Slingshot 5-8 Celeritas
Slingshot Space pickle
Slingshot Rally 8&10
Core XR3 12m
Core XR2 Lw 17m
Brand Affiliation: None

North mono 12 - anyone try it?

Postby TomW » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:54 pm

I bought a North mono 7 and used it 2 times in powered and light conditions ( around 20 knots). Really liked it. I can get a 12 mono 50% discount.
Wondering if anyone tried it, what's it like? Bar pressure, range?
Will use it only on surfboard and foil once I get going on the foil. I'm 77 kg now.

nothing2seehere
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Gear: Kitesurfing and windsurfing

Re: North mono 12 - anyone try it?

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:26 am

I have the 12 mono and I'm a similar weight.

I have used it with my shinnster a bit. Wind range is pretty decent. Compared to my friends Neo (2014 12m) it feels a little more punchy at the bottom end and noticeably less refined at the top end. I'd say bar pressure is medium to low - less than a Rebel - but with reasonable bar feedback.
Its a 12m so its on the slow side of things but it does steer very well when depowered and drifts well. I get maybe 12knots on the low end and for my skill level I tend to find 20 knots top end on my shinnster. It depowers well but does flap quite a bit as the wind picks up. It doesn't seem to have the apparent wind boost that the other kites in the North range have but that's not a drawback for surfing and foiling so much.

I have been using mine to learn to foil. Its good for the first couple of sessions when you want to be more powered but I suspect the more you get into it the less use you will make of it on the foil. I'm normally half trimmed at 15knots on the foil (learning so only shortish glides at present rather than sustained flight). Been using a smaller kite more as I'm getting more experience. Not experienced enough to comment on the real low end. I'm still at the level of needing to wait for 12knots plus.

ciscokitesurfer
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 3
Local Beach: altona
Favorite Beaches: pacasmayo
Style: wave, cruise
Gear: NRG 2014, Ride , REO,

Postby ciscokitesurfer » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:25 pm

Hi,

for %50 discount I will buy one. I demo it a few weeks ago. I compared it with with my 12 2015 Neo. Power is the same but the Mono is light. It will help to keep the kite on the air when the wind drops. What nothing2seeherre said is correct. Enjoy it is a good kite.

Faxie
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Scheveningen, Domburg, Rilland, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Binnenschelde, Vrouwenpolder, Oostvoorne, Rockanje, Grevelingen, Borssele.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Switch Helium V1 18m
Switch Element V3 13m-7m V4 9m-5m
SS Fuel 2005
Switch MJComp V2 136x41.5
Firewire Hellrazor 6.1 timbertek
Shinn Shinnster
Nobile 555 125x38
Brand Affiliation: None (well, got my preferences, but arent' getting any money :( )

Postby Faxie » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:39 pm

Demoed a 9m in LW once... reminded me a bit of the oldskool stuntkites with the sound it made when turning...

stefarius
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: ijsselmeer
Style: freeride, wave, foil
Gear: all kind

Postby stefarius » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:40 am

We tried with our team the Mono in different kite sizes and boards.
Loved the Mono in light winds on the hydrofoil. Great low end Stability & Relaunch. Check our reviews: http://www.kitefinder.com/en/kites/1550 ... er-reviews

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand
Gear: Homemade 4-8 compact
Slingshot 5-8 Celeritas
Slingshot Space pickle
Slingshot Rally 8&10
Core XR3 12m
Core XR2 Lw 17m

Postby TomW » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:01 pm

I went ahead and bought it cause I thought it was a good deal and only one left in Stock. Reviews say like what I am looking for. 7 worked for me when my 2010 RRD Obsession 9 was powered but in bottom 50% of its range.
It sounds like I'll be set for 10 knots to 30 knots on 12 and 7 with foil and surfboard.
Once I learn to foil I'll have to convert my surfboard to a combo foil / surfboard to have light travel and less stuff.
I'm getting old and doing less and less TT because I end up doing kiteloops and pounding my body.

Return to “Kitesurfing”