why do people likke pulleys? theyre so gay

peterbjarke
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Slingshot Octane 2010

Postby peterbjarke » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:48 pm

I can see that the Octane is allready out in the UK. Anyone tried it? I am especially interested in feedback about the new bar. It looks really great but is the clam cleat depower also easy to operate?

shymac
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Stevenson Point break; Sandbar HR; 3-mile; Hatch; Mosier; S.beach Newport. Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows, Whistler, Baker, Steamboat.
Favorite Beaches: SOCAL/PNW/HI/BCS/????
Style: Depends on the condition.
Gear: 2012 RPM 4.5/6/7/8/9/10/12/14

Boots/Strapless/Skim/Wakestake/Snowboard
Brand Affiliation: Free Agent

Postby shymac » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:15 pm

Unlike lasts year cleat this year mini cleat still has bite but does not stick as it did with the larger cleat.

Very nice contact and release and doesn't bugger up your CL rope either. :naughty:
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (96.25 KiB) Viewed 1920 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (107.39 KiB) Viewed 1920 times

hugoso
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby hugoso » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:52 pm

Hi Shy,

When are the 2010 Fuels and Octanes on the market in the US? I mean, when are you shipping them out to the retailers?

Thanks.

zloilyoha
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Skadovsk
Favorite Beaches: Karzhyny Skadovsk, Cape Town SA
Style: free
Gear: slingshot, ozone, core

Postby zloilyoha » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:56 pm

hey! shymac, tell me please, can Slingshot guarantee that swivel will work properly during ,at least, really long period ? :jump: peace!

shymac
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Stevenson Point break; Sandbar HR; 3-mile; Hatch; Mosier; S.beach Newport. Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows, Whistler, Baker, Steamboat.

Postby shymac » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:18 pm

hugoso wrote:Hi Shy,

When are the 2010 Fuels and Octanes on the market in the US? I mean, when are you shipping them out to the retailers?

Thanks.
Fuels are in the house but waiting for bars. They should be in by this week. Just the waiting game.

Octanes are on a container in the middle of the Pacific Ocean and should be here by the end of the month if not a bit sooner as long as customs doesn't put a hold on it.

shymac
Very Frequent Poster

Postby shymac » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:11 am

zloilyoha wrote:hey! shymac, tell me please, can Slingshot guarantee that swivel will work properly during ,at least, really long period ? :jump: peace!
I can give you a one year guarantee but that just our standard warranty policy so if anything did happen we got ya covered.
But I can tell you the R&D crew does know the importance of a swivel that works well and not just out of the box but for a extended period of time. The great thing about this swivel is that is flushable thrust bearing. So if it does get bugger up you can clean it out and it will work again and again and again. The only part the customer needs to do is clean their bar once and while. I have been using mine for over 3 months in salt/fresh water smooth/grit sand and the performance of the swivel is still there. I am happy with it and I'm pretty sure you will too. :thumb:
Attachments
4.jpg
4.jpg (78.5 KiB) Viewed 1762 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (81.85 KiB) Viewed 1762 times

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:01 am

That swivel looks purdy darn nice. :thumb:
Especially if it cleans out :thumb:
I wonder if y'all might have had a big enough run to make them available as a "spare" or upgrade to the 09 system
? ?
{ I would be happy to pimp out my 09 bar with that there do-hicky ;) }

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:59 pm

shymac wrote:...
2010 Slingshot Comp Stick bar video.
http://www.vimeo.com/5327617

...I finally got around to watching that video (vimeo blocked at work) and I was surprised that I really like that bar setup! I usually don't like a lot of custom metal, but as usual you guys put something together that is very easy to service and you've provided customized functionality but kept the complexity down. (It may look complex, but when you get into it is minimal and basic static parts).

I like the pulley on the trim line. The current bars can generate a lot of pressure on that trim line when the wind is nuking (and you *need* to pull it in!) That's a great feature to have there. Where some folks don't like pulleys, this one is in kind of a passive area in that you only use it when you trim and even if it were to bind up, you could still trim the kite.

Can you post a picture of the center line safety system deployed? I still don't have a grasp of what happens with the system when the bar slides up the safety line and hits that swivel.

Nice work. :thumb: Can't wait to try it.

GraemeF
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 70kg
Local Beach: Hythe Kent.
Dymchurch Kent
Greatstone Kent
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne Mauritius
Nyali Kenya
Style: Freeriding Ariel Lawnmower
Gear: Core
Brand Affiliation: Core & Sabfoil Distributor

Postby GraemeF » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:21 pm

peterbjarke wrote:I can see that the Octane is allready out in the UK. Anyone tried it? I am especially interested in feedback about the new bar. It looks really great but is the clam cleat depower also easy to operate?
Er... Not quite, we're still at crash test dummy stage.

We have our 2nd Betas.. and are hoping for the same 'float' on landing so we dont keep getting surf boards back in two pieces that totally have NEVER been jumped they just naturally evolve into two pieces once they engage surf.

The first Octane had all that unsupported cloth which as well as being light, and boosting (too high in our opinion)its float was better and softened landings, which given it's a surfy kite we had high expectations of. So now it has the centre strut, which is not totally attached so we're at 'fingers crossed' that none of the excellent flying and landing attributes the first Beta had have not been compromised with the middle strut, it should, it's a fairly thin innocuous strut and everything looks the same. It also definitely needs that strut for relaunch, one of our guys went swimming with the first Beta when it backwinded.. you see the things we do for you ladies..

Any way as I said they're not on general release, just at the dealers and o/ls and the wind here is still iffy.

Return to “Kitesurfing”