Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Pro surfer Danny Wills up & kiting in 2 hours

Forum for kitesurfers
PAFF
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Frestyle and waves. Always unhookt
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot-Naish-Cabrinha-North-Best-Surftech.

Re: Pro surfer Danny Wills up & kiting in 2 hours

Postby PAFF » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:06 am

Dave K wrote:Many of the new kiters I saw back in 1999 to 2001 were aggresive windsurfers, wakeboarders, surfers, etc, and transitioned quickly, especially with the big "Skypirate" type directional boards back then. One 2 hr lesson on a two line Wipika and you were set to progress on your own. Very different typical student these days.

True...

baller
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby baller » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:32 am

katrine1000 wrote:you guys are just jealous that mr. cutey-pie pro surfer willis got it after 2hours :P
Uh - seriously? I had a fantastic instructor who is now my closest friend. He will spend your 1st 3-4 hour lesson on the beach - doesn't matter how "natural" you are - this is essential to keep you safe. Second lesson is 3-4 hours body dragging. If you are amazing, he might give you a board on this lesson. 3rd lesson is your board day.

Kiting is an easy sport, and pretty much 90% of his riders will waterstart and ride on day 3 or 4. Most importantly - they ALL understand the power of the kite, and safe kite flying even when being dragged across the ocean.

Sure, this guy waterstarted and rode a bit, but his kite flying sucks... 2 hour training is what gives our sport a bad rep! and sometimes gets people hurt.

skerrj
Rare Poster
Local Beach: lake isabella
Favorite Beaches: ca coast, maui
Style: cruise
Gear: directionals, neos

Postby skerrj » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:24 am

can you say "sandbag"?

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:35 am

Very different typical student these days.
apparently.
It seems the main question on forums is about how much depower the kites have....
I still say,
if you can't get going in the first attempt, quit.
It's not an extreme sport, but it's a sport for people that can swim like a fish and have exceellent balance.
Surfing ought to be a pre-requisite.

marshall10488
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Flyboards

Postby marshall10488 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:52 am

baller wrote:
katrine1000 wrote:you guys are just jealous that mr. cutey-pie pro surfer willis got it after 2hours :P
Uh - seriously? I had a fantastic instructor who is now my closest friend. He will spend your 1st 3-4 hour lesson on the beach - doesn't matter how "natural" you are - this is essential to keep you safe. Second lesson is 3-4 hours body dragging. If you are amazing, he might give you a board on this lesson. 3rd lesson is your board day.

Kiting is an easy sport, and pretty much 90% of his riders will waterstart and ride on day 3 or 4. Most importantly - they ALL understand the power of the kite, and safe kite flying even when being dragged across the ocean.

Sure, this guy waterstarted and rode a bit, but his kite flying sucks... 2 hour training is what gives our sport a bad rep! and sometimes gets people hurt.
not a very addaptive teaching style here, which is the most important thing as an instructor to addapt how you are teaching to suit every individuals way of learning and their progression.

3rd day till you get a board? either doing short lessons or isn't in high demand. we spend the first 4 hours (first day) on the beach with approx 1hour of theory (normally slightly longer) then the rest is getting confidence with the kite. it doesn't matter what manovers people can do with the kite if they are not confident with it they will never get on the board. Wills seemed very confident when flying it. his relaunch goes right through the middle of the window and he doesn't pull the bar, lock up or panic.
2nd day is spent on the water with the first half body dragging and second half on the board. How quickly someone picks up kiting is mainly down to the combination of focus and the right type of instruction. instructors should know about teaching psychology so they use the right commands and instructions.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:52 am

3-4 hour lesson on the beach

for real - that would put most people off lol

sell em a trainer kite - tell em to fly it 10 times.......

i try not to fly a full size lei kite on the beach if i am teaching

pdkite
Frequent Poster
Style: balls to the wall. don't hold back
Gear: 2006 Airush Lift 10m and 12m
2007 Liquid Force Recoil 130 x 39

Postby pdkite » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:13 am

i was up and riding in less than 2 hours. so was my dad. first lesson riding, right after body dragging. whats the big deal?

i'm all for individual progression eh like some people take longer than others, and that's cool. i don't know what all the fuss is about.

i met a kiter (he was a bow slingin yuppie tho) who couldn't swim once. how about swimming lessons as a prerequisite?

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:45 am

I came from landboarding.

I was up and going 20 mins after walking into the water.

what do I win??

nothing..

bah!

baller
Frequent Poster

Postby baller » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:47 am

longwhitecloud wrote:3-4 hour lesson on the beach

for real - that would put most people off lol

sell em a trainer kite - tell em to fly it 10 times.......

i try not to fly a full size lei kite on the beach if i am teaching
90% of the riders at my home spot are trained by this individual, and he is known as a primary school for two of the largest kite mfrs. As a result, it is the safest group I have every seen, with a high standard of riding. I've kited in 6-8 locales around the world, and observed hundreds of instructors. Schools are under pressure to cut kiters loose way too soon, and the kite skills learned in those 1st days are essential to kick the bad habits before they become ingrained. Honestly, when I travel I am a bit shocked by the poor kite skills of the average rider, and I've yet to take a kite trip when I didn't see someone get dragged and injured.

baller
Frequent Poster

Postby baller » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:10 pm

baller wrote: 90% of the riders at my home spot are trained by this individual, and he is known as a primary school for two of the largest kite mfrs.
I might add that numerous well known industry pro send their friends and families quite a long way to be introduced to kiting by this guy.

Return to “Kitesurfing”