Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The Safety Topic: please post your experience and advice!

Forum with lots of safety info - a must for newbees
matt at jibe's
Rare Poster
Local Beach: mui ne viet nam
Favorite Beaches: mui ne beach; hon rom/ Mack beach, Suoi Nuoc (viet nam)
enshuu beach in Hamamatsu, Japan
Tenryuugawa beach in Hamamatsu, Japan
Manta, Ecuador
Style: snowboard/old school/surfboard
Gear: Airush lithium in smallest sizes, f-one bandit, RRD etc
boards: Xenon!
Brand Affiliation: as chief instructor at Jibe's in Mui Ne, Viet Nam
we carry airush/f-one/prolimit/etc
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: The Safety Topic: please post your experience and advice!

Postby matt at jibe's » Mon May 22, 2017 3:22 am

Getting into the slow season so i had some time to make a video about kite safety practices. Please enjoy and comment.

Last edited by matt at jibe's on Tue May 23, 2017 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Mon May 22, 2017 10:20 am

Hello guys
many accidents occur at launch... just last week someone dies in San Francisco due to a launch gone wrong. In that thread I noted that if the person had launched unhooked he would still be with us today; I was asked to post a video of what I mean by unhooked launch, so there it is. Sorry for the poor video quality, I just hope that it brings the message across and make people aware of this approach to launching.
https://youtu.be/2QD3CzoojYI

matt at jibe's
Rare Poster
Local Beach: mui ne viet nam
Favorite Beaches: mui ne beach; hon rom/ Mack beach, Suoi Nuoc (viet nam)
enshuu beach in Hamamatsu, Japan
Tenryuugawa beach in Hamamatsu, Japan
Manta, Ecuador
Style: snowboard/old school/surfboard
Gear: Airush lithium in smallest sizes, f-one bandit, RRD etc
boards: Xenon!
Brand Affiliation: as chief instructor at Jibe's in Mui Ne, Viet Nam
we carry airush/f-one/prolimit/etc

Postby matt at jibe's » Tue May 23, 2017 2:06 am

Thanks for posting that Sarc. Sorry to hear about the death in San Francisco. You're right, it's good to have discussions about launch procedure.

I'd like to offer some thoughts:

Excellent point about not hooking in till the last moment before launch, see 6:31 in the video above "Assessing for Best Safety Practices". In assisted launches this would be normal procedure. Also when I land my kite, that chicken loop is out of the hook within the first second or two of the kite being caught.

If the kite flies away it's already depowered as it gets ripped out of your hands because you're holding the chicken loop instead of the bar. That's why when we are walking around with the bar we are holding mainly on to the chicken loop (with tension as we move into launch position) while the other hand holds the bar lightly to keep it from rotating or dragging on the beach.

For the self-launch: the thing that makes me uncomfortable about this is that the kite is not under the bar's (kiter's) control at the critical moment the kite leaves the ground and starts to take power. Then the kiter has to focus his attention and both hands on the chicken loop as he hooks in, while the kite may be flying uncontrolled; in unstable winds it can overfly the window or do something else unexpected.

We have taught here that as the kite takes flight, one hand controls the bar and the other hand goes directly to your QR and holds it, ready to pop the release if things go haywire.

Anyway a self-launch should never be done unless there is a huge amount of free space downwind (as in your video), and should not be attempted by beginners. I don't teach self-launch to people who don't have a fair bit of experience already.

Happy riding...

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:43 am

Matt - many thanks for your video, I think it presents many valid concerns and solutions to them.

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:48 am

Thanks for kooking it up with the Helmet.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:30 pm

This pro launches in the way I was describing in my video below. His video is much better, highly recommended! In French but video is self-explaining
https://youtu.be/acLl6BtJRkM
sarc wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 10:20 am
Hello guys
many accidents occur at launch... just last week someone dies in San Francisco due to a launch gone wrong. In that thread I noted that if the person had launched unhooked he would still be with us today; I was asked to post a video of what I mean by unhooked launch, so there it is. Sorry for the poor video quality, I just hope that it brings the message across and make people aware of this approach to launching.
https://youtu.be/2QD3CzoojYI

matt-0 kite
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 85 kg
Local Beach: mui ne, suoi nuoc viet nam, kalpitiya sri lanka
Favorite Beaches: enshuu nada (japan)
Manta Ecuador
Mui Ne, Viet Nam
Suoi Nuoc, Viet Nam
kapaladdy, sri lanka
Style: twintip, mostly. And windsurfing!
Gear: airush, f-one kites
Xenon board
starboard and severne
Brand Affiliation: Instructor at Jibe's Mui Ne
manager at www.sethawadikite.com

Kiting in the surf lineup

Postby matt-0 kite » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:31 am

OK, got a question for all here:

I've been kiting 18 years, always taught my students to try to keep the area downwind as clear as reasonably practical, and try do the same myself: plan things to avoid flying my kite over people's heads, etc.

I love to ride in waves but stay away from where people are playing in the surf if they are going to be within my kite lines. (Plus a bit of extra margin in case I crash, which we all do.)

So I was at the local surf beach the other day, and some kiter guy was snaking in and around the people learning to surf and the people playing in the water. Riding just a few meters upwind of random people, kids etc to get to where he wanted to be on the wave.

Is there any universe where this is considered OK? Any surfers out there, what do you think of this, knowing that if he wipes out or has equipment failure or a lapse of judgement that you stand to get some kite lines across your neck (or worse)?

Thanks... Just curious as he didn't seem to be bothered by it.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby knotwindy » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:21 pm

Totally screwed up, terrible idea to ride around people in the water like that. Especially in waves. Unless the surfers are good friends and maybe kiters as well so they know the risk and what you are likely to do.

Matteo V

Re: Kiting in the surf lineup

Postby Matteo V » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:11 pm

matt-0 kite wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:31 am
So I was at the local surf beach the other day, and some kiter guy was snaking in and around the people learning to surf and the people playing in the water. Riding just a few meters upwind of random people, kids etc to get to where he wanted to be on the wave.

Is there any universe where this is considered OK? Any surfers out there, what do you think of this, knowing that if he wipes out or has equipment failure or a lapse of judgement that you stand to get some kite lines across your neck (or worse)?

Thanks... Just curious as he didn't seem to be bothered by it.
Fuerteventura. I had my absolute opposition to leashes reversed in the thread below. Apparently kiters there have to be in close proximity to swimmers/bathers and surfers so that it makes a leash a requirement. Good to know. If I ever find myself there, I would just surf, though I would not want to surf with a kiter and swimmers on the same crowded break. So that is why I stick to cold water. It is nice to have some freedom and NOT be kiting in a traffic jam where you absolutely no right of way.

http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... h&start=20

I would think that the guy you saw came from a location that had the need to mix kiters with crowds of bathers, swimmers, and surfers. Go talk to them and let them know of a better spot, or the rules against kiting within certain zones. It could save your kite spot.

Sylvain D
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Poolbeg dublin
Gear: Airush
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Sylvain D » Tue May 15, 2018 12:39 am

Hi guys, an other video about Unhooked self launch but not like any other one. I don't recommend self launch on hard ground but if you do it, that the only one I would trust. It is not for beginners of course. Beginners should not do self launch. Here is a link to my site for more safety videos.https://kitesurfingdublin.com/portfolio/. Safe kiting.
Sylvain. [VIDEO][/VIDEO]
Last edited by Sylvain D on Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Safety”