JerseyPride
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Sandy Hook to Kite Island
Style: powered
Brand Affiliation: consumer

Re: Waveriding strapped but feeling unstrapped

Postby JerseyPride » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:00 pm

henningsurf wrote: (PS: the pic for the plates add was taken before I started using the dynabar.)

I think the guy in the picture is the creator of the product. haha sorry guy i guess this is a reality check

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby robertovillate » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:54 am

JerseyPride wrote: but what advantages to rotating straps offer?

lets say its pounding shorebreak and i can't ride strapless, why would i be interested in straps that rotate? wouldn't they be a less secure connection from my feet to my board?

i dont really change the angle of my feet on the board. if i am changing anything with my stance, i change the positioning of my feet forward or backward on the board, and that is mostly my back foot.
Just curious - are your feet really always in the same position?? Do you use wax, pads, straps?

I'd be a little surprised to hear that you don't move your feet a little. Perhaps less so with shorter boards. I ride a 5-3, 5-8 strapless only, and a 5-11 (strapped and strapless) and I can see from my foot tracks in the wax that I move my feet a fair amount - both for and aft AND some rotation. Depending on my point of sail/surf etc. my stance changes to optimize board trim, and when riding toeside vs normal stance there is also a noticeable change in foot position.

One thing that always drives me a little crazy with strapped boards is that the straps are never in the perfect position, sometimes completely wrong insert locations from the factory. Strapless riding is the best, but as I said not always feasible

JerseyPride wrote: an aside: i can understand the advantages of the dynabar, but i dont really think it will greatly improve my riding. when i first started, i would find myself walking around with my kite a lot, and i actually wished i had a sliding hook. but that was when i first started.. could be a good product for some, but not for me
Sure, Dynabar maybe not for everybody....just like not everyone likes twintips or directionals. And you're right the Dynabar is great for anyone walking kites up the beach, and it is also easier to body drag with.

But honestly - JP, have you tried either of these products? Some people try the Dynabar for a few minutes and fall in love with it. Some take a few sessions to dial it in. Some try it for a few minutes and don't have the patience to give it a real test...and others may simply not like it in the end - fair enough.

I have not tried the rotating bindings yet, but I'd be willing to give them a try, test them and comment though. The truth is that I prefer "simplicity" in terms of mechanical issues, especially in sand/salt water environments...but I guess I also enjoy giving new ideas a try....and if they work I'm more than happy to pass on the enthusiasm and/or see if there are ways to improve products.

jaystore
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Rome
Brand Affiliation: JAY

Postby jaystore » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:52 am

The need of rotating plates is also a snowkite issue! Here the solution.

twah
Medium Poster

Postby twah » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:56 am

please don't gay up other sports too. just stick to kiteboarding, can't get much worse anyway.

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:29 am

All you "too cool for school" fools might take time to notice that his reel leash is not even connected to anything. Which means he carries it for either his own self-rescue, or to help you recover your board.

Picture is not an air-brushed glossy of a pro. It's a real person. I agree. though... he doesn't look that relaxed....

I use the Dynabar and find it to be an excellent piece of equipment that adds a lot of flexibility to my riding. If you haven't tried it, you don't even know what it is.

poldo
Frequent Poster

Postby poldo » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:45 am

using a Dynabar freeride and very happy about it, now waiting to test the wave Dynabar.

mee to I'm not too interested in rotating footstraps (but could test them in new MAko), but thanks Jaystore to give us more options (then is personal choice to use or not) about kite equipment :thumb:

Feng
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Franceville, normandie, france
Favorite Beaches: beauduc south of france
Gear: Cab 13 SB, Cab 9 Xbow, Cab 8 2013 SB

Postby Feng » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:44 pm

jaystore wrote:The need of rotating plates is also a snowkite issue! Here the solution.
I am not sure I understand the added value of those rotating plates for kite snow.
If I understand the explanation in this thread, rotating binding for wave is usefull for toeside riding.
But in kitesnow, I almost never ride toeside (except after a reception of a 180 jump).

Regarding telemark, this is a relatively popular sport in Finland.
This is very efficient for cross country. But this a very hard sport.
In snowboard, the only difficulties is to move your ass (i.e. center of gravity) backward and foreward.
Goind downhill in freshsnow with telemarks requires "legs made in steel".

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:10 pm

Feng wrote:
jaystore wrote:The need of rotating plates is also a snowkite issue! Here the solution.
I am not sure I understand the added value of those rotating plates for kite snow.
If I understand the explanation in this thread, rotating binding for wave is usefull for toeside riding.
But in kitesnow, I almost never ride toeside (except after a reception of a 180 jump).

Regarding telemark, this is a relatively popular sport in Finland.
This is very efficient for cross country. But this a very hard sport.
In snowboard, the only difficulties is to move your ass (i.e. center of gravity) backward and foreward.
Goind downhill in freshsnow with telemarks requires "legs made in steel".
What is meant is that it gives a way better and more relaxed correct stance on a TT (or snowboard), when you can twist your feet :thumb:
Just like boots gives you a very locked and hard ride, compared to straps where you turn your back foot perpendicular, and your front foot more lengthwise - just like on a surfboard (or a directional snowboard where the boots are turned like this fixed)

So it is not regarding toeside riding (only)

:naughty: Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”