Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Slingshot Wave SST for 2017?

forum for kitesurfers

FranciscoCP
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Guincho, Nova Vaga, Fonte da Telha, Alvor.
Gear: Slingshot Wave SST 2016 (10 & 8 m), Slingshot RPM 2014 (12 m), Slingshot Tyrant 5'11'', HB Bonaparte 5'7'', Dakine C-1
Brand Affiliation: None

Slingshot Wave SST for 2017?

Postby FranciscoCP » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:26 am

Hi all,

thinking of changing my quiver of kites, and the Slingshot Wave SST is my decision.

Just wondering that, given the 2016 came out in July 2015 (at least here in Europe), I would guess the 2017 would be coming out around the same time this year?

has anyone got any info / rumour on the 2017 model?

thanks,

Francisco

fcwatersports
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Sandbanks Poole
Favorite Beaches: Big Bay CPT Silver sands,WA
Gear: Slingshot, Cabrinha, Naish, Wainman, Ride Engine, Pro-limit
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot, Cabrinha, Naish, Wainman, Ride Engine, Pro-limit

Re: Slingshot Wave SST for 2017?

Postby fcwatersports » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:06 pm

Hi Francisco

I have just heard that the New wave SST will now come in all sizes 4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11 I have an 8m and 6m Currently i have a 6m and 8m (2015/16) Edition and really love them! my only criticism was that the 6m was still to powerful when it was really cranking, so slingshot have answered that question, so i will replace my 6m for a 4m.. and have 4m 6m 8m and maybe 10.. as the kite is also superb for foiling. I don't know the exact date of release but now its tried and tested its a safer bet that purchasing last seasons with no much rider feedback about.

FranciscoCP
Rare Poster
Gear: Slingshot Wave SST 2016 (10 & 8 m), Slingshot RPM 2014 (12 m), Slingshot Tyrant 5'11'', HB Bonaparte 5'7'', Dakine C-1

Postby FranciscoCP » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:10 pm

Thanks for that fcwatersports, valuable feedback.

FranciscoCP
Rare Poster

Postby FranciscoCP » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:26 pm

Fcwatersports,

still on this topic (sorry!)

your comment focuses basically on new sizes expected.

what about any major/minor changes in the kite itself (shape, construction, bridal), should anything be expected, relevant enough for me to hold tight a bit longer and buy the 2017 ones instead of 2016?

thanks again

Jake-Skymonster
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Gullane, Scotland
Gear: Ozone C4's + Shinn Ultrasonic
Brand Affiliation: Co-owner at www.Skymonster.com - UK's kitesurfing store

Postby Jake-Skymonster » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:48 am

Francisco, we're all still waiting for more details on the new SST - as always you'll probably get some minor improvements but having said that the SST is one of the best selling kites we've had for a long time. And yeah the smaller sizes still pack a punch but it's down to rider's preference.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Fri May 06, 2016 2:55 pm

Has anyone here ridden the 12M SST? I'm curious how it works as a big kite with regards to low end and general wind range.

I have an 8M and 10M SST and love them. At the time I purchased I shied away from the 12M because people were saying the Waves were sized small, but after several solid sessions on the kites, I found a lot of the early kite feedback to be bullshit. They are true to size. I was still under the impression they were smaller on a recent kite trip, so when most people were on 9M kites, I put up my 10M and had...a little more power, maybe too much. So, by the end of the week, as a lot of folks were odd sized kites, I found I could be on my 8 and 10 SSTs when they were on 9 and 11 kites. No issues.

I think the thing is the kites look a little smaller on the beach, BUT they are very deep. So, you get the canopy size you want in the sky.

I also found they jump just fine! Seemed to jump similar to an RPM, not the same glide as a Rally, but the height and all is fine. It is more of an up/down jump then the flight on a Rally. It wasn't lacking for anything. It's just a fun kite to fly.

Goes upwind just fine for me and I thought the drift was fun to play with in the ocean or the flats. You can really ride right at it. It loops nice and tight so you can also spin it one way or the other if you are in a situation where you need to ride at it for a long time (i.e. heading down a canal slick that is straight downwind of you.)

Stoked to hear SS is filling in the quiver with more sizes! Although, for right now I think I could get by with an 8/10/12.... so how is that 12 anyway? :naughty:

This is one of those designs that I honestly can't see them changing anything for 2017. There is nothing on the kite that needs tweaked. Thus, my prediction is, "same platform, more sizes!"

Return to “Kitesurfing”