Favorite Beaches: golden beach
Style: free riding
Gear: nomad 7M
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

The blue line of Zeeko Kite E.R.A system

Postby ericliang » Tue May 11, 2010 1:23 pm

I just bought a zeeko kite, and confused about the ERA blue line attatched with the strut.

I was wondering, why this ERA blue line has three nodes on it, and how does it work?

Thanks for answering~~

windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Airush/North/Ozone/RRD

Re: The blue line of ZEEKO KITE E.R.A system

Postby windsuks » Tue May 11, 2010 1:37 pm

Hi,

we have only ever used the middle knot on the blue line attached to the rear of the strut. This works fine for relaunch and the blue line is not too tight/slack when in normal use.

The ERA really is a fantastic feature of these great kites
Enjoy

ericliang
Rare Poster
Local Beach: golden beach

Re: The blue line of Zeeko Kite E.R.A system

Postby ericliang » Wed May 12, 2010 5:37 am

Thanks for your reply. Now I knew how it works.

Just let the tension not too loose or too tight, right?

windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Airush/North/Ozone/RRD

Postby windsuks » Wed May 12, 2010 11:43 am

Yup thats correct,
Happy winds :D

KitesurferRO
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: worldwide

Postby KitesurferRO » Wed May 12, 2010 2:13 pm

What is also cool about the E.R.A system; it is optional, if you don't want to use it, (don't drop the kite), the strut line can be stored on the scratch pocket and the blue line can be attached to the trailing edge pigtail.
http://zeeko-kites.com/interface/datas/ERA_UK.jpg

Zeeko Kites are amazing when it comes to tweaking the settings to fit your riding style, from 24m to 20m lines, hybrid style kite, intermediary and c-shape style attachment points.
Few pro: very big wind range, top of the line jumping height and hang time, good price.
etc.

http://www.kitesurferstore.com/2010-ZeekoKites.html

ericliang
Rare Poster
Local Beach: golden beach

Postby ericliang » Thu May 13, 2010 4:03 am

Thanks for your information, RO.

I have downloaded the document of ERA system, but it was french version, can't understead.

But this one is very useful, thanks again.

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:21 pm

I wonder if Zeeko was the first to come up with this idea? I like to follow the evolution of kiteboard design and invention, and believe in giving credit, where credit is due. Here is a picture of their system.

It looks like there is a little Handle, like an "O-Sh-t" handle. I wonder if this blue line and handle can give double duty as a "one line safety" system?
Attachments
Screen shot 2010-12-01 at 11.14.37 AM.png

Zeeko
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier, France
Style: all styles
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko

Postby Zeeko » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:25 am

Hi,

I'm Nicolas the designer from Zeeko.
Zeeko was the first brand to introduce this system on the Market (ERA system).
It allows to relaunch a kite very easily in low wind (minimum wind for the 14m is 6knots at the level of the kite with deep water).
I develop this system because I use a foilboard in light wind and contests, and the low end is very very low using a race board or a foil board (for the story I develop this system in winter when the water is very cold and you need to relaunch a kite as quick as possible).
Maybe some tried a similar system on their side, we never know what everybody do in the world, but Zeeko is the first to put it in production.
The target is to have a simple relaunching system (pull only one handle, let the handle when the kite is in the air, no need to pull one back line + one front line not too much etc....) without any influence on the flying ability.
A similar effect was done with the relaunching system on the Airblast, but it changed the feeling in bar and the depower rate.

The ones you discedit the system is because they didn't use it for sure. Most of the customer we had were sceptical at the beginning because it is a different system, but after using it (specially on big size kites) they love it (this is even perfect for girls and kids who ride kites in lighter winds)

This year we introduced a new feature on bar: the trimmable depower line length. This allows to short arms to reduce the distance of the power trim (or untwist the bars in kite loop) or use a long depower for waves as the trimming is doable during ride (the revolution is it doesn't induce any changes on the ktie trimming).

We try to develop new ideas outside the box, you'll see some more in the future,

to answer to the question of the ERA line usable as a safety device, I don't think it is a good idea, because it pulls at the opposite of the kite, a safety of one front line is more suitable and predictable (and it create less drag)
To use it as a safety device we should need to reinforce more the trailing, then increase the weight of the kite, this is not good.

Anyways, the ERA seems to be a good idea since more and more brands use it on their kites...
You know you have a good idea when some other brands use it.

Ride easy,

Nicolas

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:32 pm

Nicolas,

Thanks for responding to my questions. You are a very good inventor! Thank you for all the work it must have taken to create these 2 innovations for kiteboarding. I would not be surprized if others copied your new innovation (trimable depower line length)...which allows the rider to adjust the "throw" length of the power line, and also, the distance that the rider must reach, in order to grasp the "power-line adjuster" strap.

When I looked at the pictures, the rapidity made me dizzy, so I went to your site, and was better able to understand how the adjustment functioned. Here is a copy of the pictures for others to view in order to better understand the sequence of action. It looks like the double line that forms the "power line" forms a "loop" which goes through a ring at the top of the chicken loop mechanism and also goes through another ring located where the two front lines connect together, at the top of the "power line adjuster". It looks like there is a loop of power line rope, one end of which ties to the top of the "power line adjuster" and the other end of which ties to the bottom of the "power line adjuster". It looks like the "on-the-fly" rider can pull on this continuous loop of rope to move the "power line adjuster" mechanism, to an 'infinitely variable' position, along the doubled "power line", either higher up in position, allowing a longer "throw" or lower down in position, allowing the rider to more easily reach the depower strap.

Another kite manufacturer has attempted to solve the problem with short-armed people not being able to reach the depower strap, by inserting a long open coil compression spring above the "power line adjuster", which is intended to function, by pushing the whole adjustment mechanism downward.

Please correct me on any mistakes I have made in describing your invention...
Attachments
Screen shot 2010-12-02 at 8.53.38 AM.png

Zeeko
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier, France
Style: all styles
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko

Postby Zeeko » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:59 pm

Hi Tomatkins

Thanks for your interest. As you describe, the system is made by a loop of the depower line passing in rings on the bottom and on the top of the depower system this is why it as no influence on the trimming of the kite.

Videos are better than words, you can check the mecanism on the video below.

One different feature compare to the other bar of the market is the system is firmly adjusted. The plastic ball (the black one) acts as a locker of the system (don't forget to pull the bar after trimming the depower line lenght, this lock the movement of the rope). In this way, you can untwist lines during kiteloop, go for any board off without depowering too much the kite, or have some rest with big sizes kites. If you have a spring, it will depower the kite in the air when you let go off the 2 hands from the bar.

With my riding I change many times the trimming in one day, when I want to go in waves, jumps and kiteloops, I adjust it all the time.

Ride easy,

Nicolas

http://vimeo.com/14186119
[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/14186119[/vimeo]

Return to “Kitesurfing”