Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Can a 12m Speed 3 Deluxe replace a 10 and 13m Lei??

Forum for kitesurfers
craigT
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Can a 12m Speed 3 Deluxe replace a 10 and 13m Lei??

Postby craigT » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:51 pm

Firstly I want to say that my new Flysurfer Speed 3 19m Deluxe is awesome. I've had it out 3 times now, twice in very low wind and once in 10-14Knots, in this range it's mega. I had a great day on Friday being the only one able to get out the back (wind was straight onshore) while everyone else struggled to go upwind.

I got the 13.5 Naish Cult out on that same afternoon, thinking the wind had picked up a bit and was really disappointed with how “hard” it all seamed. Comparing them back to back the Cults are awesome kites and I’ve really enjoyed learning on them. As I progress I’m sure they would come into there own especially when the wind is stronger…but the Speed 3 is very easy and soft to use has lots and lots of plus points. Pumping up the 13.5 after throwing the 19 in the air was just silly for one.

I had such a good (read easy) day on the Speed 3 that this has got me thinking...

…and don’t everyone slate the foils just cos you haven’t used one yet, everyone does this until they try it for themselves (or watch one being re launched easily from the water or flying upwind/jumping when there are stood on the beach). I know the Cults and the Speed 3’s are very different kites meant for different styles but, here is the question…………………….or questions!

Should I sell the 10.5 and 13.5 Cults and buy a 12m Speed 3 Deluxe?
Can the 12m cover the wind range of the 10.5 and 13.5?
Am I just very confused and need professional help?????

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post! I've just read it back and it's a bit poo but hopefully I've gotten my point across!

My skill level is IKO 3 and I'm just starting to practice some proper jumps. I enjoy watching all of the new freestyle moves but can’t see myself ever getting that technical. The best video I’ve seen in a long time was Volare by Gunnar,
http://vimeo.com/10028551
(that probably makes me biased to the FS kites but I love the styles in that film and would love to be able get to that level)

BTW I will keep the 7.5 Cult for those very occasional high wind days so I don’t miss out.

overboard
Medium Poster

Re: Can a 12m Speed 3 Deluxe replace a 10 and 13m Lei??

Postby overboard » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:16 pm

The Speed3 Delux 12m goes well with the 19m Delux which is the basis of my quiver. For higher winds I have a Psycho 4 8m and for ballistic winds a Psycho 3 6m which so far I have not had to use as the other three cover most conditions. Unfortunately I cannot comment on the wind range of your Naish Cults.

herculon
Medium Poster
Local Beach: steinhuder meer
Baltic sea: Rostock Warnemünde

Postby herculon » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:07 pm

for any wind higher than 12 knots, i would choose a lower aspect kite.
also there is no need for "deluxe" fabric. what about a 12sqm pulse II (very soon a pulse III)?

or my suggestion: a 12sqm / 15 sqm peter lynn charger. no pump also, and it turns extremely fast and has no bridles that stretch over time. perfect kite for anything > 12 knots with a huge windrange. people fly the 15sqm charger up to 22 knots or more...
btw, a charger cost half of a flysurfer.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:02 pm

The Cult and the Speed are two very different kites.

The Cults are popular here with some of the best wave riders. They are low aspect ratio and very good when riding down the line chasing the kite throwing the kite around the wind window.

The Speed 3 is a high aspect ratio kite with variable projected aspect ratio.
It has a huge range thanks to the triple depower system.

Where the Speed 12m will excell over the Cult is ease of use, upwind ease of use and floaty jumps. Even though you have the Speed 3 19m for really low wind it is still worth getting the Speed 3 12m in the delux edition, becasue the lighter fabric makes the kite more forgiving and a bit more nimle and fast.

As far as overall range goes The Speed 3 12m has huge range, but I'm guessing that the Cult 10m in expert hands could handle a bit more than the Speed 3 12m, but at that point you would be better off with your 7.5 anyway.

I have used the Speed 3 12m in the surf and it is very intresting. a great park and surf kite.
It also works up the line going upwind really nicely. For more of a kite chasing technique I prefer the Psycho 4, but it's a bit of a technical kite to fly... not for everyone... It's my favorite though.

I would say that if you like big floaty jumps, a very forgiving and smooth kite you'll be very happy with the Speed 3 `12m.

Cheers

Fred

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:45 pm

Right said, Fred. Very different kites. Completely opposite in fact. I would probably keep one of the cults because there may be a time when you prefer the lower aspect kite. The speed will easily cover the Cult's range if conditions are right but for example in higher winds with waves you might be happier with the Cult because you can more easily sail with a lower board speed.

Jake

mountainkiter
Rare Poster

Postby mountainkiter » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:17 am

I can only add that i have the 12m Speed3 serial (standard fabric) and it is my favorite kite. I think it would replace the other kites. I haven't flown the deluxe 12m to compare side by side, but if you are a early intermediate, i don't think you could tell the difference and the standard will be slightly more durable for crashes, and less cash, but if you can afford it go for the deluxe. I think the difference between the kites is one kilogram of flying weight, but for the 12 likely not a different wind range or low end, especially if you already have the 19m deluxe. . The deluxe would be better at floating and drifting with the wind when riding waves going downwind, but the standard speed 3 is still lighter than most all LEI's. I have a pulse 12 and never have an impulse to pull it out of the bag over the speed. Maybe a pulse3 12, but currently the depower is not as good as the speed, and the speed is actually more stable. Pulse is slight easier for relaunch. If you like the great depower and soft landings of the 19m you will like the 12m.

BLACKJACK
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Brighton
Favorite Beaches: I love them all
Style: Old school
Gear: CORE GT kites,Flysurfer Speed 3, Ocean Rodeo Makos ,Flyradicals and HP Spleene Rip.

Postby BLACKJACK » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:21 am

Here is another solution, sell 13.5 Cult cos its far too large for current LEI ( unless you are very heavy), keep the small one for wind in excess of at least 25 knots, get 12m Speed 3 definetly in std fabric( unless you have too much money and dont worry about shorter life span and possible damage to delicate fabric) but also keep 10.5m Cult if you are happy with the kite.
Im not sure about 10.5 m Cult but for example 10.5m CORE has the same low end as my Speed 3 higher upper end and you can choose which kite you feel like flying on a day, since they are so diffrent its great option in my opinnion( for a number of reasons )and I would never sell my CORE 10.5, I belive you can have such option with your Cult 10.5.
If you do sell 10.5 you not only loose above option but as much as my experience goes you will not have comfortable ride in gusty 22/25 knots on S3 , Cult should handle such cond. with ease I belive just like CORE.

pdkite
Frequent Poster
Style: balls to the wall. don't hold back
Gear: 2006 Airush Lift 10m and 12m
2007 Liquid Force Recoil 130 x 39

Postby pdkite » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:57 am

i've tried flysurfers and they just don't compare to LEI's, as in they suck major donkey balls.

so once you just spend 2 minutes to pump your kite, you realize that the rigid structure of the LEI's make the kite respond to you. flysurfers can pull you, ya, but they don't perform like a LEI

they're soft in the air, and jump weird. they have no emergency rescue safety (don't float), and crumple in shitty gusty weather.

maybe they take the prize for lightwind, maybe not. but when there is for sure wind, use a LEI.

Carlos_C
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southend, Lancing, Hunstanton, sea Palling
Gear: Fuels, Speed 4, Sonic 2

Postby Carlos_C » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:00 am

PD - kiter - we don't care whether you liked the kites or not....the OP - likes how the S3 19 rides and wants more of it...the 12 will cover the range - and he will get a smooth riding hangtime machine

herculon
Medium Poster
Local Beach: steinhuder meer
Baltic sea: Rostock Warnemünde

Postby herculon » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:04 am

but there is a bit of truth in the statement of pdkite.

tubekites are more rigid in the air. this is an undenieable advantage. also during relaunch.
pumping though sucks.

i still wonder why single skin tube kites are so much heavier than twinskin flysurfers and other foils.
i think with new materials there will come a time, where very lightweigt tubes will show up, and then foils will have a hard time. zephyr is a first outing, with the problem of still not beeing really light.

the good old C-QUAD was already something highly interesting for low wind...

Return to “Kitesurfing”