Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Rhode Island Kiteboarding

Forum for kitesurfers
Bstevs
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Long Island
Style: Freestyle/Wakestyle
Gear: Airush vapor III 12,10m, Airush FS pro132 board, 2010 Cab Custom140/Ronix Ones
Brand Affiliation: Airush
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Rhode Island Kiteboarding

Postby Bstevs » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:08 am

I go to school in Providence in the fall. Where are the closest places to kite from Providence? I know there are beaches in Newport but thats like a 40 minute drive from the city. Closer the better.

kitekook77
Rare Poster
Gear: 2023 North Orbits
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Rhode Island Kiteboarding

Postby kitekook77 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:15 am

The closest spots to you would be Sabin Point & Conimicut. But just to warn you, no disrespect to the area, but Sabin Point is a shit hole, I would not even want to put my little toe in the water there, pretty polluted beach. Conimicut point park would definitely be my choice over Sabin Point, not the cleanest spot either, but 100 times better than Sabin. If you are willing to travel a little further than Fogland would be the next closest after those two spots, after that you would be looking at Beaches in Newport like 2nd beach which have the no kite before 6pm summer on season rules like a few of the beaches in the area.

After that you are looking at beaches down in the Kingston RI. and Charlestown RI. Area. You have Scarborough Beach near Naragansett, Point Judith which you can't launch from Georges at the beach during the summer, Matunick, East Beach (Ninigret), Watch Hill, and a few others. Then its either the Cape, Boston Northshore area, Nantucket, or Northeastern CT. spots. Overall there are a bit of different places to kite within an hour to 2 hour radius.

Also, not to offend you in anyway and you probably already know this and practice this at your own local spot, but just a word of advice when kiting in RI., Northeastern CT, and the Cape, the golden rule is be respectful to the kiters, windsurfers, authorities etc. you meet here. I am pretty sure you already know this and it is common sense, but I just want to reinforce this. We are actually a pretty small community and everyone in our community pretty much knows each other in one way or another and the word gets around quick, for both negative and positive reasons. Other than that we are actually a pretty open and friendly bunch and get along with each other quite well.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

Bunky
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Hatteras
Style: Wanton kookery
Gear: Naish 12M Boxer SLE; LF Proof 161

Postby Bunky » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:16 pm

I'm thinking about coming up this weekend from DC to visit my folks in RI. I'm a beginner kiteboarder. I've been looking at the Weather on Saturday and it looks mid teens, but gusty (up to 22) ENE. Would Ninigret (Pond) be good in this direction/speed/condition? If so, can anyone point to or provide the local rules/hints for riding there? I checked out Kitebeaches, but didn't get a lot of info on parking/hazards/hints.

Thanks!

reviewoutlaw
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ninagret
Favorite Beaches: Miami
Style: Goofy
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby reviewoutlaw » Mon May 29, 2017 4:42 pm

Here is a Spot i like to go kiteboarding in RI, Watch Hill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhwYLbAJe7E

Onthewater860
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sandy point, napatree, harbor of refuge RI
Style: Free ride
Gear: Slingshot rally 9,12 turbo 17
Placebo 140x43

Postby Onthewater860 » Wed May 31, 2017 1:36 am

Watch hill is an awesome place in the fall and spring. I launch from the beach at the entrance to watch hill harbor if riding the inside or I take my boat and launch from the sand bar, known as sandy point. At one time it was connected to napatree point (watch hill). Point Jude has a lot of regulars in the winter. Summer it's unridable due to beach goers. Ninigret pond looks like a big maybe. No good launch spots w/o drift launching.

I'm still looking for a good spot when the winds east to north. Any suggestions?

ELI
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ELI
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabs,Sling and Custom

Postby ELI » Wed May 31, 2017 3:28 am

I've not been there ...BUT I am thinking of a trip there after some research on wind directions. Horseneck Beach State Park ? East / South East should be side to side off :) . I'm on L.Island

reviewoutlaw
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ninagret
Favorite Beaches: Miami
Style: Goofy
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby reviewoutlaw » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:41 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5iyg8LBGQE