Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The Safety Topic: please post your experience and advice!

forum for kitesurfers

kklaus
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: I will start Kiting next year!
Favorite Beaches: I will start Kiting next year!
Style: I will start Kiting next year!
Gear: I will start Kiting next year!
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: The Safety Topic: please post your experience and advice!

Postby kklaus » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:24 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm Klaus, a student at Deggendorf Institute of Technology in Germany. Together with my fellow student Tom we are currently trying to investigate the topic of safety in kitesurfing.
Tom had a kiting accident last year and broke his leg, which was the occasion for us to investigate the risk of injury in the form of undergraduate research.
Of course we need corresponding data and therefore your help!
You will find under this link https://goo.gl/forms/zybOeMf2LxdwXakb2 a short survey with seven questions on the subject. If you could spend five minutes on the survey, it would be great!

Many Thanks!

Klaus

podiatanapraia
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Barra da Tijuca, Rio de Janeiro
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade 2013 12m
Cabrinha Apollo 2017 14m
North Jaime board 133cm

Postby podiatanapraia » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:08 pm

podiatanapraia wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:45 am
Hi everyone. I have a question, and if it's been answered here before, I apologize (but there's, like, 28 pages of experience to read through in this topic alone).

I was out today with a 14m kite in strong winds. Great for hangitme, but a lot of power to hold. At one point the kite hit the water during a kite loop and went into a strange twist and I was forced to use the quick release. I was then able to pull myself towards the kite, untwist the kite, let it drag back out away from me, pull myself towards the bar and reset the chicken loop. Once the safety line had run through again, the kite powered up pretty hard and I hurt my finger in the process. It was nothing serious, but it did get me thinking about something that could have been a lot worse. If I had had the safety line wrapped around any part of me, like a finger or a toe, it might have chopped it right off when the kite powered up.

My question is this: does anyone know of any technique that could be used to guarantee that the safety line won't be wrapped anywhere around you when you hook the chicken loop back in and allow the line to run back through the bar?

Appreciate any thoughts and experiences on the matter.
Anybody?? Any ideas on how to make resetting your bar in the water and relaunching safer??

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:34 pm

Maybe when you pull yourself up the safety line to the bar, wrap the safety line around the bar a couple of times so after you reset the qr you can check to make sure the safety is not wrapped anywhere and then unwind it from the bar to let it slide out?

DietKiter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa (Spain), Deprano (Grrece)
Favorite Beaches: Lagoa de Cauipe (Cumbuco_Brasil), Stagnone (Marsala_Italy)
Style: FreeStyle, Wake Style
Gear: Cabrinha FX with North Gambler

Postby DietKiter » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:21 pm

Totally agree with NICO - DO NOT KITE ALONE - and HELP the kiters in case is needed... stop fun for while and check!!!

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle and Airstyle
Gear: Liquid Force NRG, FS Speed 4 Lotus, Pansh Aurora II,
RRD Poison, Axis Ltd, RRD BS45, SS Glide, SS Ankle Biter

Postby FLandOBX » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:42 pm

podiatanapraia wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:08 pm
podiatanapraia wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:45 am
Hi everyone. I have a question, and if it's been answered here before, I apologize (but there's, like, 28 pages of experience to read through in this topic alone).

I was out today with a 14m kite in strong winds. Great for hangitme, but a lot of power to hold. At one point the kite hit the water during a kite loop and went into a strange twist and I was forced to use the quick release. I was then able to pull myself towards the kite, untwist the kite, let it drag back out away from me, pull myself towards the bar and reset the chicken loop. Once the safety line had run through again, the kite powered up pretty hard and I hurt my finger in the process. It was nothing serious, but it did get me thinking about something that could have been a lot worse. If I had had the safety line wrapped around any part of me, like a finger or a toe, it might have chopped it right off when the kite powered up.

My question is this: does anyone know of any technique that could be used to guarantee that the safety line won't be wrapped anywhere around you when you hook the chicken loop back in and allow the line to run back through the bar?

Appreciate any thoughts and experiences on the matter.
Anybody?? Any ideas on how to make resetting your bar in the water and relaunching safer??
I agree that this is a risk that we need to manage. Resetting the bar and simply letting the kite power up is a recipe for disaster.

When I am in this situation, I hold the last few feet of the safety line behind the bar. The lines will sort themselves out as the kite drifts downwind, but the kite won't fully power up until you release the safety line. This gives me time to check that the lines are clear before fully powering up the kite. In high winds, I recommend holding the safety line at the kite leash attachment point for a better and safer grip.

Return to “Kitesurfing”