Forum for kitesurfers
voodoospirit
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: alps lakes, alps mountain snowkites
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Ram Airs CRASH at PKRA Germany 2008

Postby voodoospirit » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:22 am

thx to some trolls on this forum, some LEI riders really think that rams air kite sucks totally and i have to let them try my kites so they can change their mind or open their mind a bit...

my closest foil dealer is at 400km but i repair my kite with kitefix in 5mn and for massive damages i bring it to paragliding shops (like the LEI riders here).

anyway, grats to peter lynn in the PKRA, reminds me that someone said that no foils owner would enter in a top10 PKRA event....i wonder who.

ride whaterver u like but some kites r more handy in some situations.

mv
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby mv » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:25 am

Chris1973 wrote:I must have been mising episodes here because i just can't understand what's the big deal with the hole ram airs vs inflatos thing.
I mean does it really matter? Ride what you want and have fun.
I ride inflatos and i have never riden a flysurfer or peter lynn but i must say i am interested to try one just to see the diferense in flying from an inflato.
In my spot nobody rides ram airs, not because nobody likes them but because there is no dealer here and we are thinking that it might be difficult to handle any damages to the kites.
The deal is the PMU gets his rocks off by making his lame posts. Almost everyone outside of PMU and a few others go with the "ride what you want" attitude and just have fun.

We should take a poll.

Does anyone, I mean anyone care what PMU says?

BenWilder
Medium Poster
Style: wakestyle
Gear: EPIC & XENON

Postby BenWilder » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:36 am

mv wrote:
The deal is the PMU gets his rocks off by making his lame posts. Almost everyone outside of PMU and a few others go with the "ride what you want" attitude and just have fun.

We should take a poll.

Does anyone, I mean anyone care what PMU says?
I hope nobody cares what PMU says but unfortunately every time when i go to places where aint any foil riders than me, tubekiters comes to ask that how can you ride with that. They say they have read that foil's cant be relaundhed etc. stuff.

Tom183
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tom183 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:03 pm

I don't care what PMU says, but you hear a lot of the same crap from dealers and riders who haven't tried foils or only rode older ones or were already so prejudiced that they won't admit any of the good things they might have noticed the one time they actually tried one. There's a tiny minority of LEI riders who can legitimately say "foils just don't suit my riding style", but the rest are just regurgitating what they have heard from dealers who want to sell them an LEI (fatter profit margin) or guys like PMU who are afraid the brand they fly might become unpopular.

It's all about money - dealers pimp the gear that gives them the fattest profit margins, the mags pimp the brands that generate the most advertising revenue, etc., etc. The uninformed get swept up in the current.

I just do my thing on the water and answer LOTS of those questions from the guys watching on the beach. :thumb:

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:49 pm

So five out of the top 10 kites in the race events were foils.
Four Flysurfers and One Peter Lynn.
North had Four in the top 10 and 1st 2nd and 3rd places
Flysurfer got 4th place with Sebastian Bubmann despite having a blown out eardrum that must
mess with your balance a fair bit. It was also Sebastians first time competing in a world cup race competition. Pretty darn good I would say.

So how can we interpret this using PMU logic....

So according to him Foils crashed at the German PKRA and thus are crap....
But does this also mean that every other LEI company except North are really crap?????

So using PMU logic 90% of kiters are riding realy crap loser kites?????? :o :roll:
I don't think so :thumb:

The truth is that there are a hell of a lot of great kites out there.
Just about every brand is making improvements from year to year or sooner.
I could't be better.

In my case the new Psycho 4 15m and 10m are making me smile! :D
Cheers
Last edited by FredBGG on Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

DART VADER
Medium Poster
Gear: Tube, Foil
Brand Affiliation: Sportime Family

Postby DART VADER » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:00 pm

I think some guys hate ram airs.
Ram air are not like inflatables, are different. In light wind much better. I have both. Fly high kiteboarding is wonderful :allbegood:

mv
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mv » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:22 pm

Tom183 wrote:I don't care what PMU says, but you hear a lot of the same crap from dealers and riders who haven't tried foils or only rode older ones or were already so prejudiced that they won't admit any of the good things they might have noticed the one time they actually tried one. There's a tiny minority of LEI riders who can legitimately say "foils just don't suit my riding style", but the rest are just regurgitating what they have heard from dealers who want to sell them an LEI (fatter profit margin) or guys like PMU who are afraid the brand they fly might become unpopular.

It's all about money - dealers pimp the gear that gives them the fattest profit margins, the mags pimp the brands that generate the most advertising revenue, etc., etc. The uninformed get swept up in the current.

I just do my thing on the water and answer LOTS of those questions from the guys watching on the beach. :thumb:
I notice the same thing. The local ship owner talks bad about foils whenever customer gets curious because the FS dealer is independent and does not sell through te guys shop.

I get a ton of questions from people and the biggest one is about water relaunching. Almost everyone has heard they sink.

mv
http://www.kitesurfinfo.com

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:59 pm

mv wrote:I get a ton of questions from people and the biggest one is about water relaunching. Almost everyone has heard they sink.

mv
http://www.kitesurfinfo.com
have them look at this video...

[kiteforumtv]http://www.kiteforum.tv/video/Flysurfer ... aunch.html[/kiteforumtv]

-andre-
Medium Poster
Style: no school
Gear: GK V-SONIC
TRIX´08 12, 9

UG FLX 132

Postby -andre- » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:54 am

And i still think PMU is being payed by flysurfer for his posts here! Always ends in some free ads for FS :) !

Can´t believe all the battles in the past:
bows vs. c vs. foil vs. delta vs. hybrids
this rocks, that sucks and this and that is gay!

the more concepts hit the market, the more choice i have to find what fits ME best (not Ruben or Aaron).

Don´t know if it is good for the business, but for me its nice and interesting.

And i´m glad that i not have to step back on my 2000 2 line wipi freeair :-D !(perhaps i would if the spots are that empty again)

greets andré

hleeb9
Medium Poster

Postby hleeb9 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:28 am

Here's a story (from snowboarding instead of kiteboarding): When I started snowboarding in Austria in the mid 80's with a group of enthusiastic racers, you just had to have a raceboard and hard boots. Soft boots and freestyle-boards were an absolute no-no (think: gay). It's true that, at that time, freestyle boards were not very good for carving.

But boards & boots got better. Today, I ride both: Raceboard & hard boots for hard-packed snow and empty slopes, freestyle board & soft otherwise.

With hindsight, I have to admit that I missed a lot of good days I could have had on a freestyle board by religiously insisting on riding raceboards on bumpy and crowded slopes.

I'm not saying that tubes are like freestyle snowboards or like race boards or whatever. But I'm not going to let some stupid prejudice get between me and fun again. Living in light-wind heaven, I currently use two foils and one tube.

Hannes

Return to “Kitesurfing”