Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: UK
Gear: North 7, 9, 12, 15
Brand Affiliation: None

Mauritius advice please...

Postby pablo79 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:38 am

Hi all,

First post here and a couple of questions about kiting in Mauritius, for anyone that's been. I’m heading over on the 25th Dec. I’m not going just to kite as I know it’s off season for wind, but I’m taking my kit in case any opportunities come up, so might get a few hours in here and there. I’m staying in a couple of different places and have questions about kiting in those areas…

- La Gaulette/Le Morne
I’m staying in La Gaulette for the first 4 nights so will head to Kite Lagoon at Le Morne. Is the beach in front of kite lagoon public? What’s access like? Can I just launch on the beach?

- Anse la Raie
Second location is Pereybere in the north east. No kiting here but Anse la Raie isn’t far and we have a car. Same questions… Is the beach public? What’s access like? Can I just launch on the beach?

As I won't be getting lessons or renting equipment, I want to make sure it's ok to rock up and go. I've contacted a couple of local kite schools to ask these questions but no reply. Looking at the wind at this time of year I don’t think I’ll need my 7, so I’m taking a 9, 12 and 15m and my twin tip.

Many thanks.

Kitemanmuc
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone, Moses, SU2, RideEngine

Re: Mauritius advice please...

Postby Kitemanmuc » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:39 pm

Hey, only have experience at Le Morne.

You can rock up at the beach at the tip and kite One Eye or you can go to the kite lagoon and cruise the lagoon. Both spots are public.

pablo79
Rare Poster

Postby pablo79 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:48 pm

Litsupplyco wrote:Hey, only have experience at Le Morne.

You can rock up at the beach at the tip and kite One Eye or you can go to the kite lagoon and cruise the lagoon. Both spots are public.
Great, thanks for that!

mrbig
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Langebaan, Cape Town
Gear: Cabrinha mostly

Postby mrbig » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:35 am

pablo79 wrote:
Litsupplyco wrote:Hey, only have experience at Le Morne.

Great, thanks for that!

Thinking of spending a few weeks in Mauritius June/July
Would be interested in feedback on your experience ?

pablo79
Rare Poster

Postby pablo79 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:03 am

mrbig wrote:Thinking of spending a few weeks in Mauritius June/July
I only managed to kite at Le Morne, as there was so much other stuff to do. However, it was good. The wind consistently blew harder than forecast, and the water was warm and shallow. Not gusty unless closer to the mountain.

It was a little crowded. Lots of beginners and kite schools closer to the water's edge. I found it was best to tack out back and play away from everyone else. the launch/land area is quite small, and it's fine if you know what you're doing. I was nearly taken out by someone deathlooping from the water into the parking area, but fortunately dodged that and the person being dragged got his kite lines snagged on a post which stopped the kite, luckily for him!

I didn't try kiting in the north. There looked to be some nice spots just east of Le Morne... much quieter too, although the water disappeared at low tide. I only drove by so didn't get to kite, but some people were out.

If you surf waves with your kite, I've never seen anywhere like it. The surf was huge and there were some seriously good kiters there. My balls weren't big enough!

I took a 9, 12 and 15m. I only used the 9.

mrbig
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan, Cape Town
Gear: Cabrinha mostly

Postby mrbig » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:26 am

Awesome thanks man! I only ride twintip so will mostly look for flatwater.
Thinking of 2-3 weeks early June. Will probably keep things flexible and start in Le Morne area. Perhaps get a place in La Gaulette wand see how it goes from there.
I was checking the WindGuru archives for last June and it seems like a mixed bag. Most days up to 20 knots with some topping out at 15knots... Not many windfree days though.
Will probably take a 14m, 11m and 9m + perhaps 7m for the wife. Depends whether she gets up and riding before then =)

pablo79
Rare Poster

Postby pablo79 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:20 pm

mrbig wrote:Awesome thanks man! I only ride twintip so will mostly look for flatwater.
Thinking of 2-3 weeks early June. Will probably keep things flexible and start in Le Morne area. Perhaps get a place in La Gaulette wand see how it goes from there.
I was checking the WindGuru archives for last June and it seems like a mixed bag. Most days up to 20 knots with some topping out at 15knots... Not many windfree days though.
Will probably take a 14m, 11m and 9m + perhaps 7m for the wife. Depends whether she gets up and riding before then =)
That's a good option. I rented an apartment on Airbnb in La Gaulette (about £100 a night, 2 bedroom, pool) and drove to the kite spot, which is 5 mins away. It was always windier than forecast by 5-8kts... thermal acceleration, according to the locals.

It's good for twin-tip riding. Take something for your feet as there's lots of coral, even in the shallow areas.

Onda
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: North Sea (NL)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Watergate Bay, Daymer Bay (UK)
La Torche (FR)
Style: strictly unstrapped
Gear: Ozone

Postby Onda » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:53 pm

Hi all,
I´ll be on Mauritius mid/end June - can´t wait really :D
Will be on surfboard only.... hopefully swell will stay small enough :roll:
Any experiences and/or recommendations with regards to dangerous sealife (stonefish & Co)? Or mosquitos (Dengue & Chikungunya)? Best repellents against mosquitos?
Any particular recommendations for wave spots other than Le Morne, maybe with non-offshore winds and less-than-very-dangerous reefbreaks?

Hope to meet someone down there!

Best, Chris

vannibombonato
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008

Postby vannibombonato » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:40 pm

Onda wrote: Hi all,
I´ll be on Mauritius mid/end June - can´t wait really :D
Will be on surfboard only.... hopefully swell will stay small enough :roll:
Any experiences and/or recommendations with regards to dangerous sealife (stonefish & Co)? Or mosquitos (Dengue & Chikungunya)? Best repellents against mosquitos?
Any particular recommendations for wave spots other than Le Morne, maybe with non-offshore winds and less-than-very-dangerous reefbreaks?

Hope to meet someone down there!

Best, Christ
Hi there,
Chiming in just to share an obvious warning on a crazingly bad situation I stumbled while in Le Morne and while trying to earn a Darwin Award.
I was acting stupid and basically trying to learn wave on one of the spots...I really wanted to give it a go and was like "if I don't try it here i never do it". not only did I continuously wipe out ruining others Waves, but most importantly, after two hours I was exhausted and was heading back to the beach. I smartly decided to "cut" through shallow water above the reef...guess what, my surfboard leash, while dragging underwater, got stuck in a coral...and I crashed face down. No big issue right? Just relaunch and ride away...but it wasn't my day (and I did my best to hurt myself to be honest...). So I find myself stretched in Superman position with kite inverted in the water pulling heavily right in the power zone, and leg blocked by the leash. Didn't want to release the leash and lose he board, so I hit the QR planning to simply untangle the leash from the coral and body drag away. Obviously while doing all of this I am basically turning into a bloody mess from scratches all over the body (no big issue, but it kinds of make you smile to realize you are in the Indian Ocean acting as a bloody fish bait...but I took it with a smile thinking "today God gave you a lesson, learn from it. Just get back on shore and have a beer").

So I release, the pull stops and...I carefully get on my feet to untangle and drag away. And guess what? Bang...I feel something pinching through my foot. Now that did hurt...I knew it could be two things, either a sea urchin or a stonefish. So I enter in true emergency mode, untangle, re-attach the QR and drag away. All this lasted something like 15mins, at that point I had signaled a guy riding nearby to ask for help and a small boat arrived to rescue).
So here I am on the boat on the 10 min ride back to the beach...and the question on urchin/stonefish get answered as the feet starts hurting like crazy. 30 mins later I was on a taxi riding to a hospital, at that point the foot was like a basketball, and the pain was like stupidly freaking crazy. It was almost funny as I didn't really think a 90kg guy could die from a stonefish (it happens but with kids or allergic reaction), but I was like "give me a freaking antivenom". At the second hospital I went, it was almost an hour and a half after the fact they did have the antivenom and from there it went downhill...I ended up in a super nice hospital in one of the major cities, staid there 24 hours, and spent the next week with my basketball sized foot on a wheelchair.

So to cut it short my lesson was:
- yes the stonefish exist
- no it's not a real danger, because you need to be a complete, hopeless idiot to end up where I ended up.
- want to learn waves? Take lessons.
- that Mauritian hospital was the best hospital I've ever seen...

The place is beautiful, enjoy!

bigtone667
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Umina Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, lawn mowing
Gear: BRM Cloud C2's, D's

Slingshot Skim Board, North Surfboards, BRM Paipo, Shinn Shinnster/Jackson, Firewire Boards, CrazyFly Doors, Zeeko Carver/Spitfire Foils, Naish Hover 155, Naish Thrust Surf Foil, Konrad Foil

Postby bigtone667 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:11 pm

Do you need a wetsuit in June?

Return to “Kitesurfing”