josesr
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Sint joris bay
Favorite Beaches: Le Galion, Sint Maarten
Boca Grandi, Aruba
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby josesr » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:12 am

Last year, I went in aug/sept and I noticed that in Celestun, you have a very good thermal wind.
The gulf side is better to kite than the caribbean side (Tulum/Playa del Carmen).

There is also a kiteschool in Progresso where you can rent some kites if you did not bring the right one. Just google Progreso and Kitesurfing and you will find the name of the school center

Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: All Mexico: Laguna de Tecocomulco, Hidalgo. Acapulco, Guerrero. Boca del Rio, Veracruz.
Favorite Beaches: Progreso, Yucatan. El Revolcadero, Acapulco, Guerrero. La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Ilho do Guajiru, Ceara, Brazil.
Style: Big Air and waves and freestyle.
Gear: Ozone Kites: Reo V3 8m, Edge V9 8m, C4 2015 10m, Edge V9 13m, Chrono V3 15m, Ozone Zephyr V5 17m. Core XR5 10m.
Boards: Fone Acid 132 2016, ASP NZ Stealth Custom 135, Axis Limited 140 2018, Axis Ultra 144 2015,Axis New Wave 5'8" Surf, Fone Mitu 5'4 2017 Surf, Camet Custom 139 Foilboard and Alpine Foil Access V3 Foil, Naish Alaia Strapless
Brand Affiliation: I sell Ozone,Core,Slingshot,Naish,F-ONE,Crazy Fly,Axis,Mystic,Manera,Pro-Limit & Dakine.

Postby Andres_Santacruz » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:18 am

Interesting story about Progreso..I thought Los Barriles/ LaVentenna in Baja is the windiest place in Mexico. Have you been kiting there ? Expensive to live in Progreso ? Safe to live in campground ? Require to wear wetsuit during Nov- Feb ?
Hey,
The conditions are super different between la Ventana and Progreso. La ventana gets good wind from around late october to early April.
Progreso has good wind mostly year round, with July-August being the less windy months (You can still kite with big kites a lot of the time).
Progreso is sandy, no waves just chop, and get's very constant strong tradewinds out of the Northeast. La ventana get's north winds, which can be very gusty, and is much colder.
You will only need a shorty in Progreso during some cold fronts in the colder months, December-February. But just if you are a chicken, i have been kiting in boardies when locals have been wearing full suits! It depends how much cold you can take, but i can tell you LA, CA is much colder during summer than Progreso ever is. Merida gets very hot, so locals are not used to 15 degrees centigrade weather, that is cold for them. Summer is the rainy season, so you get less wind time many days before the clouds get charged and race offshore, locals call them turbonadas. But you can still ride.
Most locals don't have kites bigger than 12meters, and wait for the wind to get to 15-16 knots before even pumping their kites.
It is an awesome place that has never disappointed me, i have ridden there during September, December, February, March, April, May and June, and talk to my local friends very often. Some days when the strong southeasters are coming from Playa del Carmen/Belize, you will get side off winds, when they are very strong the trade winds will be strong enough to break them away.

As everywhere else, the weather has changed a bit, and there are times when there is no wind there for a few weeks. If you want sure wind, sunshine and warm air/water, Progreso will not dissapoint you from February-May.

BJkitesurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby BJkitesurf » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:46 pm

Andres_Santacruz wrote:
Interesting story about Progreso..I thought Los Barriles/ LaVentenna in Baja is the windiest place in Mexico. Have you been kiting there ? Expensive to live in Progreso ? Safe to live in campground ? Require to wear wetsuit during Nov- Feb ?
Hey,
The conditions are super different between la Ventana and Progreso. La ventana gets good wind from around late october to early April.
Progreso has good wind mostly year round, with July-August being the less windy months (You can still kite with big kites a lot of the time).
Progreso is sandy, no waves just chop, and get's very constant strong tradewinds out of the Northeast. La ventana get's north winds, which can be very gusty, and is much colder.
You will only need a shorty in Progreso during some cold fronts in the colder months, December-February. But just if you are a chicken, i have been kiting in boardies when locals have been wearing full suits! It depends how much cold you can take, but i can tell you LA, CA is much colder during summer than Progreso ever is. Merida gets very hot, so locals are not used to 15 degrees centigrade weather, that is cold for them. Summer is the rainy season, so you get less wind time many days before the clouds get charged and race offshore, locals call them turbonadas. But you can still ride.
Most locals don't have kites bigger than 12meters, and wait for the wind to get to 15-16 knots before even pumping their kites.
It is an awesome place that has never disappointed me, i have ridden there during September, December, February, March, April, May and June, and talk to my local friends very often. Some days when the strong southeasters are coming from Playa del Carmen/Belize, you will get side off winds, when they are very strong the trade winds will be strong enough to break them away.

As everywhere else, the weather has changed a bit, and there are times when there is no wind there for a few weeks. If you want sure wind, sunshine and warm air/water, Progreso will not dissapoint you from February-May.
are there 15-25 knots days from November to February ? How many days per month during winter time that u know ? What size of kite ? Where are some wave/ swells in Mexico and also Belize ?

slightlyimperfect
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Slave Lake
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Rise

Postby slightlyimperfect » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:49 am

dude, that was pretty much all just answered...
its pretty much always windy in those months, and most guys dont use anything bigger than 12s.

don_bernardo
Rare Poster

Postby don_bernardo » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:34 pm

hy,

i will be in yucatan dez-jan....can you request some places for accomodation there? is kiteboarding allowed there everywhere?

thx
bernardo

slightlyimperfect
Medium Poster

Postby slightlyimperfect » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:48 pm

for accomodation there are a few hotels just off the water in the town. They seemed reasonably priced 2 years ago, for a typical Mexican hotel.

Its not something you really have to worry about tho. When you get there, you will find something.

But it you want to stay in the city 40 min away you will have lots of options. Merida is a very beautiful colonial city that prides itself in its safe atmosphere.

blowhard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby blowhard » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:11 pm

MERIDA
It' a real fun place
nice and friendly
one of the best Mexican cities
very upscale

don_bernardo
Rare Poster

Postby don_bernardo » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:25 pm

thx for the infos...

i want to check the hotels in autumn, because i looked for a few places and especial during christmas to 6.jan there aure many cabanas full booked right no (at least the cheaper ones :wink:

slightlyimperfect
Medium Poster

Postby slightlyimperfect » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:00 am

most places that allow booking online will be booked and cost you more...
just go there, walk down the streets of centro by the zocalo and you will find something nice and cheap.

kitergirlamy
Rare Poster
Local Beach: hatteras
Favorite Beaches: hatteras, la ventana
Style: freestyle
Gear: cabrinha, naish, airush

Re: Progreso Yucatan Mexico, wind season?

Postby kitergirlamy » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:14 pm

hey looking at going to Progreso in Feb but can't find any good wind data.... everyone is talking great wind but windguru (yeah I know it can be wrong) says 65% at 13 knots for average??? What's a better site or is this right???

Return to “Kitesurfing”