Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

You are kiting and you see these clouds: what do you do?

Forum for kitesurfers
naishkiter10882
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: napeague, ny
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: You are kiting and you see these clouds: what do you do?

Postby naishkiter10882 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:15 pm

Tom183 wrote:
naishkiter10882 wrote:I know i was in contact with one of these clouds now.. one kite was still up when it came.. i knew something was funky so i went in and i still had my kite up and i felt the wind shift a little and i imediately landed my kite. I grabed its leading edge and held on TIGHT, very strong gust.. i ran to my equipment and held it down.

The guy who still had his kite up use the quick release right when the gust got there.. He was advanced level though. He was on the beach when he did this.

This happened during an ocean session.. really good thing we were in on time, because wind started blowing offshore at 60 mph, in long island.. meaning there were no islands to be dragged to on your kite.. just the west atlantic ocean..
I wouldn't call that "on time"...
close enough hehe

naishkiter10882
Frequent Poster

Postby naishkiter10882 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:18 pm

Does anyone know what kind of cloud hit us in East Longisland.. or what happened..?

naishkiter10882
Frequent Poster

Postby naishkiter10882 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:11 pm

Does anyone know what kind of cloud hit us in East Long island.. or what Caused the squall..?

Tom183
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tom183 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:17 pm

naishkiter10882 wrote:
Tom183 wrote:
naishkiter10882 wrote:I know i was in contact with one of these clouds now.. one kite was still up when it came.. i knew something was funky so i went in and i still had my kite up and i felt the wind shift a little and i imediately landed my kite. I grabed its leading edge and held on TIGHT, very strong gust.. i ran to my equipment and held it down.

The guy who still had his kite up use the quick release right when the gust got there.. He was advanced level though. He was on the beach when he did this.

This happened during an ocean session.. really good thing we were in on time, because wind started blowing offshore at 60 mph, in long island.. meaning there were no islands to be dragged to on your kite.. just the west atlantic ocean..
I wouldn't call that "on time"...
close enough hehe
That could have ended much differently - just dumb luck it didn't hit any sooner, and it might next time.

naishkiter10882
Frequent Poster

Postby naishkiter10882 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:50 pm

yeah i know to come in earlier now, i learned a lot after sunday.

Also i know as soon as i see 1 i have to the get F in

naishkiter10882
Frequent Poster

Postby naishkiter10882 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:28 pm

update on long island, new york storm from sunday...

45000 peopel lost power. Winds reaching 80 knots in East Moriches, Long island, New york.
Microburst hit sections of longisland.
No accidents, and no injuries reported.

I added some very bad quality pictures from the local newspaper.

WNDS BLOWING SO IM OFFLINE PEACE!
Attachments
IMG00005.JPG
IMG00004.JPG
IMG00003.JPG

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:31 am

Here is a video from that day in SW Suffolk County. You can see things before and during the storm. In this case a shelf cloud passed over with a lot of rain.

Here's another clip from Montauk possibly with higher winds:

http://uservideo.weather.com/item/83HLNP4GVK44CRM8

All this stuff showed up on radar prior to striking and a hazardous weather announcement was made by NWS (can't always count on this NWS warnings in all cases either, it;s up to us).

naishkiter10882
Frequent Poster

Postby naishkiter10882 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:11 pm

thanks for the vids

besttaste
Frequent Poster
Style: pull power foreward

Postby besttaste » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:53 pm

Thanks for all the useful info!

We have really unstable weather on the west coast of Denmark at the moment. Cold frontals from over the Atlantic cause this unstable weather. Many of the clouds look similar to some of the pictures posted. I had your thread in mind when I saw a nasty cloud 2 days ago - and my decision was to pack and go home...

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:22 am

Thanks for writing and I hope your season starts to settle out in Denmark. This brings up an important point. "Upweather" can go a good distance, across the USA from Seattle to Cape Hatteras and even across the Atlantic. This is certainly the case with former tropical systems such as hurricanes and strong depressions that carry grief across the Atlantic and into the UK, Europe and beyond. These systems can be identified in imagery as they cross the continents and Atlantic to varying degrees. It is no accident the weather images look familiar.

I was checking to see if the system that hammered through Long Island was related to one of the MANY powerful cold fronts that have been trashing parts of the USA with bouts of tornados. These shelf clouds can toss off tornados ,hail, torrential rain with some frequency. Still haven't confirmed it yet but it is a possibility. Most years powerful fronts bring hazardous squall lines along the leading edge of the systems. They are often easy to spot on satellite, radar imagery and real time winds upweather before they have a go at you. Often the hazardous section if fairly thin and at times can pass by fairly quickly. Kite before, after (rigging the RIGHT sized kite for actual conditions), just not during the passage of the nasty bits using Internet aids. So, if we have our hands full upweather keep an eye out for related inbound systems to your area. Some former tropical systems have taken out kiters in Europe in past years as you find in past discussions.

Return to “Kitesurfing”