Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Bermuda - Any current info on kiteboarding there?

Forum for kitesurfers
Wind Runner
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Emerald Isle, Indian Beach, Bogue Sound, Cape Lookout, all in NC
Style: Back and forth
Gear: Slingshot Rally 7, 9, Switch Nano 12, Slingshot Turbine 15
Misfit 136, 146
Ocean Rodeo Mako 140, 150
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Bermuda - Any current info on kiteboarding there?

Postby Wind Runner » Wed May 16, 2018 8:52 pm

Bringing this old thread back to life... I've never been to Bermuda, but may be going in early July for a family trip. Is there any consistent wind then and what direction is best? Which side or part of the island would have the best chance of wind then? FWIW, we're looking at the Pink Beach area (The Loren), Elbow Beach, or the west side near Hog Bay (Pompano Beach Club). Any current feedback on those areas or resorts?

dtj2nuva
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Outer Banks, NC USA
Favorite Beaches: Hatteras, NC USA
Gear: Shift
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby dtj2nuva » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:24 am

Hello! I'm also wondering about the kiting scene in Bermuda - did you get any action out there and do you have any recommendations? I'm looking to go in February if it's not too cold. Cheers

IWB2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby IWB2 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:40 pm

Dtj2nuva, Winds are normally great in February. Winds can range from 10-40+ knots. Elbow beach on the south side of the island and Somerset Long bay on the north side of the island are the two main kiting spots. A full wetsuit would be recommended 4-5mil.

Wind Runner
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Emerald Isle, Indian Beach, Bogue Sound, Cape Lookout, all in NC
Style: Back and forth
Gear: Slingshot Rally 7, 9, Switch Nano 12, Slingshot Turbine 15
Misfit 136, 146
Ocean Rodeo Mako 140, 150

Postby Wind Runner » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:30 pm

dtj2nuva wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:24 am
Hello! I'm also wondering about the kiting scene in Bermuda - did you get any action out there and do you have any recommendations? I'm looking to go in February if it's not too cold. Cheers
Yes, I kited while I was there, but only 1 time and not at a great location (which was expected, so totally my doing). I brought my equipment in a golf style bag, but knowing that I would have very limited opportunities to kite because of the length of the trip, family, the resort where I stayed, etc.

I didn't make it to Elbow Beach, Somerset, or any of the "official spots". Instead, I kited right from our resort called the Pompano Beach Club. It was a very sketch launch and I am probably one of the only people to ever kite there (except I was told that some locals may kite there from a boat). The water and shoal was gorgeous, but there's virtually no beach there and on that particular day the wind was SSE or so, which while ok for launching made it very sketchy because there's really nothing downwind of you until you hit Nova Scotia or something... so of course I had spotters and was very careful (no real jumping or risk of losing board etc). That made it not the best session in the world, but I can now say I kited in Bermuda!

Here are some pics that show the tiny beach, how I body dragged out to the wind line, and landing the kite in knee deep water (then I floated with the kite along the shore back to the beach.

You can also find some Bermuda kiting videos on youtube if you search enough.
Attachments
GP040083-1.jpg
GOPR0083-5.jpg
GOPR0083-1.jpg
GOPR0083.jpg

gqgadson
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Nahant
Dorado Beach
Revere
Favorite Beaches: Dorado
Mauritius
Dakhla
Nantucket-Pocomo and Jettys
Gear: Duotone
Been thanked: 0

Postby gqgadson » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:08 pm

I am thinking of heading to Bermuda next week. Any information on what is a good wave spot? Also, is cambridge beaches a good spot?

Thanks

Return to “Kitesurfing”