Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Sunset Beach, Belmont Shore, CA
Gear: 16m '05 Cabrinha Xbow, '05 139 Slingshot SX
Brand Affiliation: None

Kite Surfing for my Son

Postby wnfaknd » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:41 pm

I would like to buy a rig for my son.
He is 11 years old and weights 84lb.
Any recommendations on what size kite to get him?
Im in Southern California where the winds rarely go over 16mph.

Jaco
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Re: Kite Surfing for my Son

Postby Jaco » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:22 pm

I'd say a smaller Cabrinha Omega...there are some blowout deals on Omegas on ebay. In the 2:1 he an get lot of depower with minimal bar travel. Lose the chickenloop and direct connect the throw to his harness for a better depower range cause of his shorter arms.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:41 pm

If you did want to shorten the throw, this is what I use. Haven't had any problems using it. I ground it down just enough to fit the quick release.
Attachments
60mmsnaphook.jpg
60mmsnaphook.jpg (464.32 KiB) Viewed 1525 times

islandstylen
Very Frequent Poster

Postby islandstylen » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:46 pm

i would have to disagree and say no to a cabrinha omega for your grom, i would think you might want something with a little lighter steering, also full depower would be nice. new cabrinha IDS kites maybe?
yes i have ridden the omega, not a kite for kids i reckon. just my 2 cents

naishkiter10882
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: napeague, ny

Postby naishkiter10882 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:52 pm

2m best trainer

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1991
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V4, 9/14 Enduro, Zephyr V5, Edge V9 10M Axis 5'7" Kapua, 5'4" New Wave, Patrol 1.48, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" Ride engine carbon elite, rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisBoarding

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:47 pm

wnfaknd wrote:I would like to buy a rig for my son.
He is 11 years old and weights 84lb.
Any recommendations on what size kite to get him?
Im in Southern California where the winds rarely go over 16mph.
Ozone Instinct2 Light 9M for winds that light. The light is an awesome kite, and has almost total depower at the bar. It still has excellent upwind and lift, as well as excellent stability and easy relaunch.
2nd Choice would be the Cabrinha 9M CB IDS, same important features as the ozone, big depower and easy relaunch, with the extra ease of IDS self landing and total depower.

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve

foam-n-fibre
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: DIY boards and OR kites

Postby foam-n-fibre » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:38 am

My son has ridden a 2006 7m Waroo in very light wind on skis. He was 10 at the time. In light winds, no problem. But yes, the bar travel thing is an issue. The hook length, chicken loop size, and lack of length in the torso meaning he can't lean forward to add bar travel all reduce the ability to trim the kite well. I'm not sure what the best solution is, but it will have to involve minimal junk between the torso and the unobstructed CL line. Also, unless he's super athletic and a smart fast learner I can tell you there's no way in hell I'd be getting my son something as big as a 9. You can be sure you'll need a kite for him smaller than that on some days, so start small and work your way up.

My son is an average athletic level, and I'm definitely not pushing him into kiting just yet. We've made no attempts to get going on water. He'd need a lot more understanding on how to handle the kite in more wind, and in safety concerns, and I think he'd need a different bar setup. I might add that we borrowed a 5m 07 Waroo in Hatteras, to fly in the shallows. I found that kite pretty unforgiving, either powering through the window pulling hard for a kid that size,or drifting backward and me saying "let the bar out, let the bar out". On that day, I hooked the safety leash to MY harness, not his, so I could help hold him back when the kite pulled hard.

Peter

maddy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby maddy » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:01 am

I am having succesfull safe and fast learning with kids aged like yours with Peter Lynn 8 or 10 m. venom or vortex. You can start in 10 /12 knots on the beach - then body dragging (side wind NO BOARD) - then just board rescue (in & out) - then start with the board....

The power is smooth, the kite is autozenith very difficult to crash and helps quite a lot in confidence and upwind performances.

it will take around 12 hours (days) to have it up winding and it will be a perfect set for a couple of years (not over 20 knts) then you will need a bigger size for the ligth.

The only problem is that it's absolutely necessary to know how it works (few skills)

You may easily learn with such a small size simply from the video (comes together with the kite)

Hybridkiter
Medium Poster

Postby Hybridkiter » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:20 am

I teach middle school kids to kite. I have also taught my two sons, now 9 and 12. Both boys kite in very strong winds with ease now--30+. Both of them have flown trainer kites for 3/4 years before I let them ride this summer. My suggestions for getting kids going SAFELY and in a really fun way are:

1. Fly trainer kites for hours and hours. Kiters need to be able to fly a trainer hooked in with ONE HAND without any effort/struggle whatsoever. Take the fins off of a kiteboard and play games where they have to get the board on their feet with one hand on the bar. Start with SMALL kites and work your way up slowly and safely.

2. Borrow, or rent a boat or jetski and have kids wakeboard for a few hours on a kiteboard. Makes a HUGE difference once they are up on a kite.

3. I really like 08 North Rebels, 08 Slingshot T3's, and 06/08 North Vegas' for kids. All of these have excellent depower and very good safety systems.

4. I really DO NOT like any kite, bow or not, with a rear line safety. They are not safe, and the kids will get yarded when they activate the safety on them.

5. Lessons...

6. Kiteboarding is a much more simple sport to learn than windsurfing, for example. So, don't rush it. Keep it fun. Don't forget that kiteboarding is about flying the kite. I see too many parents rushing their kids onto the board. Usually, small kitemares and frustrated kids are the end product of that routine.

wnfaknd
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Sunset Beach, Belmont Shore, CA
Gear: 16m '05 Cabrinha Xbow, '05 139 Slingshot SX

Postby wnfaknd » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:22 am

Thanks for the tips.
I would agree that 9M might be too large to begin with.
I was thinking a 6M or 7M and take it from there.

Return to “Kitesurfing”