Gear: Mako Classic, Mako King, Core Fusion 139 cm
Core Free 9M
Core XR6 12
Flysurfer Speed3 21 M
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Core Combat; Good kite, bad kite?

Postby Kirok » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:00 pm

Core of Germany is selling a Delta C kite that looks nice. Also the control bar looks solid and has a 360 pull up release to either a 5th line or a mini 5th line. Has anyone tried this kite? What can you tell me about it?

Kirk

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com
Has thanked: 0

Re: Core Combat; Good kite, bad kite?

Postby Frank Rosin » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:05 am

The Core Combat is my choice to ride waves this year.
Using mainly the 5m and 7m. Using the stock bar, works very well.
Riding in Denmark quite a lot.
My next trip might be in the end of this month. Where are you from?

See ya!
Frank

Kirok
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Lynæs, Denmark
Nivå, Denmark
Favorite Beaches: Gudmindrup, Denmark
Ishøj, Denmark
Hvide Sande, Denmark
Style: Freeride
Core Free 9M
Core XR6 12
Flysurfer Speed3 21 M

Postby Kirok » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:26 pm

Hi Frank
Jeg er fra Holte, Danmark men er en Amerikaner 8)
Nice pictures.
I like the Delta design and originally was looking for a Bandit. Unfortunately the quick realease on the CL is too primitive for me to consider in a new kite and bar system. I noticed that CORE has a modern 360 pull up release which is much better.

Have you compared the Combat to the Fone Bandit?

See you on the water some day.

regards
Kirk

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com

Postby Frank Rosin » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:08 am

The QR is very good and easy to find.
You are welcome to try my kites if we meet in DK.
Just send me a PM or mail where you are riding.

(Did not fly bandit enough to compare really.)

Frank

Johnt
Rare Poster

Postby Johnt » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:19 pm

I have a 12, 9 and 7, and for a wave kite, they cook. I generally only ride waves and on a surfboard. They are sooo fast and extremely reactive.
I did a flat water kite on my old bow kite after riding these for a while and the old bow is like trying to fly the Hindenberg compared to these.

I have lengthened the lines to the chicken loop by 200m so I can get full depower when gibing or when riding a wave. It is an easy retrofit.
I have also added an additional pulley to the bridle but haven’t tested it yet. This is the same retrofit that was done on the old X-bow 1’s to reduce the bar pressure.
I also removed the little plastic loop from the bar as the bar has mistakenly hooked up in that after being dumped a couple of times – a bit scarey being dumped while you are fully powered.

Before lengthening the lines I had a problem in about 25 knots where I had to ping off and I found that the short 5th safety line isn’t much help. If I didn’t find someone to catch the kite, I would have had to ditch it. Even with the extra 200mm retrofit, the short 5th line is not much use. I am trying to work on an adaptation.

Another thing I found is that if you walk up the beach with the kite depowered, it falls out of the sky and then suddenly takes wind which is very scary. With it fully powered it doesn’t happen – ie, on the walk of shame, make sure you power your kite.

Even with the few quirks, this kite is a thoroughbred wave rider and I wouldn’t change it.

Kirok
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Lynæs, Denmark
Nivå, Denmark
Favorite Beaches: Gudmindrup, Denmark
Ishøj, Denmark
Hvide Sande, Denmark
Style: Freeride
Core Free 9M
Core XR6 12
Flysurfer Speed3 21 M

Postby Kirok » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:47 pm

Johnt wrote:I have a 12, 9 and 7, and for a wave kite, they cook. I generally only ride waves and on a surfboard. They are sooo fast and extremely reactive.
I did a flat water kite on my old bow kite after riding these for a while and the old bow is like trying to fly the Hindenberg compared to these.

I have lengthened the lines to the chicken loop by 200m so I can get full depower when gibing or when riding a wave. It is an easy retrofit.
I have also added an additional pulley to the bridle but haven’t tested it yet. This is the same retrofit that was done on the old X-bow 1’s to reduce the bar pressure.
I also removed the little plastic loop from the bar as the bar has mistakenly hooked up in that after being dumped a couple of times – a bit scarey being dumped while you are fully powered.

Before lengthening the lines I had a problem in about 25 knots where I had to ping off and I found that the short 5th safety line isn’t much help. If I didn’t find someone to catch the kite, I would have had to ditch it. Even with the extra 200mm retrofit, the short 5th line is not much use. I am trying to work on an adaptation.

Another thing I found is that if you walk up the beach with the kite depowered, it falls out of the sky and then suddenly takes wind which is very scary. With it fully powered it doesn’t happen – ie, on the walk of shame, make sure you power your kite.

Even with the few quirks, this kite is a thoroughbred wave rider and I wouldn’t change it.
Thanks JohnT, That was all excellent input especially the mods you made.
regards
Kirk

Buzzy
Medium Poster

Postby Buzzy » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:54 am

Core has just released the Combat GT, which is desiogned more into being an allround to freestyle kite but is still very good for waves..(they are very similar..the Combat turns faster, more on a dime, but the GT is more stable and has more pull in the loops)

a lot of people said they liked it more than the bandit dos at the testival at the world cup with hundrets of kiters testing..
Last edited by Buzzy on Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

xray
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
Style: Freeride/wave
Gear: Pivot 5-8

Postby xray » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:11 am

Now that sounds good but....
1) it isn't very specific why
2) your biased....

I'm especially interested in 1....

marijnpaques
Rare Poster

Postby marijnpaques » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:33 am

About the release of the Bandit.

I also had my doubt's about the release system, but because it's simple approach its very safe and works well if you pull it.

Before the Bandit I had a North Rebel which is provided with the 5th element bar and uses also a 360 pull up release. But I think that the F-one release releases easier than a 360 pull up release, no pressure or glide way over some steel route pin.

Of course the F-one system looks very old compared to a new release system, but don't let you be fooled about the looks of the system.

Greets,

Pigs

Buzzy
Medium Poster

Postby Buzzy » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:07 am

xray wrote:Now that sounds good but....
1) it isn't very specific why
2) your biased....

I'm especially interested in 1....

1 because of 2 ;)

I just like the GT more...

I even put three in my team rider quiver..

10,5 for little wind, 7 and 5..

still have 9 and 7 Fireball...

and that says alot because it is the first SLE of any type to enter my quiver..

but as I am biased I just wanted to add that if it is not mainly for waves it is worth to take a look into he the GT as it kind of melts the qualitys of previous carved and core kites

also the virtual 5th is much longer..

on the combat it is short, so you can unwrap the bar fast in case of a tangel and you do not loose too much power/kite goes belly up..in waves when you loose your bar..

regards basti

Return to “Kitesurfing”