pbmaniac27
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Bindings, not just a style thing

Postby pbmaniac27 » Wed May 27, 2009 7:46 pm

Right

So the more i ride my bindings the more I like them. For any of you that snowboard it really is like the difference between click in bindings and proper straps or flow bindings. The amount of control you gain is night and day, particularly if you go with stiff bindings. I highly recommend anyone who is working on wakestyle tricks to try them out as you gain so much more board control and confidence in landings. Also obviously dont have to worry about the board flying off.

an extra few minutes on the beach putting my board on saves me so much time body dragging to recover a board i lost using straps. Also allows me to ride a much higher performance board set up.

Anyway this post is really just a recommendation for everyone out there to reconsider bindings if your not all ready riding them since its not only about the image. For anyone who is not just mowing the lawn or boosting old school, the advantages of bindings are truly tremendous.

Bindings take a few days to get used to but once you get them figured out you gain some serious performance benefits. So worth it.

never going back

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Bindings, not just a style thing

Postby Starsky » Wed May 27, 2009 8:12 pm

It's never been about style from a fashion stand point, but about the style that type of set up can impart on your riding.

The weight, stance, and edge control all add up, and the same move done by the same rider in straps and boots comes out quite different. It's easier to learn something in straps, but more fun to do it in boots.

It's always been about the ride.

Welcome

enjoy.
Last edited by Starsky on Wed May 27, 2009 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScottM
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ScottM » Wed May 27, 2009 8:16 pm

the wipeouts are brutal though!! :(

pbmaniac27
Frequent Poster

Postby pbmaniac27 » Wed May 27, 2009 8:24 pm

yeh i know its supposed to be about the style of the tricks in the air, but some people seem might get confused and think its just about the image.

I guess the wipeouts are harder but if your doing everything unhooked they are not that bad. just got to watch for catching your edges.

got to pay your dues

cSuttner
Medium Poster
Local Beach: east beach, leadbetter
Favorite Beaches: C street
Style: wakestyle and kiteloops
Gear: flexifoil ion1 7 and a hadlow pro 11
Brand Affiliation: i am affiliated with flexifoil USA

Postby cSuttner » Wed May 27, 2009 8:30 pm

yeah my first few wipeouts in boots were a bit gnar, but once you learn how to fall properly and stop your board from anchoring then it isnt that bad.

boots are fuuuuun.

voodoospirit
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: alps lakes, alps mountain snowkites

Postby voodoospirit » Wed May 27, 2009 10:02 pm

coming from snowkiting, i m used with bidings and boots and i have troubles to get the "sharp" control with the straps on the water.... and on jumps, losing the board while jumping....new thing for me :)

but i don t see how to put the bindings fast once in the water with the kite at the zenith/ 11h, takes time no? if u have a powerful kite like the speed², u can drift fast downwind (if it s on shore....well....)

dkt
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Delray beach
Favorite Beaches: Delray
Style: wake/ surf/ wakeskate
Gear: Best nemesis
wakeboard
Brand Affiliation: Best kiteboarding

Postby dkt » Wed May 27, 2009 10:35 pm

and that is why you learn to ride 1 handed and tighten your bindings with the other hand
i have liquid force vantages so they are pretty easy to get on and off

kitehok
Medium Poster
Local Beach: TO

Postby kitehok » Wed May 27, 2009 10:58 pm

but i don t see how to put the bindings fast once in the water with the kite at the zenith/ 11h, takes time no?
I use CWB hinge bindings, takes no time at all.

Only annoying thing with boots is how slow the board drifts downwind. Not a problem if you crank your boots on, but I like them to release in a hard bail, ie belly flops and backdrops

Feng
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Franceville, normandie, france
Favorite Beaches: beauduc south of france
Gear: Cab 13 SB, Cab 9 Xbow, Cab 8 2013 SB

Postby Feng » Thu May 28, 2009 1:23 am

Do you have a little video showing how you put your binding when you are close to the shore and how long does it take.

pbmaniac27
Frequent Poster

Postby pbmaniac27 » Thu May 28, 2009 2:43 am

I have d2s which require that i adjust three lace systems, cant really imagine other bindings taking much longer to put on and its REALLY not a problem.

you really do save the time you spent putting the board on in time gained not having to body drag.

I have two approaches.
First approach depower kite and pull in some 5th (5th has really helped me with boots) let it sit in launch position at side of the window with a wing tip in water. let go of bar while hooked in and step into board and do up laces with both hands. Takes about 2 to 3 mins, really no biggy.

Second approach. Use this approach if I cant let the kite sit anywhere. i sit down and put the board infront of me. I then fly the kite one handed and use my free hand to help myself step into the boot. Again no big deal. Takes maybe 5 mins during which I get nice and focused for the session and think about what I want to do and how I want to do it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”