Medium Poster
Kiting since: 4
Local Beach: San andres
Style: Free ride old school
Gear: north dyno
Brand Affiliation: None

Looking for local knowledge for oxnard/ventura calif

Postby Oldpeople » Wed May 04, 2016 9:22 pm

I am tryjng to find some locals who can give me info about kiteboarding spots in the oxnard ventura area of california. Looking for more info than I can find on sploc and the web. I'm stuck in southern california this summer and am trying to see whats possible close to thousand oaks . Thanks in advance.

Da Yoda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless freestyle, Surf, Freeride
Gear: North, Tomo/Firewire, Loyd, Exile, Ion, WMFG

Re: Looking for local knowledge for oxnard/ventura calif

Postby Da Yoda » Wed May 04, 2016 9:52 pm

Leo Carrillo
Nicholas Canyon/Zero
Topanga
Zuma
If haven't already found this info, here's the link: http://new.scka.org/kitespots (click on info links at right of page)
Ledbetter Beach near Santa Barbara is also kite'able.

wedge
Frequent Poster

Postby wedge » Wed May 04, 2016 11:41 pm

C Street - Nice point break. Not a learners place. Locals like having their way around the break. Up wind from the break is less aggressive. Never kite through the surfers line up. Beatings can happen.

Emma Wood - Less than a mile north of C Street, but access point is quite a drive around the river bed. Nice. Beware the kelp. Beware the break wall. Launch downwind on the beach.

Oxnard - Mandalay Beach - Wide open beaches. Sand breaks everywhere. Nice down winders. Wind tends to be straight onshore, so sometime tough to get outside the break zone.

Silverstrand - Southside of Channel Islands Harbor. Better side-shore wind set up. You launch in a wind shadow, so pay attention to what size others are flying. Smoother water because of the break wall. Heavy wave spot on big days.

Hueneme - Lots of mostly uncrowded beach South of pier. Currents go the same way as wind so upwind is a bit more effort.

Note on above: Zuma is not approved for kiting. Launch at the very North end only, at Trances Creek. Never launch in midst of summer crowds. Never go down wind past first lifeguard stand (#14). If you start to, get out and walk back up to launch.

Of all of the listed, Nicholas is the best learners spot. Mellow vibe. Mostly empty. Pretty smooth water. No one surf break to make kiters territorial. Beware the kelp! There was a kelp related drowning at Topanga a few years back.

Oldpeople
Medium Poster

Postby Oldpeople » Thu May 05, 2016 12:36 am

Thanks all. I am an experienced kiter but have been spoiled for kiting almost exclusively in warm flat water. A couple of questions.
Where on mandalay beach do guys set up? I think I will check out hueneme, silverstrand and mandalay. They end up closest to me location wise.For a little flatter water where would be the best? I really haven't done any wave riding but I guess I should start. And I think I will try foiling..so any recommendations about that between those three. And......( it pains me have to ask) what thickness wet suit for summer months?
On this stretch of the coast are the winds thermals? Picking up late afternoon? It seems to me that windfinder/guru arent very good about picking up thermals. What do you guys check to see if its worth the drive? Any local user facebook groups etc? Lots of questions.....so thanks for the help. Its whats so great about kiteforum

Oldpeople
Medium Poster

Postby Oldpeople » Thu May 05, 2016 3:42 am

Wedge, where is Nicholas that you mentioned?

windrupted
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: North Beach, Barney Line, The Wood in Ventucky, Island Park Idaho and Mt Hagin MT
Favorite Beaches: G-Land (Plenkung Point)
Style: Waves, Goofy or Switch
Gear: Craigslist
Brand Affiliation: Charles Shaw

Postby windrupted » Thu May 05, 2016 4:22 am

The most consistent spot for wind is Ventura/LA County Line, AKA County. Nicholas is about as windy but the waves are less rideable.

wedge
Frequent Poster

Postby wedge » Thu May 05, 2016 6:23 am

Oldpeople wrote:For a little flatter water where would be the best? I really haven't done any wave riding but I guess I should start. And I think I will try foiling..so any recommendations about that between those three.

No real flat water in these parts. I believe Belmont is closest, but I've never kited there so I can't give any advise.

Nicholas Canyon (google it for location) is the flattest around here because the kelp bed outside smooths out the chop. Also the waves break close to shore, so you can body drag past the breakers fairly quickly.

Not really any foil boarding spotted in these parts yet. Most people are into wave riding, and it gets pretty shallow by the time the wave finishes. Kelp is also an issue. You can scoot over it on a TT, navigate through it on a surfboard (go downwind so your fin goes in the same direction as the tendrils). But foiling around kelp? Not sure how that works. Maybe you can be the local pioneer.

ps ~ County Line can get a little aggressive. Wave priority and rotation are expected to be adhered to. If you are new to waves, I highly recommend not getting your feet wet there. Start at Nicholas, then observe at other spots once you get the rhythm.

bobgatpdx
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Ledbetter CA
Gear: OR Mako, LF Solo

Postby bobgatpdx » Thu May 05, 2016 3:49 pm

There's a group of foilboarders at Ledbetter beach in Santa Barbara. Ledbetter and also East Beach are very mellow spots - as close to flat water as you'll get. In the summer the surf is minimal and the sea breezes are afternoon thermals. I'm usually out on my 12m or 15.5m kite on a twintip. The foilboarders are using 8m and 10m kites.

C-Street and Emma Wood are good intermediate spots too when the waves are small (check Surfline). At C-Street, I go up to the river mouth where the cement turret is. This is a few hundred yards north of the main launch and is out of the way of surfers and the wave kiters.
- Bob

Wavebunny
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Malibu
Favorite Beaches: None
Style: What style?
Gear: Core/Carved

Postby Wavebunny » Fri May 06, 2016 2:13 pm

I think Seal Beach is the only beginner friendly beach if you are going to be trying new stuff. Decent wind, low end, at least once a week, after 3PM. No real wave. I wouldn't go north, not alone! I didn't love C Street. Ledbetter/anything SB is too far from Thousand Oaks; probably not worth the long drive in summer traffic. You need huge kites in So Cal. Core just had a demo at Belmont Shore. Contact them! And please keep us posted! We all want to see So Cal finally develop the sport a little. Have a ball!

Wavebunny
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Malibu
Favorite Beaches: None
Style: What style?
Gear: Core/Carved

Postby Wavebunny » Fri May 06, 2016 2:20 pm

Oh sorry, you said Thousand Oaks, I was thinking Sherman Oaks. Yeah, Seal Beach might be too far... Sorry, yes, then north is best. Keep us posted

Return to “Kitesurfing”