Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Bermuda - Any current info on kiteboarding there?

Forum for kitesurfers
adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Bermuda - Any current info on kiteboarding there?

Postby adamj2281 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:54 pm

I'm looking into going to Bermuda sometime in the July - October timeframe this year. I'm looking to kiteboard while still having a nice place for the wife. I've searched the forums and internet, and found a few places, but it looks like 9 Beaches would be really nice.

Here's the link: http://9beaches.com/

It's out on the western edge and appears to have beaches in pretty much every wind face. There used to be a kiteboarding school there back in '05 it appears from what I've found on this site and the internet. Does anyone have any current info on that area?

waterrat
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Daniel's Head / Somerset Long Bay
Elbow Beach
Shelly Bay
Favorite Beaches: Daniel's Head
Cadiz Beach (off season)
Tabia
Style: freeride
Gear: 08 Waroo
06 Nemesis
141 X-Ride
131 Drive
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bermuda - Any current info on kiteboarding there?

Postby waterrat » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:23 pm

Yeah there used to be a kite school there - I was a former employee too, but no longer. The location was given to a dive center and we were all canned...sucks but 9 beaches is close to a good beach to kite from when the wind blows out the north...problem is between June and October, the wind's predominantly S-SW, and in all honesty last year from June to about September we were skunked for wind. I'd suggest coming closer to October, it's still plenty warm (we don't really get fall), but October will definately have more wind than June-Sept. I'd recommend staying Southapton Princess if ya ballin', or any of the cheaper guest houses on the South Shore side of the island mate. And if you need lessons/gear rental check www.bka.bm - Simon's a good guy and used to be the owner of the kite school at 9beaches, so has all gear for rent.

Hope that helps.

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD

Postby adamj2281 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:33 am

Cool thanks, yeah I'll bring my gear and don't need lessons or anything, just looking for some nice uncrowded flat water and waves, you know what everyone wants.

I thought it would be really cool to stay at 9 Beaches for a couple of nights and wake up jump off the porch and go kite. I'm probably going for my anniversary trip which is the 2nd week in October, we almost went to Bermuda for our honeymoon, but went to Maui instead. I'm looking for a shorter trip this time around.

How is Elbow Beach?

mv
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mv » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:37 am

I lived in Bermuda in the early 90's for 2 years, this was before kitesurfing. I mostly did SCUBA diving, skim boarding, and sailing in those days. I have always wanted to go back with my kite and try out some of the beaches I used to frequent.

AmericanRonin
Medium Poster
Local Beach: New Hampshire Seacoast
Favorite Beaches: Silver Sands, Barbados. Cabarete. Corpus Christi.
Style: Wave Rider
Gear: 6' Crazyfly Strapless, BWS TDZ

Postby AmericanRonin » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:29 am

I've done some research on going to Bermuda myself, though I've not personally been. From what I've discovered, there're a few places to kiteboard there, but they want you to have insurance. The wind's usually pretty reliable closer to the fall. And if you're traveling for a budget, look elsewhere. Bermuda's expensive as hell.

waterrat
Rare Poster
Elbow Beach
Shelly Bay
Cadiz Beach (off season)
Tabia
06 Nemesis
141 X-Ride
131 Drive

Postby waterrat » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:05 am

Elbow beach is cool - won't get flat water...at low tide it's spaced little chop, so nice to launch yaself off of, and past the breaker you can find some pretty big swells, but again bigger in the winter. Not sure what Elbow's charging - Bermuda is expensive, but part of that hotel is shut for rennovations, think all the villas and bungalows are open so they maybe cheaper than the other big hotels...does have a sweet private beach to launch from.
Never heard about this insurance thing that guy mentioned...I'm a local and don't have any kite specific insurance personally and think most of us are in the same boat except a couple of IKO instructors. I will agree with the fact that Bermuda's not cheap, I have no comparison for you - but it's cheaper than Miami (speaking from personal experience as I just got back). Hotels are pricey and food's like 'big city' prices as we're an island and most food is imported - but if the fish is local and fresh it's good value for money.
Either way - happy kiting mate.

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD

Postby adamj2281 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:03 am

Yeah I'm aware of the cost, waterrat, do you have any info on 9 Beaches, seems like it would be cool, how reliable is the wind in October at Elbow Beach? How's the water/air temp?

How many riders are generally out on a good day?

Thanks

waterrat
Rare Poster
Elbow Beach
Shelly Bay
Cadiz Beach (off season)
Tabia
06 Nemesis
141 X-Ride
131 Drive

Postby waterrat » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:22 pm

Think the going rate is starts round $200 a night, but the whole tourism industry down here is hitting rock bottom (but being more than replaced by international business if anyone cares), so I'm pretty sure if you call the place and ask for some package deal, or smooth talk a receptionist they'll cut a deal - that place was never busy, and October I highly doubt they'll be anywhere near capacity...the acting GM's a guy named Robin Gilbert if ya feel like name dropping - nice guy, probably could negotiate with him directly if front desk is being less than helpful - which is a possibility...when I worked at surfshack down there that place's staff had a pretty lax attitude when it came to guest service, but it's supposed to be better now - and that GM does want business.
This October I say I averaged 3 sessions a week - and I work full-time so a holidayer should've faired better...low-20s on avg (knots) so anywhere from a 11 - 14m and ya should be good to go. This year winter came a bit early so towards the middle-to-end there were a few 35knt days. It probably was predominantly SW in October, so I'd say most of the kiting was done at Elbow. Wind switches to the North more towards winter which is when it kicks off at Daniels Head (9beaches).
Not too many kiters on an average day - most guys out here work full-time so week-ends its fairly busy, and then there are addicts like me that'll bust out 6am sessions before work, but that's a rare breed here. You might catch 15 kites on Elbow on a packed day (bermuda's a pretty tiny well kept secret), but as the beaches here are relatively small (Elbow's not, but 9 beaches actually has 9 tiny lil' beaches) it does get kind of crowded in the places that are best to kite with that many - especially throwing in beginners. But it's a big ocean at the end of the day.
Water temp is board shorts in October...80 at the start and mid 70's by the end - it's still only about 66ish but that's too cold for me so it's wetsuit time now.

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD

Postby adamj2281 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:14 am

Cool, I think I'm going either to Bermuda in the 2nd week or so in October or Barbados later in the year. It looks like from Google Earth that a S/SW would work on the southern side of 9 Beaches, it would be direct onshore, but seems like it would still work. Regardless, I'm thinking about splitting time between Elbow Beach and 9 Beaches. Seems like it would be a pretty cool spot if the wind is on.

Thanks for the info

GreenOnGreen
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Walnut Beach Milford CT
Style: Freestyle
Gear: North Fuse Kites
Liquid Force and Crazyfly Twin Tip Boards

Postby GreenOnGreen » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:22 pm

Just got back from a trip to Bermuda...
Was an August trip and I was happy to get a lot of wind, which is not that common in August. I researched a lot online before going and didn't see mention of Shelly Bay Beach, so I wanted to throw some info at this thread. Shelly is good with west winds. It's a kind of tight spot there, especially if a lot of kiters show up, but it did the trick when Long Bay wasn't getting clean wind at all and Elbow was not an option. I hear the far side of Daniel's Head (9 beaches) is decent in a west wind too, but it's kind of a ghost town over there right now with the old resort in decay.

Return to “Kitesurfing”