Rhode Island kite freak
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Self-teaching

Postby Rhode Island kite freak » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:11 am

you can teach yourself.
get a good helmet, make sure there is nothing hard downwind, start with a small kite.

lex123
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Narrabeen / Long reef Beach, Sydney, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Narrabeen
Longreef
Style: Wake
Gear: North Team Series 133
North EVO 11 & 7
Brand Affiliation: North and Naish

Postby lex123 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:10 am

Got a wife?
Got kids?

If you answered 'yes' to either of these then don't self teach.........

hahaha but seriously mate, if you really can't find an instructor or experianced kiter to teach you then by all means go for it mate. Just study up on it and take each step very slowly. make sure that the wind conditions are steady and within ur ability + a helmet & a helper is always a good idea if u plan to self teach.

Good luck to you mate

mikewang
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Maui
Style: Pro n00b
Gear: Naish 6m/9m.

Postby mikewang » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:37 am

you can self teach anything, but wouldnt you want to be riding within 1 week? I know people who dick around splashing water for years...ZZzzzzZzzz

your choice.

RichardM
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Northern Orange County
All Los Angeles County
All Ventura County
Some Santa Barbara County
Brand Affiliation: Malibu Kitesurfing
http://www.MalibuKitesurfing.NET
The BEST way to learn kitesurfing !

Postby RichardM » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:16 am

Orion wrote: ....I would like to know if it is possible to learn kitesurfing without taking any lessons, but with the help of educational materials such as books and dvd/video......
JC
Since you're apparently not substantially mentally or physically deficient, the short answer is yes it is possible.

How safe (or dangerous to you and others) and easy (or frustrating and time consuming) it will be compared to taking a certain number of lessons is impossible to judge without knowing a vast amount of detail regarding your particular situation. These two factors translate into risk and unpleasantness.

So it effectively boils down to , how much risk and unpleasantness will you eliminate per dollar spent on lessons and is it worth it. Perhaps lessons are especially expensive where you are. On the other hand, they might be comparatively cheap.

Nobody but you can judge how valuable your dollars are to you. For example, since I have less disposable income than many people, I tend to value my lonely dollars higher than someone with lots of disposable income. You sound like you have a similar attitude in this regard.

On the other hand though, I dislike risk more than many people and put a relatively high value on my recreational (kiting) time.

With the philosophy out of the way, there are some practical things that you should be able to learn to help you analyze the amount of risk and reduce the potential for unpleasantness.

For example:

Can you arrange to learn in an especially safe location?

Can you make sure to learn what specific dangers may be associated with your location(s) and how to mitigate them?

Can you obtain a helmet, impact vest, reliable wind meter, and a reasonably easy to use kite in the proper size to be able to practice in the lowest amount of wind practical?

Can you make sure that all your equipment, and especially your quick releases, have no defects and work properly?

Can you practice activating them until it is automatic (read the thread " Safety Release Reflex (SRR) ")

Can you arrange to have a backup quick release for your quick releases?

Can you arrange to learn in the bottom half of the wind range for your kite (at least until you have a good clue)?

Can you obtain reasonably reliable help and advice for free from local kiters (if you're a hot chick, you'll be able to get lots of other bonuses as well)?

Can you have a helper on hand with medical training? (just kidding, medical training is nice but hopefully unnecessary).

Obviously, a knowledgeable instructor would make obtain the foregoing info etc. a lot easier and faster and the info should be more reliable.

Although wherever you buy your kite might throw in showing you how to land and launch your kite (try to get them to do it, they should know everything about it), being able to land and launch your kite reasonably safely BY YOURSELF is probably the most critical skill you'll need and it might behoove you to get detailed instruction at least for this. At the same time, you might be able to get any specific questions answered which your studying of the above didn't resolve.

Richard M.
Malibu Kitesurfing
(310) - 430 - KITE (5483)
http://www.MalibuKitesurfing.NET
kfRichard@MalibuKitesurfing.NET
The BEST way to learn kitesurfing since 2002 !

Satan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Satan » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:51 pm

Mostly good answers to this thread. As most say, the bottom line is it depends. If your smart and have a safe launch, the answer is yes. A windsurfing background will help a lot. However, most people don't have the common sense to teach themselves. So really, no one can answer this question for you. Remember this sport is A LOT more dangerous then it looks and you can hurt or kill other people with your kite. Sh1t happens.

Before you put up a real kite or take a lesson, make sure you can fly a trainer kite with one hand and your eyes closed. Seriously, you want to be able to to that. Make sure you have full control of the trainer, you can loop it while talking on your mobile phone to a friend. Paying someone to teach you to fly a trainer kite is a wast of time and money. If you go into your first lesson with great kite control you will get a lot more out of it. If you are not taking lessons, it will save you trips to the hospital.

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:34 pm

Lots of good answers here ... I add this link for you .

Hope it helps

http://kitesurfingschool.org/

Saludos

Franz

bavdrftr318
Frequent Poster

Postby bavdrftr318 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:51 pm

I have the exact same background as you do as far as flying 2 and 4 line kites and have self taught myself completely. I did pick up a dvd to figure out how to self rescue and safely release. Alot of safety nazis here but I think you will be fine. Just don't do anything dumb and get around crowds while you are learning.

Safe_Cracker
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Safe_Cracker » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:21 pm

I taught myself kite control and actually flew them since 04 but didn't get on the board until this year. I know it was a long time to wait but I have been busy with work, kids and a PITA wife lol. Kite control is pretty easy to learn through instructional media but when it comes down to the wire and you need to get into the water you will not progress fast at all unless you take classes, trust me. Be sure to get an appropriate size trainer kite as I used an 04 Wipika gear series 9m as my trainer(good deal), even though it is a school kite it is a C and has enough power to beat the daylights out of you. Getting help from others is a great way to learn also but make sure it isn't from the village idiot. Good luck! Polo..

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Assateague National Seashore, Maryland
Gear: Ozone WASP wind wing
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart

Postby Wetstuff » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:41 pm

You could teach yourself anything - almost anything. I would have saved at least one season of getting my azz kicked had I taken proper lessons. ...not some 3-day cram session that are popular at resort areas.

Forget that business about getting a small kite.. Get one suited to your weight and local conditions. A small kite is like this kid thinking Motocross is his next move.

Jim

flyingtrunkie
Frequent Poster

Postby flyingtrunkie » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:11 pm

if you want to teach yourself, like i did, only try and error it in LOW wind situation (max 15 knots with a 12 meter, just enough for staying upwind) and be sure that your downwindspace is big enough, with no abstacles... Good luck. In case of doubt: make it a no go, safety first!

Return to “Kitesurfing”