projected area.

We have been discussing line lengths a bit here.

http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2392081

Well.... nothing to add here :thumb:

bigtone667
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Umina Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Hams Beach
Style: surf, lawn mowing
Gear: BRM Cloud, Slingshot SST, BWS, Ozone chrono

Slingshot boards, North Boards, BRM Paipo, Firewire

Postby bigtone667 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:05 am

On my 14/17m kite in waves I use 20m lines, I want to be able to turn kite faster.

On my 14/17m kite on flat water and foiling, I am happy to use 23 to 27m lines for extra time I spend diving the kite through the power window.

The shorter lines definitely increased the fun I had the waves.

Return to “Kitesurfing”