Forum for kitesurfers
tukyank
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ocean Rodeo Rise 10m review

Postby tukyank » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:41 pm

GhostDog wrote:
tukyank wrote:Based on this thread - it's hard to tell if the 12M has any better low end than the 10M.
Given that the 2008 Rises are built so strong and tough, I find it very hard to believe they can have such low end when they weigh more than most other kites. I'm willing to be proven wrong - but will only listen to someone of the same weight as me. I don't want to hear from a 150lb'er about how they can rip it up in 10kts on a 7M. That kind of weight loss is just not gonna happen for me.
Hey Tukyank, I kite in SC with McKite who answered your post above. I'm 188 lbs, 6 feet. I was a hard core C-Kite guy for years until I saw McKite steaming along upwind at a 20 degree better tack than me in light winds. Man that turned my head in a hurry. I was walking back up wind battling my 16 meter Fuel or Vegas and McKite was steaming upwind on a 10 meter Rise. I borrowed it a few times and now I own a full quiver of 2008 OR Rises, 08, 10, 12 and I borrow the 14 from McKite once in a while.

Actually I have not borrowed the 14 for a while because I finally decided that kiting in less than 15 knots of wind just sucks not matter what kite you have. I could take the OR Rise 14 or 12 out in 12=14 knots but it is just plain BORING.

That said, if you are into like downwinders or just gliding back and forth and losing a little ground the 12 OR rise will get you going (without current involved) in probably 12-13 knots on a 135x40 flexi/nobile 555 type board.

There are not kites made that make kiting fun in 13 knots. I'm sorry, I always here about people staying upwind in 10 knots, either a ton of current involved or they weigh 140 lbs. I like to ride fast and jump high and try tricks so for me just because I can RIDE doesn't mean it is fun. So my advice is to concentrate on the kites that are the best from 15 plus and not worry about 13 knot days.

The wind here is basically 15-22 about 50 percent of the time and then we get some nice 20-25 days sometimes. Less often we get 25-35. But in general the range I am targeting is 15-30 with 18-22 being kind of our sweet spot. I am almost getting to the point where I feel like I don't even need the 12 anymore, the 10 is frigging amazing, the range on it is like 20 knots, from 14 to 35. Here is how I feel about the range and sweetspots of the kites.

14: For light winds, say 13 - 17 it is a fun floaty jumper, almost hang glider like. If the wind picks up you can hang onto it up over 20 (although that would be insane!) Really not necessary for me, glad I didn't buy one.

12: If it is going to stay in the 15-18 range I most likely take this one out just so I can get longer hang time on the jumps.

10: If it is 17-23 range I'm taking this out. The perfect 10! These are the sweetest sessions I have ever had.

8: I have had it out from 17 to 35, sweet spot probably 24-30. Another amazing kite, If I wasn't lazy about pumping up kites I might try it in 18-20 conditions some day and see how it is. I'm guessing that it would be pretty good.

My feeling is for a 3 kite quiver get the 8,10,12
For a 2 kite quiver, 10 and 12
For a 1 kite quiver.... tough call, either the 10 or the 12 depending on how much power you are looking for. I you like flying the kite a lot and riding downwinders get the 10, if you like powered jumps and working on tricks go with the 12.

Above depends on how you like to ride, if you like a bit slower moving kite and like to ride fast and just take big floaty jumps but are not trying a lot of wake style stuff then you might go up a size on all above (so go with the 10,12,14)

Sweet kites though, I have had Wipika, Naish, Slingshot and North kites and these kites are by far the best all around, get you out, get you jumping, get you going upwind like crazy kites I have tried.

I was commenting the other day about the upwind sailing on these things. It is almost astonishing at times. I have had times where I am tacking out with someone else, they turn first, and then I turn and basically just pass BEHIND them going upwind like 10 or 15 degrees better than them. The first time I took one out it took me like 3 tacks to do what used to take me 10.

Well built too, although I have not noticed that they are necessarily heavier than other kites, just seem to be better designed than other kites and the company has really good customer service.

Great input Ghost dog - Thank you.
I spoke to one of the Ocean Rodeo guys and they advised that the model I have (first batch of Venturi's) had required a slight bridal adjustment, so that may be why I'm not getting the low end everyone is raving about.

We're cursed with light wind up here (Ontario) so the 20+ kt days are few and far between. For what its worth, I too once thought sub 15kts was a waste of time - until I got my Flysurfer Speed 2 Silver Arrow. You can be doing big jumps and kite loops in 8 - 10 kts. Yes the jumps are floaty and things seem like they are in slow motion compared to a 10M SLE - but still fun (IMO). If you get a chance - try one out.....but then again, if you get good wind all the time, why bother....

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:19 pm

Indeed, early model 08 Rise kites had the E2 line lengthen as its knots were put under load. This seemed to make the kite's performance drop off a bit but is easily fixed.

Please click here to see a detailed posting on what to check and how to fix it if you find an issue!

John Z

EvanOR
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: California, US Sales Ocean Rodeo Kiteboarding/Hyperflex Wetsuits

Postby EvanOR » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:08 pm

dcole5 wrote:What location was that ?
We refer to it as the " secret spot ".....my first time there. I was lucky enough to be invited there by others, and I'm not going to be the dude to spill the beans.... :D

Cheers,

Evan

Ocean Rodeo Kiteboarding
Hyperflex Wetsuits

Choose Performance over Hype

dcole5
Medium Poster

Postby dcole5 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:59 pm

I can relate to that. I think I know where it is, so I will keep my mouth shut too.. : )
Cheers

EvanOR
Very Frequent Poster
Location: California, US Sales Ocean Rodeo Kiteboarding/Hyperflex Wetsuits

Postby EvanOR » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:41 pm

Cool, I'll PM you the next time we plan to ride there.

Cheers,

Evan

Ocean Rodeo
Hyperflex Wetsuits

Choose Performance over Hype

GhostDog
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Charleston South Carolina, USA
Favorite Beaches: Station 28, Sullivan's Island South Carolina. Katama Bay and Cape Pogue, Martha's Vineyard.
Style: Freeride, FreeStyle, some wave
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Rise Venturi, 8,10, 12
Underground FLX 135 x 41
OR Mako Wide

2010 Ocean Rodeo Rise 10m review

Postby GhostDog » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:18 am

Last edited by GhostDog on Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sean123
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cross, ireland,achill
Favorite Beaches: Cross,Ireland
Style: newbie style
Gear: or rise 09 10m and 08 6m

Postby sean123 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:15 pm

aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i want one.....

really good review.cant wait to try one :girl: :oops:

Return to “Kitesurfing”