Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Finally I had my first date with the Ultra 12 @ 6-10 knots

forum for kitesurfers

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos, Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Gear: Cabrinha, Liquid force, Moses hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None

Finally I had my first date with the Ultra 12 @ 6-10 knots

Postby abel » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:15 pm

After a looong waiting for the arrival of the kite and proper 6-10 knots cross wind for testing under very light wind conditions,
yesterday I had the opportunity to test the Airush Ultra 12.
There sea was ~2ft. swell, and the wind was cross shore as per the table below (columns order: hour, wind direction, average speed and gust).
Occasionally there was 21 Flysurfer (+ door) , but could hardly point. No other kites on the horizon :wink:
First impression testing on the beach:
- The kite doesn't fall during the lulls. You can leave the bar, an even if it starts falling; it glides slowly down until next puff brings it up again.
If there is a significant lull, such that the kite can’t keep in the air without working it, it slowly drifts like a feather, giving a looot of grace time for recovery.
- It reacts as it was a 10 m kite at 12 knots (pivoting, side to side sweep, and climb up [kite downwind,trailing edge touching ground]
I was impressed how the kite responded to the inputs when trying to avoid a touchdown, was like telepathy, it just reacted as I wanted and as fast as I wanted.
- It is not grunty but has enough pull or HFoiling. The tradeoffs between power (force), stability and reaction speed are amazingly fine-tuned.
- Another guy with a North Ace 11.5 foil arrived. We flied the kites side by side. Of course the Ace didn’t fall, but during the lulls the tips deformed a bit (kite weight 2.28 kg).
I perceived that the Ultra was in pair with it regarding hang and drift (subjective feeling)
- Back to back comparison with my Solo 12: The Solo feels a lot heavier and slower, though the weight difference is 600 g (Ultra 2.8 kg vs. Solo 3.4Kg)
The most tangible test was keeping the kite at the lower end of window [verge of stalling] and pulling the upper rear line.
The Ultra just went up no questions asked, while the Solo didn’t go up but drifted into the window, then slowly and heavily coming back and forth until finally going up (if at all)
On the water:
- For the first time I could ride and point under those limited conditions. :cheer:
Should I be more skilled, I trust that I could freeride side by side with the guy on the foil kite (we had similar Moses Hfoils)
- Best of all I never had to worry about a swim in :D , while in similar conditions I'd certainly had one - see thread http://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2397801

Bottom line:
The Ultra is a very good option for marginal light winds and excels for Hfoiling (if you are reluctant from foil kites 8) ).
I bought one after the testing :naughty: (disclaimer: I have no affiliation with any kite brand)

wind conditions while testing single strut kites.JPG
wind conditions while testing single strut kites.JPG (21.5 KiB) Viewed 1315 times

ciscokitesurfer
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 3
Local Beach: altona
Favorite Beaches: pacasmayo
Style: wave, cruise
Gear: NRG 2014, Ride , REO,

Re: Finally I had my first date with the Ultra 12 @ 6-10 knots

Postby ciscokitesurfer » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:23 pm

a have read so many reviews about this kite that I am buying a 12 meter for the below 12 knots days. I am not waiting for 2nd hand on end of the year deals. great review cheers

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Hollywood Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: Aruba Boca Grandi
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Firewire surfboards Vader and Vanguard
LP and Slingshot Hydrofoil
Ozone Enduro, Reo, Chrono 2
Naish Pivot
BRM Cloud

Postby airsurfer » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:56 pm

great review and info 👍unfortunately still nobody talks about or shows a video of the most important factor for light wind HF, deepwater relaunch in under 10knots.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand
Gear: Homemade 4-1
North Mono 7 & 12
RRD Obsession 9
Core XR3 12m

Postby TomW » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:17 pm

I'm using North Monos now one season, and I do 40-60 sessions a season. The TE on canopy material, at the zig-zag transition zone to the thicker TE cloth is looking very worn already on the 9&12 I use most.
I've never seen this kind of wear on any of the kites I've owned, even ones 4+years old.
So basically, I'm worried about durability of these kind of kites.

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos, Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Gear: Cabrinha, Liquid force, Moses hydrofoil

Postby abel » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:27 pm

TomW wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:17 pm
I'm using North Monos now one season, and I do 40-60 sessions a season. The TE on canopy material, at the zig-zag transition zone to the thicker TE cloth is looking very worn already on the 9&12 I use most.
I've never seen this kind of wear on any of the kites I've owned, even ones 4+years old.
So basically, I'm worried about durability of these kind of kites.
Well... time will tell about durability, but you have a point though, lighter might imply susceptibility to faster wear and tear. :-?
So I'll add another trade-off factor:
Power(force), stability, reaction speed and durability.
It seems that they thought about the issue and I hope that the Dyneema Load Frame solution does improve durability, given that
the canopy tension forces are supported mainly by the fibers rather than the cloth. It does not apply for abrasion and cutting, if self launching or landing.
(so I'll refrain from doing so as possible
:wink: ).

Anyhow, should I have to decide and trade-off a shorter kite life expectation for many tens of sessions/year under 10 knots with an Hfoil, I'll choose the later. :)

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
North Mono 7 & 12
RRD Obsession 9
Core XR3 12m

Postby TomW » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:20 pm

I'm not saying the Ultra will wear faster. The Mono is.
What's happening is the flapping, vibration of TE cloth is wearing it out fast.

Anyone else seeing excessive wear on no or mono strut kite?

Peert
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Pampus, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Cabo 7 and 9m, Naish Trip 10m, Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, Mitu convertible 5.8 & TKF manta Hydrofoil

Postby Peert » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:38 pm

TomW wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:20 pm
I'm not saying the Ultra will wear faster. The Mono is.
What's happening is the flapping, vibration of TE cloth is wearing it out fast.

Anyone else seeing excessive wear on no or mono strut kite?
On my Naish trip there is no excessive wear on the TE.
I have been using it for two seasons. Approx 30 sessions on this kite per season. It is either in the air OR in the bag. No lying around on the beach.

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:41 pm

Peert wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:38 pm
On my Naish trip there is no excessive wear on the TE.
I have been using it for two seasons. Approx 30 sessions on this kite per season. It is either in the air OR in the bag. No lying around on the beach.
Same with my clouds. I don't doubt that strutless/one-strut kites will wear out at trailing edge faster, but all of this wear comes from flapping on the beach, so it is entirely preventable. Strutted kites shouldn't be left out either.

omg
Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:59 am

When looping these one or zero strutted kites, they flap a lot; to me that's a bad sign, it's the same as what happens when you leave your kite on the beach flapping, right? If you don't loop your kite a lot with power, I guess it won't become a problem?

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
North Mono 7 & 12
RRD Obsession 9
Core XR3 12m

Postby TomW » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:03 am

I don't leave mine on the beach, except time to rig and un-rig. But I'm hydrofoiling mostly and when up and riding I'm depowered and canopy is fluttering. so I'm assuming that's when the wear is happening.
When I'm on my surfboard, they don't flutter

Return to “Kitesurfing”