Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Detroit - Metro Beach Free E-Coli For Everyone !

Forum for kitesurfers
flatwater rob
Rare Poster
Local Beach: detroit, jacksonville
Favorite Beaches: sanibel causeway in fort myers, florida
atlantic beach, florida
tiger tail beach, marco island florida
crandon park, miami florida
Style: wave
Gear: best waroo and bularoo
Brand Affiliation: none
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Detroit - Metro Beach Free E-Coli For Everyone !

Postby flatwater rob » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:53 am

Did anyone catch any nasty bacterial or viral infections from Metro beach in the last few weeks? I rode the night of July 28th and on then 30th I came down with explosive diahorrea, strep throat, and massive head/chest congestion. Can't believe I avoided the projectile vomit. Then on August 6th the following was reported by the local news:

"MACOMB COUNTY, Mich. -- Three beaches in Macomb County are closed until further notice because of high levels of E. coli.

The closures include Metro Beach in Harrison Township, Blossom Heath Beach in St. Clair Shores and Memorial Park Beach in St. Clair Shores.

Officials said tests showed Metro Beach had the highest level of E. coli."

I'm thinking there is a pretty high correlation between riding Metro Beach and catching a nasty cold in the middle of the summer. Has anyone else come down with a sudden cold after riding metro beach lately?

Flatwater Rob :duh:

Maxkiter
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Detroit - Metro Beach Free E-Coli For Everyone !

Postby Maxkiter » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:32 am

Pack up your kites and just start driving south.

Jahmi
Frequent Poster

Postby Jahmi » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:43 am

I've been sick from kiting at Metro in the past but not recently. Don't worry though if you marinate in it enough your body will become immune to it.

When it comes to ridding Metro and if you plan on being a regular there are three things you need to come to terms with.

1) You will get sick from the bacteria in the water. ( There's a reason we call it the poo poo tank. )
2) You will put a kite in a tree while walking out.
3) You are going to get dragged around the grass area where we launch kites. Sometimes the wind does a circular thing in that area and you have no control over the kite.

BTW... Metro is the poster child of the worse possible place to ride from. Sheltered launch blocking the wind and hot launching is widely acceptable there. Once your kite is up you must walk it at 12 o'clock between trees with just enough space to fit the kite through. On shore winds is considered the best wind direction. The shore line is piled high broken concrete and the water quality is about the same as a dirty toilet.

flatwater rob
Rare Poster
Local Beach: detroit, jacksonville
Favorite Beaches: sanibel causeway in fort myers, florida
atlantic beach, florida
tiger tail beach, marco island florida
crandon park, miami florida
Style: wave
Gear: best waroo and bularoo
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby flatwater rob » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:15 am

MaxKiter - As I'm now marinating in the "poo" from St. Clair I'm longing for riding off the beaches in Jacksonville (Huegonot and Atlantic Beach). So don't tempt me cause I might move back. Had I not learned in Florida where I fell in love with the slicks of tidal pools and the waves of a Northeaster I'm not sure if I could keep going given some of the conditions (bacteria, trees, broken concrete, etc.) here in Detroit. Certainly its not an ideal spot to fall in love with kiting, but "love is love."

Jahmi - Thanks for succinctly stating the facts about Metro Beach. So far I'm only 1 for 3 at Metro. I've also ridden Harstens Island, Belle River, and Mitchell's Bay. They're all filled with their challenges although none have the septic black sledge that you have to wade through up to your knees before you can even get to the toiler water. As if kiting wasn't already exposing us to enough risk. E-Coli is just another one for everyone to consider.

Now where's that amoxicillin?

Jahmi
Frequent Poster

Postby Jahmi » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:37 am

Rob we have world class slicks you just need to know where they are. I'm not sure if we have met yet but ask around for me and I'll clue you in outside of the public forum.

Here's simple pic of one of our slicks.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:45 am

Jahmi wrote:I've been sick from kiting at Metro in the past but not recently. Don't worry though if you marinate in it enough your body will become immune to it.

When it comes to ridding Metro and if you plan on being a regular there are three things you need to come to terms with.

1) You will get sick from the bacteria in the water. ( There's a reason we call it the poo poo tank. )
3) You are going to get dragged around the grass area where we launch kites. Sometimes the wind does a circular thing in that area and you have no control over the kite.

BTW... Metro is the poster child of the worse possible place to ride from. Sheltered launch blocking the wind and hot launching is widely acceptable there. Once your kite is up you must walk it at 12 o'clock between trees with just enough space to fit the kite through. On shore winds is considered the best wind direction. The shore line is piled high broken concrete and the water quality is about the same as a dirty toilet.
Just a suggestion.... on the opposite side of the Lake St. Clair in Canada eh... it is a standing rule not to launch your kite on the land. It is required we walk out and either drift launch or find someone to assist us. Attempting a land launch is a quick way to being asked to leave the launch and you certainly don't want to piss of the locals. Might be a great way for you to preserve your access!

Sincerely

Pete

Jahmi
Frequent Poster

Postby Jahmi » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:21 am

Just a suggestion.... on the opposite side of the Lake St. Clair in Canada eh... it is a standing rule not to launch your kite on the land. It is required we walk out and either drift launch or find someone to assist us. Attempting a land launch is a quick way to being asked to leave the launch and you certainly don't want to piss of the locals. Might be a great way for you to preserve your access!

Piss off the locals? I am a local and that's how it's done! :D :D :D

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:58 am

Jahmi wrote:Just a suggestion.... on the opposite side of the Lake St. Clair in Canada eh... it is a standing rule not to launch your kite on the land. It is required we walk out and either drift launch or find someone to assist us. Attempting a land launch is a quick way to being asked to leave the launch and you certainly don't want to piss of the locals. Might be a great way for you to preserve your access!

Piss off the locals? I am a local and that's how it's done! :D :D :D
Well it seems we agree then, so why are there so many people faced the challenges of your earlier post
BTW... Metro is the poster child of the worse possible place to ride from. Sheltered launch blocking the wind and hot launching is widely acceptable there. Once your kite is up you must walk it at 12 o'clock between trees with just enough space to fit the kite through
Hot launching in an area where the wind is unpredictable and you are surrounded by trees and slabs of cement? Certainly doesn't sound like a great idea... you guys may want to rethink what is widely acceptable. :P

Jahmi
Frequent Poster

Postby Jahmi » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:51 pm

I'm not trying to defend the place and say it's ok. I'm just stating the facts of how it is and trying to give a new guy a heads up on what to expect. Over the years attempts have been made to change the way things are done around there but they never seem to gain any support.

kylek
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Metro, Kobyashi
Favorite Beaches: Guajiru, Salvo
Gear: old north stuff

Postby kylek » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:51 pm

flat rob,

no issues for me. it was so good monday that i just stayed out there and only stopped to rehydrate with a couple of gulps of bowl water.

Metro is tha shit!

not sure bout all the yahoo hot launches though...

Return to “Kitesurfing”