Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Long term (10 yr+) health effects from kiteboarding impacts?

Forum for kitesurfers
garyb
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Rest Bay, Porthcawl
Favorite Beaches: Kilcummin, Brandon Bay, Co Kerry.
Bellmullet, west coast, Ireland
Mexico's, Gwithian, Cornwall, UK
Style: Waves!
Gear: Ozone C4. 5,7,9 metre
Home built surfboards, 5'6" squash tail surfboard, 5'10" squash tail surfboard, 6'2" bat tail quad. + 5' 4" Underground Freewave
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Long term (10 yr+) health effects from kiteboarding impacts?

Postby garyb » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:08 pm

Since my last post, I've been offered an artificial disc replacement op for C6-C7 disc on the UK NHS. As 5 months of physio/chiropractic help etc hasn't worked I decided it was the best option.
Anyone else out there kiting around with plastic bits in their neck? Just wondering how long I may need to be off the water. I heard recovery is quicker than disc fusion as there is no graft to heal.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Re: Long term (10 yr+) health effects from kiteboarding impacts?

Postby RickI » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:32 pm

Hey Jeffro,

Good to hear from you, takes me way back to the egroups days. Sounds like you've been through the "wars" too. I hear you about "Desire to ride in marginal conditions has dropped tremendously. I used to ride if there was any hint of wind. Now, I just don't want to ride unless the surface conditions are smooth enough, waves are big enough, wind is strong enough. Otherwise, I am bored and feel unchallenged." Picking prime time sessions seems to be a normal tendency, although it took me about eleven years to get to it.

Do you feel there is much cumulative effect on kiting performance and comfort or on life in general from these injuries over time?

I've taken to wearing wakeboarding gloves for extra wrist support following some nasty strains as they heal/stabilize at a snails pace. Gebi's resistance stretching has done them a world of good, but the added support under kiting loads is a good thing. Do any wakestyle kiters use these things? Must be something to it as they've developed a bunch of these for wakeboarders.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Long term (10 yr+) health effects from kiteboarding impa

Postby RickI » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:48 pm

Adding to this thread from last year:
switch313 wrote:ok, well rickl or some other safety dude posted a thread about the sport being new and we really dont know what the long term ill effects of kiteboarding were- some riders said there eyes were going from the sun exposure, bad skin and dodgy knees- pretty standard.
Well to give you my rapid history i have been wakeboarding since the age of 7 and learnt how to kite in 02' and riding like every day. in 07 i became an instructor and rode for at least 3 hours evry windy day and last season i turned what you could call 'semi pro' doing competitions at that level but still working- i upped my riding hours to a dayly minimum of 5 and was living in a place where it was windy EVERY DAY.

Well after repeated hip pains i went for an x-ray and MRI scan, it turns out as a direct result from repeated pressures an impacts opf 40ft jumps wakestyle power moves and riding in bindings my hip ball joint has grown badly, uneven and lumpy and i have the first signs of arthritis at 20!!!!- its caused by kiting mainly and it hurts!!!!!!!!! kiting is bad for you hahahq now my legs are screwed but it was well fun doing it

That is a lot of impact for a 20 year old to be experiencing, sorry to hear about it. Have they talked about surgical options at sometime in the future or is there hope for some relief through PT? Any other younger folks seeing premature arthritis? Some of us, usually older, have spurs and other arthritic activity in our necks likely in part due to chronic whiplash in kiting. On the positive news front, for me anyway, may be seeing some gradual improvement in wrist function after two years. I had about given up on it but was able to fly a larger kite without issues for the first time in about a year this week. Moderation in all things, or else? Who knew but maybe some indications are coming out now.

switch313
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: none i travel.
Favorite Beaches: el medano, sotovento, pounta beach greece, , portland uk, some dominican spots, anywhere flat
Style: wakestyle, power,big air sometimes
Gear: c kites
Brand Affiliation: not really

Postby switch313 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:45 pm

yeah well they can replace the hip evetually but this is not great now as they wear out in 15 years, to be honest im more bummed out that i cant go running the joke was i only noticed real problems because i was runing 30 miles and it felt like it was coming out of place afterwards!

goofyfoot
Rare Poster
Local Beach: kite beach
Favorite Beaches: kite beach
Style: old
Gear: ss

Postby goofyfoot » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:49 am

Physio just discovered my ribcage is twisted.

Kiters have rippling abs but I am suspicious that they are turned on - at the expense of other stabilizing muscles, for too long during kiting.

The sport doesnt need more kite companies it needs more development of the seat harnesses.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:07 pm

I hope the hip replacements are at long intervals and aren't needed all that soon either. I have a younger friend, close to twice your age, who was recently forced to have the first hip replaced. The second day out of surgery, was dismayed to be in pain and lack mobility when compared to hip patients in their 70's. Apparently, the heavier, younger thigh muscle mass took a bit longer to heal initially. Once it started though, it went quite fast. Not sure if this will apply to you but be prepared to be patient as things kick in. The doctors are used to doing these procedures on geriatrics, less so apparently on younger people. Some surgeons are more tuned into younger patients than others.
switch313 wrote:yeah well they can replace the hip evetually but this is not great now as they wear out in 15 years, to be honest im more bummed out that i cant go running the joke was i only noticed real problems because i was runing 30 miles and it felt like it was coming out of place afterwards!

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:11 pm

Not sure if this is a factor in your case or not. Some kiters seem to be prone to rib fracture and connective tissue strain in their rib cage as a function of harness/spreader bar loading. I dinged a rib a while back and started asking and looking around. Sometimes a good wipeout messes things up as in my case although no change in rib cage shape for me or reinjury. There are a LOT of altered rib cages out there. Some guys ding their rib cages regularly resulting in some distortions in overall shape. More at: viewtopic.php?t=2337408
goofyfoot wrote:Physio just discovered my ribcage is twisted.

Kiters have rippling abs but I am suspicious that they are turned on - at the expense of other stabilizing muscles, for too long during kiting.

The sport doesnt need more kite companies it needs more development of the seat harnesses.

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:08 pm

I have suffered from severely damaged ego from blown tricks in the throw-down spectator zone. Takes a long time to recover...

laz
Very Frequent Poster

Postby laz » Sat May 01, 2010 4:53 pm

marijuana helps heal my kite injuries haa

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Sat May 01, 2010 5:11 pm

I would think you guys have been fortunate. Or, have been hitting it less hard for less time. Lots of real injury out there, some of it unexpected, hence this post. Also a lot less fleeting than bruised egos and beyond vanishing in a pot haze. Still, if you guys are staying out of PT and hospital, keep it up. Moderation seems to be key in some cases, even if it seems unnecessary in the short term.

Return to “Kitesurfing”