Nobile Skimboard vs. Spleene Door

Forum for kitesurfers
maui7301
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Nobile Skimboard vs. Spleene Door

Postby maui7301 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:32 am

How does the Nobile Skimboard (130x50.5) compare to the Spleene Door (164x45) for very light wind? Does the skimboard start planning as early as the door? I am 92 kilos and I would like to buy something in order to have some fun in very light winds instead of sitting on the beach.

thanks!

maui

HelldogBE
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby HelldogBE » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:26 am

I have the nobile skimboard, I don't think its as efficient as a Door-style board because u need to ride it slower to be in control (my spot is always small waves and heavy chop in light wind) that way u can't use the apparant wind from the kite that much and need to rely more on the grunt of the kite and moving the kite a lot if u need to slow down or speed up to get over obstacles and waves.

However in this light wind even with a door u won't be able to jump higher than a meter or so, so basically u can only do some simple rotations and so on. In that aspect riding the strapless skimboard is a big challenge, controlling the board with your stance, jybing and so on are fun things to do and they can be pleasant in a different way than riding a twintip. Also for the smaller waves this board has a lot of glide to waveride with (aswell as the directional outline wich is great offcourse).

However because it lets u ride this slow u shoot upwind with it, even in higher wind conditions I sometimes grab this board because the current at our spot is too strong for anyone on a twintip to do anything but cruising.

so it depends on what kind of riding u expect in this low wind, simple cruising on a twintip or the more technical aspect of a directional strapless surfskim :) see if u can try one at the beach.

same as in the other thread, if u want some detailed pictures of the board just send a pm :wink:

just do it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush Varial-X, Airush Apex
Brand Affiliation: Airush

Postby just do it » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:45 am

The big Door will definitely get going a bit earlier and also absolutey fly upwind.
The biggest advantage of the Door is that it is super easy to ride which is something that can't be said of a skimboard.
I think skimboards are a bit of fun and a bit of a fashion thing at the moment.
Shinny has done a good job of selling them but after a few uses you'll soon get bored and find that they work best when your shortboard works too. If you have unlimited riding time on your hands then you'd probably don't mind wasting a bit by learning the skimthing.
If you want a challange go for the Skim if you want to cruise in extremely light winds in a relaxed fashion and go upwind like mad then get the Door.

maui7301
Medium Poster

Postby maui7301 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:52 am

helldog and "nike man" :wink: , thanks for your convincing posts. I will have the opportunity to try a skimboard in december. I will postpone my decision until then.

ayrej2
Rare Poster

Postby ayrej2 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:14 pm

just do it wrote: ... Shinny has done a good job of selling them but after a few uses you'll soon get bored...
I picked up a 2nd hand Victoria Skimboard (not a kite skim - no fins or straps) and have got to say I love it.

I'm 90kg, and still need a good 14knotts with my 14m before I can really cruise upwind, but after my first session I was grinning so hard it was like the first time I tried to jump. And I still love it now. If the tide's right (cos it's not that much fun in chop), anthing less than 18knotts and the skim is first choice

That thing's so slidy it's a real challenge, and learning to gybe it it hillarious. I'd say get the skim, it adds a whole different dimension to your kiting..

Ed

brny
Rare Poster

skim

Postby brny » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:26 pm

Bra, check the video the new old school II on this site and see for your self, I don't think you can call a nobile board a skimboard, because it has fins! thats a kiteboard! Skims with fins, thats gay!, especially with straps! How can you slide down the beach with fins! get a real skimboard like a Cabal, or a Victoria. And watch the original skim kite video, it shows mark shinn up, tricks that he still can't do That Joey and Bryan have been doing from over three years ago. Shoots ride more and Ruin a skimboard by putting fins on it. Riding skim is some of the most fun you will ever have on a kite, stoked :thumb:

Sean-CA
Medium Poster

Postby Sean-CA » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:10 am

Would it not be better to compare the Door to the Nobile EXT boards for light wind performance?

The Skim is a completely different story as said earlier.

The Door and the EXT are similiar boards and I recon they start just as early with the difference that the EXT is working good in more powered up conditiona where the Door just gets to big.

The Skim is fun though, good balance practise and I recon it improves kite control as well. To jump on it in extreme light winds and try new stuff on the skim, any skim, is much more fun for me than using the Door and just cruise.

Thanx,

Sean

the_lone_wolf
Very Frequent Poster

Postby the_lone_wolf » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:22 am

i've used a flydoor and a skimboard, the skim will get you going in much less wind and if you're a decent rider is much much more fun, in light winds it goes upwind better than the door and is definately more fun to ride if there's any waves, the large door like twins can't carve for toffee

basically if you need footstraps forget it, it'll take some skill to get used to the skim, but once you do there's a whole new world of ways to play in light winds that is way more fun than cruising back and forth unable to do anything with a gigantic twin tip :bye:

just do it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush Varial-X, Airush Apex
Brand Affiliation: Airush

Postby just do it » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:56 pm

the_lone_wolf wrote:i've used a flydoor and a skimboard, the skim will get you going in much less wind and if you're a decent rider is much much more fun, in light winds it goes upwind better than the door and is definately more fun to ride if there's any waves, the large door like twins can't carve for toffee

basically if you need footstraps forget it, it'll take some skill to get used to the skim, but once you do there's a whole new world of ways to play in light winds that is way more fun than cruising back and forth unable to do anything with a gigantic twin tip :bye:
How big is your skim?
I yet haven't seen a skim that gets going earlier than a 164 Door or goes upwind better. I know you used the old Flydoor wich doesn't get going as early as the 164 Spleene door but still.

M Shinn
Medium Poster

Postby M Shinn » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:38 am

BRNY,
That is a pretty lame post.
You don't ride with me so you don't know what tricks I can or can not do.
Please keep your uninformed opinions to yourself. I don't doubt that the boys are immeasurably better than I on the skimboard but contary to popular belief even pro riders have feelings and quite frankly you've upset mine.
Why is it people find it acceptable to write something on a forum that they would not say to your face? I find that rude.
Regarding the board....... the Nobile skim board is a KITE SPECIFIC skim board. It is designed to make it easier to ride than a normal skim. If you don't like it don't buy one or unscrew the fins but to call it gay? Come on, we are a bit past the school play ground name calling surely?
We also make a range of 555 boards that are designed to make riding as easy as possible, does that clasify them as "gay" too?

Return to “Kitesurfing”