Wainman Rabbit vs Naish Park: what you don't like

Forum for kitesurfers
Er Presidente
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wainman Rabbit vs Naish Park: what you don't like

Postby Er Presidente » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:32 am

I am considering switching from Wainman to the new Naish Park.
the Rabbit so far has been the best kite i've owned, however there are few things which imho can still be improved:
1) safety setting in the bar: we read in this forum that when the kite is flagged on one center line, it can still have some power and start spinning.
2) bar center line swivel often get stucked with sands: when looping the kite the center lines might twist exposing them to potential tearing
3) no one pump inflation

The bar is definitely my reason #1 to change (mostly because of safety issue) but before doing that I would also like to hear weakness on the Naish Park..by looking at some early review it seems that the negatives could be:
1) weird sizing: the lack of a 9m kite means that a 2 kite quiver (8+12m) might not offer the same versatility of a 9+12m
2) long front bridle
3) ???

Thanks your help

topmick
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Wainman Rabbit vs Naish Park: what you don't like

Postby topmick » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:07 pm

3) No demo Parks around at the moment (in Oz ), come on Naish where are the demos. :(

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff

Postby jkrug » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:09 pm

Er Presidente wrote: 1) safety setting in the bar: we read in this forum that when the kite is flagged on one center line, it can still have some power and start spinning.
2) bar center line swivel often get stucked with sands: when looping the kite the center lines might twist exposing them to potential tearing
3) no one pump inflation
the Wainman bar is one of the reasons I remain loyal to the brand, it is simple, and therefore not prone to malfunction like so many other bars loaded with gadgets. every bar i ever used is also prone to the swivel getting stuck...often during very first session. i 've also had other brands swivel break apart on me mid-flight. not fun. never has happened to me on Wainman. if you rotate, just rotate the other way thereafter. keeps you fresh. and 'no one pump'...thank god. i spent far too many hours dealing with previous brand one-pump bladder leaks and repairs.

bottomline: the grass may look greener on the other side, but i've been there...it ain't. my only complaint on Wainman is pulleys...don't like 'em. but willing to put up with them cuz everything else is just about perfect.

Rossall
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blackpool and Como.
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras
Waddell
Tarifa
Gear: Follow the Rabbits
Brand Affiliation: Wainman Hawaii

Postby Rossall » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:45 pm

There is a new bar under development for 2011 I hear. My main problem i would have with the Park or many kites for that matter is the excessivley long bridles, one tumble in the waves and you will probably get a fast wrap rip scenario, why are they so long ? thats one thing the rabbit is great at, coming out of the rinse cycle in one piece and the rightway round. I think you will probably have to test them side by side to be hones but I am sure you get some good opinions on this thread !

Phil

kitenaked
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sherman Island - NorCal
Area 51
Style: not naked
Brand Affiliation: Kite Naked, JN Kites, Cabrinha, Shinn & Wainman

Postby kitenaked » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:59 pm

Naish kites have been prone to inversions in my past experience.

Take proper care of your gear and it will take care of you. Keep your pulleys and swivel spinning free with some TLC before every ride.

Chris

www.kitenaked.com

legrill83
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sandy Hook
Favorite Beaches: Delray, Whale harbor, LBI, Boca Grande, Hatteras
Gear: Wainman/Mystic/RRD

Postby legrill83 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:20 pm

2010 slingshot bars work perfect on my Wainman's. Better bar IMO and no modification needed :thumb:

Rossall
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blackpool and Como.
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras
Waddell
Tarifa
Gear: Follow the Rabbits
Brand Affiliation: Wainman Hawaii

Postby Rossall » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:47 pm

Bit industrial though the SS aren't they and with all that inovation it still rely's on a thin piece of elastic to hold it all together :o . Cabrinha 2010/11 looks better very tidy bar well thought out. We need to put the best of all bars into one I guess.

Phil

kitenaked
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sherman Island - NorCal
Area 51
Style: not naked
Brand Affiliation: Kite Naked, JN Kites, Cabrinha, Shinn & Wainman

Postby kitenaked » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:04 pm

Lots of riders use the SS bar for non SS kites. Nice bar, but handle is a little old design.

Using the SS bar on the Wainman's, make sure your steering lines are not too long else you will not get enough power.

I know at least one hard headed fool that insisted they ride the SS bar on one of my demo 9m Smokes. "That kite has no power..." blah blah blah

Finally made them use the Wainman bar...."that was awesome...the 9m Smoke is great"

Funny because we put the person on the 7m Gypsy.

Chris

www.kitenaked.com

dannyalvarez
Frequent Poster

Postby dannyalvarez » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:51 pm

Hey guys there has been reving about pulleys lately .... alot of them mainly stuck by sand and wear of the bridles this causes our session to end earlier .. here a solution to a problem the past 3 months IVe been testing these and they are just perfect no tear and wear and no stuck pulleys.. i ride the Rabbits but they work on any other kites ..chek them out! not trying to convince but yeah this makes our kites last a littlebit longer... peaceee...

NEW!!! The Ronstan Orbit Block kite pulley just hit the market. For anyone tired of going through pulleys and the danger of failing pulleys, this is the ticket. Way stronger with a 1200 lb rating, and fully ball bearing. These pulleys come set up with our custom stitched line going through the pulley so even if there is a failure you can still maintain control of the kite and there will be no wear on your bridle!
Attachments
6d98822160b03cc333dda606ae1a0162.jpg
6d98822160b03cc333dda606ae1a0162.jpg (10.83 KiB) Viewed 2430 times

sourra
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Slingshot Reflex 141 + Naish Torch/Cult/Momentum/Custom + Bluebottle Custom

Postby sourra » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:50 pm

Regarding Park vs Wainman: The Park has those kind of pulleys too and I can't say that they are more prone to invert than any other kite. But ok, so what don't I like?

What I don't like about the Park is that it's not available in any size smaller than 6m². On our big days, that's too big. It would be nice to see a 4.5 or something like that.

What I don't like about the Wainman is the lack of one-pump. I think the time saved pumping up is well worth the time lost when repairing a bladder. I'm not too fond of the bar pressure and the donkey dick either. The latter can really make it a bitch to hook back in if the loop has twisted upside down.

Return to “Kitesurfing”