Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

first kite for 8 year old: Ozone Light or Waroo 3/5 m?

Forum for kitesurfers
Kevin Salter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: 09 Eclipse Kima's, Surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None ride what I like
Has thanked: 0

Re: first kite for 8 year old: Ozone Light or Waroo 3/5 m?

Postby Kevin Salter » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:24 am

The ozone light will be a lot more user friendly than a waroo.

The other good kite in small sizes would be the Eclipse Nano 6m or 4m, they would be worth looking at, and have a very wide wind range esp the 6m.

lucie
Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: Airush Diamond kites and Airush Diamond board.
Been thanked: 0

Postby lucie » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:35 am

Kevin Salter wrote:The ozone light will be a lot more user friendly than a waroo.
Hi, Kev, not picking a fight but would be genuinely interested to know your reasons for this? Cheers! :D

powerpersonified
Medium Poster
Style: wake
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby powerpersonified » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:06 am

Just an idea here... If it was me I would get whatever kite you feel comfortable putting your child on and make him a custom bar by cutting it way down in length - Maybe something like 10 to 12" for a 3m - Those little kites are very fast and generate lots of power quick with their speed - just an idea... A 3m that turns like a 12m sounds safer to me

Kevin Salter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: 09 Eclipse Kima's, Surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None ride what I like

Postby Kevin Salter » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:22 am

lucie wrote:
Kevin Salter wrote:The ozone light will be a lot more user friendly than a waroo.
Hi, Kev, not picking a fight but would be genuinely interested to know your reasons for this? Cheers! :D
The small waroo's are a lot less stable and forgiving than the ozone light.

A common problem with small kites is that they are too reactive to bar input and that they fly to the edge of the wind window to quickly.

Both the ozone lite and the eclipse Nano's are solid and very usable in a wide range of condiotions.

I wave ride alot on small kites on a surfboard, so have had a lot to do with them over the years.

lucie
Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: Airush Diamond kites and Airush Diamond board.

Postby lucie » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:40 am

[quote="Kevin SalterThe small waroo's are a lot less stable and forgiving than the ozone light.

A common problem with small kites is that they are too reactive to bar input and that they fly to the edge of the wind window to quickly.

Both the ozone lite and the eclipse Nano's are solid and very usable in a wide range of condiotions.

I wave ride alot on small kites on a surfboard, so have had a lot to do with them over the years.[/quote]

'kay, thanks. Just wondered if there was something about the Light that had completely passed me by. Thanks for answering :D

STORMBIRD
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Maui, Isle of Palms South Carolina, South Padre Island Texas, Punta San Carlos Baja Mexico., pak nam pran Thailand...and a secret spot!
Style: kiteloops, unhooked,wavenostraps
Gear: North Vegas,Eclipse Thruster kites, 2007 naish thorn board or strapless surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None, mutt quiver and duct tape

Postby STORMBIRD » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:43 am

I wouldn't touch either kite with a 10 foot pole. Pick one that has a push away type quick release on the chicken loop.

fen
Medium Poster

Postby fen » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:39 pm

my son aged 9 is using a 5m waroo 07 on shorter lines 18m, mainly because it is the same kite as he used during his lessons.

it seems pretty good actually, but needs a bit of wind to make it fly properly.

tomhubboater
Rare Poster

Postby tomhubboater » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:48 pm

hi all,

I have to find a solution for my kid as well.. and thought about a cabrinha 6m2 2006/07 .. switchblade.

I have not flown it yet .. anybody who can give some input ??

tx
thomas

Waldo
Medium Poster

Postby Waldo » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:04 pm

I'm confident a Switchblade is a good option. The main argument against the Switchblade is the price, I can buy a 3 and a 5 Ozone Light or Waroo with a set of lines for the price of one Switchblade 4 (+/-). I prefer the safety of having 2 kites and not letting him go in the water overpowered.

naishkiter10882
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: napeague, ny

Postby naishkiter10882 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:23 pm

YngvaiMalmsteve wrote:
Waldo wrote:Thanks for the info, Steve. My shop suggested the Waroo as the Ozone -quote- "does not offer 100% depower - Best is more like a Cab with no stopper" -end depower-. I'll go to the shop to check. I associate Ozone with top notch quality, but I remember a friend who flies Ozone also said depower is their weak(est) point. What's your opinion? I think depower and relaunch are the 2 key factors for learning.
Well, I don't think there's a such thing as 100% depower for any kite. That said....

I've flown the 2007 9 meter Ozone Instinct Light and I can say it depowers quite well. It has very "on/off" style depower, so you can shut it off quickly. Depower is even better on the '08's with the new wing tip shapes.
the ozones have amazing depower i think he means the flag out system is sketchy?

Return to “Kitesurfing”